Paid Members gmoney Posted July 14, 2021 Paid Members Posted July 14, 2021 11 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said: Oasis is probably a bad example there, as Noel himself has come out and said he doesn't know what half his lyrics are about; they just scan and sound good. But that's my point? I don't think it's genius. I think it's a pop lyric. Quote
Moderators Chest Rockwell Posted July 14, 2021 Moderators Posted July 14, 2021 46 minutes ago, gmoney said: Song lyrics like that are fine, I don't think you should concern yourself with them. August wouldn't scan. You can't say "nobody would ever say" in this case, because they're not, they're singing it. In a song. I always see people getting het up about that Oasis lyric "Slowly walking down the hall, faster than a cannonball" as if it's some massive mistake and they must dunk on it. Actually, this is my minor annoyance, people picking apart the logic of song lyrics. For the most part I agree with this but for some reason it does bug me specifically when people Yoda their lyrics in order to make them rhyme. It's definitely irrational but for some reason it's just not pleasing to my ear. It somehow breaks my immersion. Quote
wordsfromlee Posted July 14, 2021 Posted July 14, 2021 The lyric that has always annoyed me the most for some reason is from Jailbreak by Thin Lizzy. “Tonight there’s gonna be a jailbreak. Somewhere in this town” Probably the jail most likely, Phil. Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted July 14, 2021 Paid Members Posted July 14, 2021 What if there's more than one jail? Quote
Keith Houchen Posted July 14, 2021 Posted July 14, 2021 1 minute ago, gmoney said: What if there's more than one jail? And a prisoner is being transferred between then. Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted July 14, 2021 Paid Members Posted July 14, 2021 I like taking apart Oasis lyrics mainly because I hate them and they're fucking shit. But if you take that approach with everyone you couldn't enjoy bangers like this. Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted July 14, 2021 Paid Members Posted July 14, 2021 32 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said: And a prisoner is being transferred between then. And they're being transported by G4S. Guaranteed jailbreak. Quote
Paid Members Tommy! Posted July 14, 2021 Paid Members Posted July 14, 2021 Who invited Ben Elton? Quote
Chili Posted July 14, 2021 Posted July 14, 2021 1 hour ago, wordsfromlee said: The lyric that has always annoyed me the most for some reason is from Jailbreak by Thin Lizzy. “Tonight there’s gonna be a jailbreak. Somewhere in this town” Probably the jail most likely, Phil. Maybe multiple escapes, or he's actually being interviewed about it. A big half Guyanese Irishman in the 70's. He's getting hauled in. I love Phil Lynott, a superb man. Quote
CavemanLynn Posted July 14, 2021 Posted July 14, 2021 1 minute ago, Chili said: I love Phil Lynott, a superb man. Genuinely one of my heroes. Elevated to the pantheon when supposedly a reporter asked him what it was like to be black and Irish, and he replied, "Like a pint o' Guinness." Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted July 14, 2021 Paid Members Posted July 14, 2021 To give it a bit of further thought, the singer might not know where the jail is. "Tonight there's gonna be a jailbreak, in the jail, somewhere in this town". That's not an improvement. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted July 14, 2021 Members Posted July 14, 2021 I like that even though he's going through the stress of breaking out of jail, dogs chasing him guards etc, his last instruction is still one of warning. "So woman, stay with a friend" Class act Phil. Quote
Paid Members Hannibal Scorch Posted July 14, 2021 Paid Members Posted July 14, 2021 (edited) "Wake me up, when September ends". So, the 1st of October then. Edited July 14, 2021 by Hannibal Scorch Quote
theringmaster Posted July 14, 2021 Posted July 14, 2021 6 hours ago, gmoney said: Song lyrics like that are fine, I don't think you should concern yourself with them. August wouldn't scan. You can't say "nobody would ever say" in this case, because they're not, they're singing it. In a song. I always see people getting het up about that Oasis lyric "Slowly walking down the hall, faster than a cannonball" as if it's some massive mistake and they must dunk on it. Actually, this is my minor annoyance, people picking apart the logic of song lyrics. Surely that's just a lyric trying to explain what it's like to be on drugs? I'm pretty sure Noel has even said this. Quote
cobra_gordo Posted July 14, 2021 Posted July 14, 2021 1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said: "Wake me up, when September ends". So, the 1st of October then. I always thought it was a shit lyric until I found out it's about his dad dying in September and he just wishes the whole month would fuck off. Then it just made me feel for the bloke, especially after it sort of backfired on him now the "IT'S 1ST OCTOBER! BETTER WAKE UP BILLIE JOE ARMSTRONG" memes are a thing. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.