Minor Annoyances (Vol 2)

Just now, Egg Shen said:

a minor annoyance of mine which i got reminded of this morning... people shortening band names to a single word. The annoyance this morning was listening to the S'appening podcast which had Colin Doran from Hundred Reasons on as a guest. The host of the podcast referred to the band as 'Reasons, which really fucking annoyed me. There's thousands of them though and it annoys me every single time. Few examples.

System of a Down - System

Bullet for My Valentine - Bullet

While She Sleeps - Sleeps (that one really grates)

My Chemical Romace - My Chem

and on and on 😡

I suppose it comes down to whether you know what they're referring to. If you're talking about a particular subject, ie Rage Against The Machine, then referring to them as Rage is fine. Same with System. But I get your point. Sleeps is just stupid. As is Reasons, but I'd argue that's because they're not that well known. 

(Will look out for that pod, cheers)

8 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

a minor annoyance of mine which i got reminded of this morning... people shortening band names or to a single word. The annoyance this morning was listening to the S'appening podcast which had Colin Doran from Hundred Reasons on as a guest. The host of the podcast referred to the band as 'Reasons, which really fucking annoyed me. There's thousands of them though and it annoys me every single time. Few examples.

and on and on 😡

Aren’t you a fan of the Manics?

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

When talking about bands I’ve seen with mates, particularly metal/rock bands, I’ve said System and Bullet. Have used Rage and Manics as being mentioned in the above posts.

Never seen My Chem used. Can see why that ones annoying. It’s always MCR. 

Did know someone who used to refer to Guns n Roses as The Guns. Which is actually a shit band from Wales. 

I wonder if it could possibly be about appearing bigger than they are or were? I mean we know which rock band is being referred to when we say Quo, Maiden, Priest BECAUSE they’re huge. 

Part of it is fan culture as well, like a collective thing. Teenage Fanclub for instance are called The Fannies within the fanbase. It reminds me of something  Rich Hall said about stars trying to force being called by one name, like they’re as big as Elvis or something. I dread the day when a politician starts to being referred to by one name. 

Just now, WyattSheepMask said:

Shortening ‘And You Will Know Is By The Trail Of The Dead’ to just ‘Trail Of The Dead’ is fair enough I think

This is a given with modern emo. There is no way I can say The World Is A Beautiful Place And I Am No Longer Afraid To Die every time I mention said band. 

Silly billy name.

• Paid Members

As someone with a stammer/stutter, I shorten everything for the sake of easy (less embarrassing) conversation. It's far more easier for myself to say "TBS" than "Taking Back Sunday", though it still might come out as "T-T-T-T-T-T-T-BS". But as people have already stated, it's all about the context and situation.

• Paid Members

It’s definitely by how popular and bigger the band are. An example being with bands with four words. Bring Me The Horizon get referred to as Bring Me. But you have to say the full name of The Devil Wears Prada. Or add ‘the band’ before their name in case no one has a clue who they are. Which could be a lot of people tbf. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

a minor annoyance of mine which i got reminded of this morning... people shortening band names or to a single word. The annoyance this morning was listening to the S'appening podcast which had Colin Doran from Hundred Reasons on as a guest. The host of the podcast referred to the band as 'Reasons, which really fucking annoyed me. There's thousands of them though and it annoys me every single time. Few examples.

and on and on 😡

I shorten the names of all those bands as well, to Shite.

• Paid Members
48 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

It’s definitely by how popular and bigger the band are. An example being with bands with four words. Bring Me The Horizon get referred to as Bring Me. 

ahhh, Bring Me. Thats another one that gets on my tits.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Aren’t you a fan of the Manics?

Hypocrite Alert!

Yes, i am a fan, and i have been known to call them The Manics from time to time. For some reason, in my small brain that's alright to me. I cant even explain why. 

Outside of that i dont think there another band i call by a shorter name?

The Foos, Biffy. Get to fuck.

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

ahhh, Bring Me. Thats another one that gets on my tits.

Jeez, that reminds me how people do the same for TV shows. Come Dine (which sounds like the ready made TVX spoof), One Born, even JK for The Jeremy Kyle Show!