The NXT Discussion Thread

DJM

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, westlondonmist said:

Nothing wrong with the idea of ladder matches as the ones from the 90s (although there was probably single figures in WWE) used the ladder to tell a story, and a good one, without the silly bumps. The problem is with the idea of having ladder matches monthly and each trying to outdo the previous one's big spot. 

Both Shawn vs Razor prior to WrestleMania X and Double J vs Razor went on the road with the ladder in 94/95 and even if the relatively safer early style of the match, the Bad Guy still picked up a rib injury in one that kept him out of King of the Ring 95. If that had been a highly promoted title match he’d missed and not just an eventual job to Mabel, I imagine they might have drawn a line through ladder matches as “not worth it” there and then.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, air_raid said:

WWE being so keen to make sure everyone knows not to “try this at home” and yet have the wrestlers do stuff that shouldn’t be tried anywhere.

They also put a kid on the Saturday pre-show panel for a segment solely because he has got TikTok famous for recreating finishers with his mates, asked two of the NFL guys who appeared on Sunday's pre-show if they used to try moves out when they were kids (one stating he tried the Tombstone "about 1000 times before I figured out how to do it right" which got a laugh from the panel) & showed McAfee doing wrestling moves on a trampoline when he was a kid to show how much he loves this shit.

Sounds to me like trying it at home is really good fun that might result in the company asking you to get involved at Mania weekend.

5 minutes ago, Statto said:

They also put a kid on the Saturday pre-show panel for a segment solely because he has got TikTok famous for recreating finishers with his mates, asked two of the NFL guys who appeared on Sunday's pre-show if they used to try moves out when they were kids (one stating he tried the Tombstone "about 1000 times before I figured out how to do it right" which got a laugh from the panel) & showed McAfee doing wrestling moves on a trampoline when he was a kid to show how much he loves this shit.

Sounds to me like trying it at home is really good fun that might result in the company asking you to get involved at Mania weekend.

But it’s like ‘please drink/gamble/call babestation responsibly’. They’re just putting it there so they can’t get sued by someone who turned their neck into a bag of dust taking a pile driver from their cousin on the patio.

They’ve always celebrated people wrestling at home - Foley and Jeff Hardy in particular jump to mind.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Don't know if it's just me but I thought this was absolutely turgid this week. I know many of them are only 30 or so matches into their TV careers, but some of the execution across the board looked absolutely awful. They're all gaining experience and it's a live show etc and I appreciate that, but some of this mob are all over the shop. 

It's odd because it ranges too - you've got the likes of Solo Sikoa who can barely nail a splash without looking like a toddler leaping into a paddling pool, then you've got a more experienced veteran like Natalya who took about 10 minutes to nail the Sharpshooter, or Dakota Kai and Mandy Rose just fumbling their way through a miserable 15 minutes. 

I don't think many of this crew are going to go on to be very successful - they are walking so that the next generation of recruits after this lot are released can run. 

• Paid Members

Mandy Rose wrestling in slow motion was something to behold. She’s been wrestling since 2015 and has already gone through this system once before. What does it say that people seemingly get worse the more time they spend in developmental, yet lads like Logan Paul and Pat McAfee, with a tiny bit of athleticism and an understanding of showmanship, can walk in and put on ten times the performance of all their trainees?

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

Mandy Rose wrestling in slow motion was something to behold. She’s been wrestling since 2015 and has already gone through this system once before.

She was really impressive at the PPV too, she seems to have days where she looks good, and days where she looks shit.

I don't know how anyone can watch the Creed Brothers and not think that they're going to be a big thing though, that Gauntlet Match was a fantastic effort.  I am NOT sure about the new UK version of Chuck and Billy though.

What does it say that people seemingly get worse the more time they spend in developmental, yet lads like Logan Paul and Pat McAfee, with a tiny bit of athleticism and an understanding of showmanship, can walk in and put on ten times the performance of all their trainees?

I don't know if you saw it, but Marina Shafir's debut on AEW was just... awful.  She spent years in Performance Centre, was deemed not good enough even for NXT, and she's sent out on Dynamite as a major threat.  In her case, she's clearly got the new gig based on her reputation, but a lot of the rubbish NXT guys it seems like WWE doesn't want to admit they have wasted their money.

On 4/14/2022 at 10:40 AM, Supremo said:

Mandy Rose wrestling in slow motion was something to behold. She’s been wrestling since 2015 and has already gone through this system once before. What does it say that people seemingly get worse the more time they spend in developmental, yet lads like Logan Paul and Pat McAfee, with a tiny bit of athleticism and an understanding of showmanship, can walk in and put on ten times the performance of all their trainees?

Think back to 80s and 90s wrestling, it was a lot of showmen with athleticism. Being charismatic and understanding of showmanship can't be taught, well the later to an extent. Think back to guys like Hogan, Flair, Sting, Hart, Michaels, Steiners, Road Warriors, Piper and even Nash. They were all charismatic, most still good in ring but they were popular on the circuit in the 80s due to being able to tell the visiting crowd who may not have seen them before know straight away whether to back them or boo them. 

• Paid Members

Apparently, and further to Vince's recent decision that nobody is allowed to wrestle under their real name or previous gimmick name Kay Lee Ray is being renamed Alba Fyre, and Kacy Catanzaro is to be henceforth known as Katana Chance. 

https://cultaholic.com/posts/two-nxt-stars-receive-new-names

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I winder whether we'll get a quick Timesplitters reunion in Impact before he heads back.

Probably arrive back before he left.