Paid Members Statto Posted August 3, 2021 Paid Members Posted August 3, 2021 "Number 6" has entered the vernacular more recently, meaning "defensive midfielder". I heard a lot of Norwich fans talk about our "double 6" last season (also referred to as "double pivot", apparently). At the risk of derailing the thread entirely but in reference to @Dazzer's original post on the subject, I found this video very interesting: Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted August 3, 2021 Members Posted August 3, 2021 11 minutes ago, Statto said: also referred to as "double pivot", apparently). Language evolves, as does the way we speak and reference things such as sports, and that's all good, but this is the absolute fucking worst. It is so meaningless, and is pure The Athletic wank speak. Having said that, you're bang on about Tifo. Excellent content. Quote
Paid Members tiger_rick Posted August 3, 2021 Paid Members Posted August 3, 2021 "WHAT PLAY YOU" Quote
Paid Members Onyx2 Posted August 3, 2021 Paid Members Posted August 3, 2021 24 minutes ago, tiger_rick said: "WHAT PLAY YOU" It was a Lord of the Rings reference when I started the first thread of that nearly twenty years ago. Time to lock the thread and start again with a less crap title. Quote
Paid Members tiger_rick Posted August 3, 2021 Paid Members Posted August 3, 2021 17 hours ago, Dazzer said: I really hate football positions being referred to by a number, especially as numbers are interchangeable depending on where you are. In Brazil 6 is a left back, in the UK it was always a centre back and in Europe it was a more defensive midfielder (which I would always have as 4). It also meant more before squad numbers became a thing and needs to fuck off. Mason Mount is an attacking midfielder not a "number 10". The only position I'll accept this sort of behaviour for is in goalkeeper. The numbers thing has become annoying quickly. The Football Manager abbreviations grate on me too. We had a lad turn up to 6 aside and tell us he was a "CDM". It's fucking 6 aside mate, you're everything except goalie. Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted August 3, 2021 Paid Members Posted August 3, 2021 Robbie Savage is the worst for this. Aside from being a clattering knobhead at the best of times, his commentary is made even worse with his numbers references. Quote
Paid Members air_raid Posted August 3, 2021 Paid Members Posted August 3, 2021 4 hours ago, Cod Eye said: The only real time I've ever heard numbers used over position names, is No.9 an No.10. No.9 because it is the traditional number for your main striker(and was everywhere as far as I know), and No.10 being more of a non-British thing where it was assigned to the most talented, creative attacking midfielder/deeper playing forward I’ve had people try and con me into thinking that number 9 was always the main striker and 10 the “second striker” or link up man but I simply don’t agree. Lineker wore 10 for Spurs and England, Michael Owen wore 10. Rooney only wore 9 for England because Owen was 10 and as soon as Owen stopped getting picked, Rooney wore 10 as often the only striker on the team. Quote
Paid Members Cod Eye Posted August 3, 2021 Paid Members Posted August 3, 2021 1 hour ago, air_raid said: I’ve had people try and con me into thinking that number 9 was always the main striker and 10 the “second striker” or link up man but I simply don’t agree. Lineker wore 10 for Spurs and England, Michael Owen wore 10. Rooney only wore 9 for England because Owen was 10 and as soon as Owen stopped getting picked, Rooney wore 10 as often the only striker on the team. Traditionally, the No.9 was always the main striker over here, and I think it was the fact that the No10 shirt was "moved" back into midfield if, god forbid, someone didn't play 4,4 fucking 2. Obviously there are exceptions(Linekar, as you say), though. I'd also say it's something to do with the mystical way other countries view the number 10. It's all for nothing now anyway, what with squad numbers. Quote
WyattSheepMask Posted August 5, 2021 Posted August 5, 2021 People who say welp, as in “welp...better get job hunting”, instead of well. Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted August 5, 2021 Paid Members Posted August 5, 2021 It's not instead of well is it? It's sort of an expression of fear/resignation. Quote
Paid Members Tommy! Posted August 5, 2021 Paid Members Posted August 5, 2021 From dictionary.com interjection Nonstandard. an informal variant of well used to indicate disappointment, resignation, or acceptance at the beginning of an utterance. Quote
WyattSheepMask Posted August 5, 2021 Posted August 5, 2021 Well (or should that be welp?) I’ve learned something today. I stand by it though. Welp just sounds like it wouldn’t ever be said out loud Quote
Moderators Chest Rockwell Posted August 5, 2021 Moderators Posted August 5, 2021 It has only evolved a written form specifically because it was something said out loud. Quote
Paid Members Jazzy G Posted August 5, 2021 Paid Members Posted August 5, 2021 On 8/3/2021 at 6:23 PM, air_raid said: I’ve had people try and con me into thinking that number 9 was always the main striker and 10 the “second striker” or link up man but I simply don’t agree. Lineker wore 10 for Spurs and England, Michael Owen wore 10. Rooney only wore 9 for England because Owen was 10 and as soon as Owen stopped getting picked, Rooney wore 10 as often the only striker on the team. Alan Shearer wore number 9 for the Rovers, and Newcastle & England. Quote
Paid Members air_raid Posted August 5, 2021 Paid Members Posted August 5, 2021 32 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said: Alan Shearer wore number 9 for the Rovers, and Newcastle & England. I’m saying number 10 wasn’t always a second striker or link man. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.