The NXT Discussion Thread

DJM

• Paid Members
48 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

What exactly “died”? There’s still dozens and dozens of promotions, some regularly selling out venues and some without announcing any matches because they have such a strong following. It’s not exactly a barren wasteland out there if you want to watch “the wrestling”. 

This is always what I think when people trott out the WWE killed the UK scene arguement. The UK scene has been peaks and valleys for the last 20 years, NXT UK was brought in as a response to WoS more than anything and as mentioned, there are still plenty of company's running shows to packed out venues. 

Admittedly, I'm not as up on the British scene as I once was, but it's certainly not dead. ICW are running a show in Cardiff after the PPV, the same night I believe. 

The interesting thing to watch now, will be to see where the NXT UK lot fit in now, that there are other up and comers that have filled their slots (oo-er) while they have been under contracts. 

Edited by Nick James

44 minutes ago, The Dart said:

People always say WWE killed the UK scene because they signed all the top stars.

I must have missed the day they signed Will Ospreay, Zack Sabre Jr, Jimmy Havoc, Marty Scurll, Doug Williams.

And Danny Boy Johnson. 

The scenes not dead, it’s just not interesting at the moment. I think a lotta the released guys are gonna be surprised how little money is there now that’s a lotta companies have gotten used to paying lower rates and making profits since reopening. That kinda high pay can get you an ex wwe main roster guy who’s gonna have a massive line for photos at the interval 

• Paid Members

I don't think there's anyone in the NXT UK releases that's going to upset the apple cart in terms of pay, and so long as promoters don't try and bring them all in at once, it's not going to throw off the pecking order anywhere.

The problem is that NXT UK is such a non-entity that nobody is leaving it with more name value or momentum than they went in with. Mark Andrews Tweeted a list of tag teams that him and Flash would like to work with, and it honestly reads as just as delusional as if a no-name indie guy put it out there - these guys are coming back to a world (and not just in the UK) that has moved on without them, and doesn't really have a place for them any more.

There are some that will do well - Millie McKenzie has the world laid out for her, Nina Samuels has been keeping her oar in, attending and mucking in at indie shows and training schools to a far greater extent than anyone else that I know of in NXT UK, so she will be coming with a lot of goodwill that I don't know the rest of the crew will have. 

For some of them, there just isn't the old scene there any more - the Midlands and Welsh scenes aren't what they were, to say the least. Assuming they all stay in wrestling, and all stay in the UK, it's honestly tough to figure out where some of these wrestlers fit today.

12 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I don't think there's anyone in the NXT UK releases that's going to upset the apple cart in terms of pay, and so long as promoters don't try and bring them all in at once, it's not going to throw off the pecking order anywhere.

The problem is that NXT UK is such a non-entity that nobody is leaving it with more name value or momentum than they went in with. Mark Andrews Tweeted a list of tag teams that him and Flash would like to work with, and it honestly reads as just as delusional as if a no-name indie guy put it out there - these guys are coming back to a world (and not just in the UK) that has moved on without them, and doesn't really have a place for them any more.

There are some that will do well - Millie McKenzie has the world laid out for her, Nina Samuels has been keeping her oar in, attending and mucking in at indie shows and training schools to a far greater extent than anyone else that I know of in NXT UK, so she will be coming with a lot of goodwill that I don't know the rest of the crew will have. 

For some of them, there just isn't the old scene there any more - the Midlands and Welsh scenes aren't what they were, to say the least. Assuming they all stay in wrestling, and all stay in the UK, it's honestly tough to figure out where some of these wrestlers fit today.

A few can rely on the sale of foam hands and backstage passes I'm sure. All jokes aside All Star and the like (assuming they still go strong) will lap up using someone who doesn't need visas that they can slap a WWE logo on the poster with. A whole NXT:UK "outrage" tour will surely appear at some point 

It doesn't look like they're bothering with no compete clauses as Eddie Dennis has already shown up at Rev Pro yesterday and is booked in a match this weekend for Progress.

I'm sure they'll all be fine. Wouldn't be surprised to see a new Wales/Midlands promotion pop up either, possibly resurrecting Attack with Andrews/Webster at the helm. Then they can book themselves into all of the dream tag matches they like.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Jonny Vegas said:

No compete clauses are generally only for significant PPV/TV appearances I believe.

No. In fact, the “no complete  clause” is a total misnomer ; when a wrestler is said to be released by the company this waiting period is actually a notice period where they’re still under contract getting paid a pro rata amount of their downside and actually, they’re still under legal contract which is exclusive rights to work in professional wrestling and MMA. Unless the contract is terminated because of a breach (in which case the company can enforce a 12 month notice) as of August 2021 the standard was still 90 days for a main roster contract or 30 for developmental. This is all gleaned from a contract that got shared/leaked in full, not just “scoopz” sites twaddle.

So the “no compete” thing is actually a means the talent still gets paid for a period after WWE decides they don’t need them anymore. So it should be no surprise that with Eddie Dennis and the couple of dozen other of his ilk they didn’t bother with such a requirement, wanting to cut the cord/costs at their immediate discretion and knowing most UK Indy workers would sign anything.

• Paid Members
Spoiler

The funny thing being that this is a classic "lover conquers all" reunion story but the "all" that tore them apart to begin with was the very real removal of Dexter from the roster. Wrestling is about the only storytelling medium where the story incorporates the reality and gets away with it. Imagine EastEnders bringing a character back and we the viewers actually being meant to acknowledge they were gone because the actor had a contract dispute and not because the character was in jail or whatever.

Although I suppose Roseanne did (tongue-in-cheek) acknowledge Elliot from Scrubs replacing OG Becky. Probably where Vince got the idea for Fake Razor and Fake Diesel. Probably thought the Conners were a fair representation of his audience too. 

Re : above.