Minor Annoyances (Vol 2)

• 2 weeks later...

The fact that we're taught to drive on the left, and traverse school corridors on the left, yet as a society we've yet to develop any convention on how to negotiate a two-way footpath.

Not at all helped by joggers who zig and then don't bother to zag.

• Paid Members

Yeah, few things annoy me more in my daily life than someone who doesn't evenĀ attemptĀ to step out of the way as you're forced to step into the road to get around them, or people who insist on walking alongside each other rather than dropping behind to let someone past. It's not difficult!

Stick to the left, the responsibility of overtaking should fall on the pedestrian who's facing traffic, rather than the one who isn't. Exceptions for the elderly, infirm and small children. Bosh.

As ever, Half Man Half Biscuit have got pedestrian etiquette sorted;

Down in the High Street somebody careered out of Boots without due care or attention
I suggest that they learn some pedestrian etiquette
I.e sidle out of the store gingerly
Embrace the margin

Ā 

• Paid Members

I don't get how some people are so fucking gormless tbh.

You'd think that everyone would be more aware of spacial awareness these days, but I popped to Asda at lunchtimeĀ and there were so many people wandering around aimlessly and blocking aisles in every way possible thusĀ forcing people to brush past them.

Also, are we not bothering with the arrows telling people directionĀ which direction they should travel in now?Ā Seems totally pointless if everyone is ignoring them anyway.

Honestly I feel ten times more Covid secure in the pub on a Friday night than wandering around a supermarket, yet some are only too happy to call for their closure.

When I want to grab a link for the webpage I'm viewing, but I'm on my phone and the address bar's only offering a mobile-version URL to copy, so when desktop users click it they'll be shown the page in crappy mobile format (because the redirect never happens in reverse for some reason).

Sites are obviously capable of detecting what kind of device you're using, otherwise they wouldn't forward mobile users to mobile URLs in the first place, so why not employ that technology within a universal page to dictate how the content's displayed instead of using redirects? Plenty of sites seem to manage it just fine.

I can sometimes get around it by clicking a "Share on Twitter" button and copying the proper address from the unsent tweet, but not all sites have these so I've been known to spend ages - with varying levels of detective work required - trying to decode an "/amp/" and "/m/"-riddled URL to find its original form.

I appreciate it's nerdy and most people won't give it a second thought, but it's not just because I'm a fussy nitpick (which I am). Being able to copy and paste the canonical URL makes any article or social media post I'm writing look more professional, and also yields more results if I'm searching for tweets containing the link. Mobile addresses just shit everything up.

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, garynysmon said:

I don't get how some people are so fucking gormless tbh.

You'd think that everyone would be more aware of spacial awareness these days, but I popped to Asda at lunchtimeĀ and there were so many people wandering around aimlessly and blocking aisles in every way possible thusĀ forcing people to brush past them.

Also, are we not bothering with the arrows telling people directionĀ which direction they should travel in now?Ā Seems totally pointless if everyone is ignoring them anyway.

Honestly I feel ten times more Covid secure in the pub on a Friday night than wandering around a supermarket, yet some are only too happy to call for their closure.

All of this.

On the spatial awareness front, a lot of my pet grievances are airport-based, because in the Before Times it's where I would most likely to spend significant amounts of time having nothing to do but get gradually more irritated. People in airports seem almost universally incapable of recognising that wearing a backpack or dragging a suitcase behind them means that they take up more space than usual.

On the more Covid-specific front, there seems to be a perception that once mandatory mask-wearing came in, social distancing was out. Pretty much overnight, masks went on and all the arrows and one-way systems were fucked off.

In terms of being Covid secure in the pub, I'd agree. They're being used as a scapegoat, but they're the only part of my day-to-day life where it feels like the rules are actually being enforced, and that there's someone there ensuring that you follow them.Ā 

5 hours ago, BomberPat said:

n the spatial awareness front, a lot of my pet grievances are airport-based, because in the Before Times it's where I would most likely to spend significant amounts of time having nothing to do but get gradually more irritated. People in airports seem almost universally incapable of recognising that wearing a backpack or dragging a suitcase behind them means that they take up more space than usual.

These times are the few times I actually get anxiety, because, having been a big kid (6 foot by the time I started secondary school), I was always 'in the way' and therefore got into the habit of trying to take up as little space as poss. Walking down a busy high street, I'd look ahead and be planning my endless-runner route through the throng so that anyone walking wouldn't need to change. Kind of like driving, where I got told that forcing another driver to change their speed or direction through your own driving was an error. It annoys the wife, which then annoys me, when we're walking towards a crowd of people heading toward us, and I drop back so we can fit through the gaps. If we're holding hands, she will actually try to pull me back alongside her, into other people's path. Fuck that. Yet if I pull ahead, she complains I walk too fast. Then I slow down and she catches me in heels with the toes of her shoes. Ugh.

It's one of the things that tells me we must be living in a simulation, experiencing our own realities. I've not heard anyone say, "Yeah, I don't look where I'm going. People can get out of my way, so there." That, and the fact I don't know anyone who's airport queue moved the fastest.

• Paid Members

Ā 

23 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

When people position their TV facing the living room window.Ā 

I'm easily distracted when out and about and just have to take a glance if I even catch a glimpse of something shiny.

I love to see what other people are watching on TV while I'm taking the dog out for her evening walk.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, ElCece said:

I bloody hate it when I've settled down for the evening and I'm engrossed in my favourite TV programmes only out of the corner of my eye is someone leering in through my window watching my TV with me.

Net curtains work!