Minor Annoyances (Vol 2)

• Paid Members

"Number 6" has entered the vernacular more recently, meaning "defensive midfielder". I heard a lot of Norwich fans talk about our "double 6" last season (also referred to as "double pivot", apparently).

At the risk of derailing the thread entirely but in reference to @Dazzer's original post on the subject, I found this video very interesting:

Ā 

11 minutes ago, Statto said:

also referred to as "double pivot", apparently).

Language evolves, as does the way we speak and referenceĀ things such asĀ  sports, and that's all good, but this is the absolute fucking worst. It is so meaningless, and is pure The Athletic wank speak.

Having said that, you're bang on about Tifo. Excellent content.

• Awards Moderator
24 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

"WHAT PLAY YOU"

It was a Lord of the Rings reference when I started the first thread of that nearly twenty years ago. Time to lock the thread and start again with a less crap title.

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, Dazzer said:

I really hate football positions being referred to by a number, especially as numbers are interchangeable depending on where you are. Ā In Brazil 6 is a left back, in the UK it was always a centre back and in Europe it was a more defensive midfielder (which I would always have as 4). Ā It also meant more before squad numbers became a thing and needs to fuck off. Ā Mason Mount is an attacking midfielder not a "number 10".

The only position I'll accept this sort of behaviour for is in goalkeeper.

The numbers thing has become annoying quickly. The Football Manager abbreviations grate on me too. We had a lad turn up to 6 aside and tell us he was a "CDM". It's fucking 6 aside mate, you're everything except goalie.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Cod Eye said:

The only real time I've ever heard numbers used over position names, is No.9 an No.10. No.9 because it is the traditional number for your main striker(and was everywhere as far as I know), and No.10 being more of a non-British thing where it was assigned to the most talented, creative attacking midfielder/deeper playing forward

Iā€™ve had people try and con me into thinking that number 9 was always the main striker and 10 the ā€œsecond strikerā€ or link up man but I simply donā€™t agree. Lineker wore 10 for Spurs and England, Michael Owen wore 10. Rooney only wore 9 for England because Owen was 10 and as soon as Owen stopped getting picked, Rooney wore 10 as often the only striker on the team.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, air_raid said:

Iā€™ve had people try and con me into thinking that number 9 was always the main striker and 10 the ā€œsecond strikerā€ or link up man but I simply donā€™t agree. Lineker wore 10 for Spurs and England, Michael Owen wore 10. Rooney only wore 9 for England because Owen was 10 and as soon as Owen stopped getting picked, Rooney wore 10 as often the only striker on the team.

Traditionally, the No.9 was always the main striker over here, and I think it was the fact that the No10 shirt was "moved" back into midfield if, god forbid, someone didn't play 4,4 fucking 2. Obviously there are exceptions(Linekar, as you say), though. I'd also say it's something to do with the mystical way other countries view the number 10.Ā 

It's all for nothing now anyway, what with squad numbers.Ā 

• Paid Members
On 8/3/2021 at 6:23 PM, air_raid said:

Alan Shearer wore number 9 for the Rovers, and Newcastle & England.Ā 

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Alan Shearer wore number 9 for the Rovers, and Newcastle & England.Ā 

Iā€™m saying number 10 wasnā€™t always a second striker or link man.