Minor Annoyances (Vol 2)

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

Oasis is probably a bad example there, as Noel himself has come out and said he doesn't know what half his lyrics are about; they just scan and sound good.

But that's my point? I don't think it's genius. I think it's a pop lyric. 

• Moderators
46 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Song lyrics like that are fine, I don't think you should concern yourself with them.  August wouldn't scan. You can't say "nobody would ever say" in this case, because they're not, they're singing it. In a song. 

I always see people getting het up about that Oasis lyric "Slowly walking down the hall, faster than a cannonball" as if it's some massive mistake and they must dunk on it. 

Actually, this is my minor annoyance, people picking apart the logic of song lyrics.

For the most part I agree with this but for some reason it does bug me specifically when people Yoda their lyrics in order to make them rhyme. It's definitely irrational but for some reason it's just not pleasing to my ear. It somehow breaks my immersion.

• Paid Members

I like taking apart Oasis lyrics mainly because I hate them and they're fucking shit. But if you take that approach with everyone you couldn't enjoy bangers like this.

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

And a prisoner is being transferred between then. 

And they're being transported by G4S. Guaranteed jailbreak.

1 hour ago, wordsfromlee said:

The lyric that has always annoyed me the most for some reason is from Jailbreak by Thin Lizzy. 

“Tonight there’s gonna be a jailbreak. Somewhere in this town”

Probably the jail most likely, Phil. 

Maybe multiple escapes, or he's actually being interviewed about it. A big half Guyanese Irishman in the 70's. He's getting hauled in. 

I love Phil Lynott, a superb man. 

6 hours ago, gmoney said:

Song lyrics like that are fine, I don't think you should concern yourself with them.  August wouldn't scan. You can't say "nobody would ever say" in this case, because they're not, they're singing it. In a song. 

I always see people getting het up about that Oasis lyric "Slowly walking down the hall, faster than a cannonball" as if it's some massive mistake and they must dunk on it. 

Actually, this is my minor annoyance, people picking apart the logic of song lyrics.

Surely that's just a lyric trying to explain what it's like to be on drugs? I'm pretty sure Noel has even said this.

1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

"Wake me up, when September ends".

So, the 1st of October then.

I always thought it was a shit lyric until I found out it's about his dad dying in September and he just wishes the whole month would fuck off. Then it just made me feel for the bloke, especially after it sort of backfired on him now the "IT'S 1ST OCTOBER! BETTER WAKE UP BILLIE JOE ARMSTRONG" memes are a thing.