Minor Annoyances (Vol 2)

51 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

Forced fun at work.

Worst are those "team building" bits at the start of a full day meeting where some people try way too hard to pretend to like each other and be really excited to be there, some cunt tries to show how great they are to someone important and we waste the first 45 minutes of the day watching a handful of people be wacky to cover having no genuine personality because they live at work 60 hours a week. 

Especially so when I've got up at 5 for a call and I know everyone knows everyone and everyone thinks I'm a cunt so we loose nothing by just getting to the fucking point. 

In an event that wouldn’t be out of a place in an episode of the office , a few years ago at a day long “workshop” about having “difficult conversations” they did a quick roundtable were we all had to talk about a time at work when we needed to have a difficult conversation….

The lad beside me, was late and missed the intro, and he had to go first…

He started talking about how his wife was becoming an alcoholic and how he has had to have a few difficult conversations with her about it…..he went into it a bit.

Very awkward…

Edited by RancidPunx

• Paid Members

That's one of the reasons the UK version of The Office did so well - it really did capture that exact horror of a workforce towards a crappy workplace that actively tries (and regularly fails) to be "cool".

As the great Sir Terry Pratchett said: "There’s a certain type of manager who is known by his call of 'My door is always open', and it is probably a good idea to beat yourself to death with your own CV rather than work for him".

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

I’ve got a second interview soon for a job that boasts “away days” and “hackathons”. I actually asked in the first interview, if I took the job on less money, could I not attend those please.

The called me back for a second interview, so maybe they admired my honesty.

That's absolutely tremendous! 

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

People who don’t listen on the most basic of levels-

“Good Afternoon...”

”...Morning”

Well then don’t say good afternoon before 12pm then. That happens a lot at my work but mainly because we have a mix of UK and US team members 

I think you’ve misconstrued what I’ve meant.

It comes from where I work, sometimes I work as a Greeter on the door. If it’s morning, I’ll say “good morning”, once it’s afternoon I’ll say “good afternoon”. But everyday you can guarantee it will happen where you say “good afternoon” and they’ll replay with “good morning” or just “morning” as I posted a moment ago.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

People who don’t listen on the most basic of levels-

“Good Afternoon...”

”...Morning”

I'll hold my hand up here, but I tend to say "morning" until I say "evening" and just miss afternoon completely. It's not a purposely planned response, it's something automatic. 

That's said if you really want to test people on that when they ask how you are answer but don't ask them back, the amount of people who answer a question never posed is delightful. 

• Paid Members
On 8/13/2021 at 1:49 PM, Tommy! said:

Forced fun at work.

Ah yes.  A year into my current job, we were forced to endure an Escape Room experience. I have nothing against them if you are with people you can communicate well with, but this version of my team were awful at it. Also - we got split into two teams and I ended up with our gung-ho, Head of Department who was just desperate to have a good time.

It would have been easier for us to escape our actual office and saved the firm ÂŁ500.

1 hour ago, marc2j said:

Ah yes.  A year into my current job, we were forced to endure an Escape Room experience. I have nothing against them if you are with people you can communicate well with, but this version of my team were awful at it. Also - we got split into two teams and I ended up with our gung-ho, Head of Department who was just desperate to have a good time.

It would have been easier for us to escape our actual office and saved the firm ÂŁ500.

The only benefit is that it's on company time. 

At one of my old places we had a corporate day out on a Friday with a charity lean (obviously a good thing) but they'd try and make you stay over and go out at night and stay into Saturday. Sod that.

One year, we were in Nottingham, and I raised all my money within an hour and then went and sat by the Brian Clough statue for the rest of the day reading. Bliss. Then used the 'family emergency' excuse and fucked off home on the train in first class paid for. 

On 8/16/2021 at 5:31 PM, marc2j said:

I had a manager who despite multiple times being told I wouldn't come along as organised fun and big groups were not my thing( I'm not keen but I just fucking hated the current crop of teachers and was on my way out to a better job) wouldn't have it and kept signing me up and even paid in advance for my place. She actually got shitty with me for a few days after until cover was needed for one of the alcoholic plebs she'd recently employed. 

On 8/16/2021 at 4:15 PM, Tommy! said:

I'll hold my hand up here, but I tend to say "morning" until I say "evening" and just miss afternoon completely. It's not a purposely planned response, it's something automatic. 

That's said if you really want to test people on that when they ask how you are answer but don't ask them back, the amount of people who answer a question never posed is delightful. 

I have a habit of doing this from working in an old style pub years ago with a lunchtime shift or "morning" shift as it was known 11-3 and evening shift 6-11. The old landlady insisted we greeted guests with good morning based on this traditional set up. 

• Paid Members
On 8/16/2021 at 10:15 AM, Tommy! said:

I get that a lot.

”Hi raid, how are you?”

”I’m great Karen, can I help you?”

”Yeah, good thanks. What I need is…”

I witnessed the lad who wrote “Deets” on the message board in work double ask the new girl if she was ok the other day.

Deets: Hi new girl are you ok?

New Girl: Yeah, you?

Deets: Yeah I’m good, you?

I cringe hard for that mother fucker every day.