The NXT Discussion Thread

DJM

2 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

How does Bea Priestley keep getting work and yet not improving after all these years? She looks a danger in the ring, just clumsy.

Because she is very good at backstage Politics

Spoiler

I'm assuming Mandy is dropping the belt and Toxic Attraction moving up to the main roster to feud with Liv Morgan? Seems the perfect solution all way round; they have out grown NXT and they are the perfect anti-dote to Liv's gimmick and look.

I assume you’re all talking about Davenport?  She nearly broke Indi’s neck.. twice.  I’d be happy not to see her again, she’s not ready.

Huge potential generally in NXT right now - Breakker, Julius Brothers, Grayson Waller, Tiffany Stratton, Nikita Lyons, Carmello and Trick.. lots of really good young wrestlers.

Quite a lot of dross too though, and a lot of it on this card.  Briggs and Jensen are a rotten, dated gimmick.  Chance and Carter are also awful, just no chemistry and I don't rate either of them in the ring.

Most oddly, Apollo Crews looks completely lost in NXT - he's awkward as hell, and Grayson Waller is so charismatic he just makes Crews look even more bland than usual.

• Paid Members

Didn't see a World's Collide thread and didn't think there would be enough discussion to warrant its own thread.

Fuck me, Carmelo Hayes is the real deal, isn't he? Cool, has it on the mic and quality in the ring. I can see big things for him and Trick, especially now old Vinny has gone. 

• Paid Members

Fun little show. I don't watch NXT regularly, so it's fun to dip in and out and see how guys are improving.

Brilliant video game opener. Carmelo Hayes is the most exciting guy in NXT. Total package. He's ready for the main roster right now.

The Creed Brothers aren't ready for the main roster but that's half the charm. Two brilliant oafs chucking guys about. I love them.

Roderick Strong being written out? Maybe Tony Khan getting rid of Bobby Fish makes sense after all! Roderick was always the better member of Undisputed Era, anyway.

Mandy Rose looks to have also improved massively. Genuinely impressive outing. Maybe 2.0 really is the better version of NXT, where stars are truly developed rather than just hiring all the top indy talent to do PWG and ROH matches on national TV.

NXT UK in the mud though! Unless I'm mistaken, it was a clean sweep with all of the NXT UK talent losing. You wonder if some of these poor bastards might be best switching their phones off tomorrow. It wouldn't surprise me at all if some of them get cut. Specifically Gallus. Surely they're not being kept around for long? Waste of space, the lot of them.

• Paid Members

I bloody love the Creed Brothers. The sort of lads you'd see pop up in mid-90s Japanese shoot style promotions, seemingly out of nowhere, then disappear just as suddenly, developing a weird cult following online, but otherwise completely unheard of. There are few things I like in wrestling more than a Greco-Roman guy just being an absolute freak, and Julius Creed is that, with Brutus as his Rick Steiner-esque weird brother to complete the act. First time seeing them beyond GIFs, and they're bloody brilliant.

Absolutely lost it at Gallus. All of the people they've released, and Wolfgang is still getting a big payday. The mind boggles.

Tyler Bate is fantastic, but really makes you question what NXT UK (and to a lesser extent, NXT proper) was ever really for in the first place. He hasn't developed as either a worker or a character one bit since he first debuted. Still doing all the same stuff. It makes me feel very old hearing him described as a ten year veteran, but still doing "big strong boy" at 25 has none of the charm it did at 17/18, and him being freakishly strong and talented is less impressive at 25 than when he was a bit of a boy wonder. You'd expect a guy who's been wrestling ten years to be pretty good at it by now, so what else does he bring to the table? 

There's a massive What If? for him, had he spent those years of his athletic prime working somewhere that let him wrestle more than 10-15 times a year.

• 1 month later...

I've just watched the rubber match in the Axiom/Frazer best of 3 series and can't believe I've seen nobody talk about it on any of my socials so far.

Both seemed to work together so smoothly like they've been wrestling each other for years and the counter into counter spots were executed almost flawlessly at such speed. I especially liked the Phoenix Splash into triangle choke. Both men made each others stuff looms really good. 

I dip in and out of NXT and can definitely see a lot of upside in Nathan Frazer going forward. You can certainly see the Seth Rollins influence within him!

• 2 weeks later...