The NXT Discussion Thread

DJM

• Paid Members

(Checks 20 year old pop culture notes)

Gaming! Gamings on the up, isn’t it? Call it Level Up! Hey if it proves popular maybe we can get the speccy guys to make a game the fans can play on their Nokia.

• Paid Members

Putting a camera man inside the ring for the cage match on last night’s show was super weird. Not even standing on the apron, the lad was square in the centre of the ring, getting close ups on faces! You could sense what a nightmare all the other camera operators were having trying to shoot the match without showing him. God knows what it must have looked like live in the arena. At best, it just felt silly with the guys trying to play and sell to the camera right in their face and at worst it gave me awful motion sickness, like watching the match in VR.

Edited by Supremo

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, air_raid said:

(Checks 20 year old pop culture notes)

Gaming! Gamings on the up, isn’t it? Call it Level Up! Hey if it proves popular maybe we can get the speccy guys to make a game the fans can play on their Nokia.

That, or Michael Gove's making moves into sports entertainment.

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Putting a camera man inside the ring for the cage match on last night’s show was super weird. Not even standing on the apron, the lad was square in the centre of the ring, getting close ups on faces! You could sense what a nightmare all the other camera operators were having trying to shoot the match without showing him. God knows what it must have looked like live in the arena. At best, it just felt silly with the guys trying to play and sell to the camera right in their face and at worst it gave me awful motion sickness, like watching the match in VR.

Whilst its a ridiculous concept, isn't this sort of thing what NXT is for now? To try out new ideas and see if they work as opposed to trying them on Raw? Or am I giving too much credit?

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I watched a little bit of it after falling asleep on the sofa. Why is LA Park doing a  tribute act to Stone Cold Steve Austin?

It's a bit early to be campaigning for the failed comedian award isn't it?

Knight has been doing that gimmick for a while now, since his last run the NWA if not before, so it's not a new thing particularly. It's not great and I can't see him going anywhere in NXT or the main roster with it though.  

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, mim731 said:

It's a bit early to be campaigning for the failed comedian award isn't it?

Knight has been doing that gimmick for a while now, since his last run the NWA if not before, so it's not a new thing particularly. It's not great and I can't see him going anywhere in NXT or the main roster with it though.  

It wasn't an attempt at a joke. It was an observation and probably the worst sequence for me to watch for the first time of this gimmick as there were even police offices sent to the ring to arrest him. The only time I saw him in NXT before that was when he started the Million Dollar Man run. But he had the mannorisms and almost the same vocal delivery and catchphrases like Stone Cold would have. But I barely remember him in Impact (i Stopped paying attention not long after he joined) and never saw his NWA run, so you explained it well.

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

33 minutes ago, Nick James said:

Whilst its a ridiculous concept, isn't this sort of thing what NXT is for now? To try out new ideas and see if they work as opposed to trying them on Raw? Or am I giving too much credit?

I actually thought it was really interesting.  Bear in mind, when GLOW put the cameras right by the ring people thought it was bizarre, but it quickly became standard and we all are used to seeing the cameramen in shot.

I'm not sure it's appropriate for all match types, but in the cage the immediate advantage is clear vision, and a match that's not super athletic and can be laid out on one axis (top left to bottom right) it worked as the cameraman stayed in bottom left all match.

It also meant that we got a LOT less camera cuts - there were minute long shots from the camera inside the ring, which was a pleasant change from the normal ADHD WWE camera editing.

The superplex that landed alongside the camera looked awesome as well.

It's not perfect - I think with the camera that close they need to do less of the impact wobble and zoom they've been adding over the last few years.  But it's an interesting idea and the sort of thing that's only possible in wrestling.  It's not a completely new idea either - they've had cameramen inside the Hell In A Cell before, and inside Wargames too.

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, Nick James said:

Yeah, totally. I haven’t watched NXT in ages but this definitely felt like the most experimental of all their shows. Not only did you have the VR camera man but they had loads of Lucha Underground-style mini-movies too. It’s a mad little show combining all these weird touches with all this green as grass talent and bright colours. Like a fever dream.

The funny thing is how almost every experiment moves the product further and further away from being portrayed as a sporting event, geared towards the live audience first and then the TV audience second. The direction they’re going, pumping in the crowd noise and having the fucking camera man in the ring itself, shooting closeups, you wonder how long it’ll be until they just abandon having a live crowd entirely.

Edited by Supremo

1 hour ago, Loki said:

they've had cameramen inside the Hell In A Cell before, and inside Wargames too.

Bit different, as they weren't actually in the ring.   

They've done things before when a cameraman will jump in the ring for a big move usually the finish, they did it quite regularly on Superstars years ago, but a cameraman being in the ring for the whole match seems insane, but I haven't seen it yet, so I don't know if it's good or not.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, andrew "the ref" coyne said:

And time wise is going to head to head with AEW Rampage. Stay classy WWE.

I mean, this is a bit of a reach, isn't it? I'm sure not even people in WWE would see this as counter programming, there are about 5 viewers for 205 Live currently, and 4 of them are backstage monitors, NXT: Level Up or whatever it is, is hardly like extending Smackdown by an hour.