Minor Annoyances (Vol 2)

I think they even have a spoon specifically for the ramen (and miso) soup in Japan.

Speaking of noodles and annoyances tho, when British companies bring out a noodle and plaster it with pictures of samurai or dragons and "Konnichiwa-desu this is our finest authentic Japanese street noodle, chopped by ninjas" or some low-key racist shite on the back.

21 minutes ago, deathrey said:

But dont the Noodles all just fall off then? And surely I would have the same issue with noodle splash? Drinking the liquid kind of makes sense to be fair, it's just not something I have ever thought of doing.

No? They're not massive noodles are they?  I've never understood why anyone would use a fork on a food that is essentially 30% liquid.

• Paid Members

About a year ago, I had to leave a Pot Noodle longer than intended to answer the phone or something, and when I came back after it had been soaking for well over twenty minutes, the noodles were far softer and plumper than I ever realised they could get. I do this all the time now.

Pot Noodle on toast is a treat! The first time me and my lady had Pot Noodle as a couple and she asked how many slices of bread I wanted I knew she was the one.

I’ve taken to not smashing the noodles up and just leaving them soak for 5 minutes then giving them a good stir and leaving them for 5 more. 

On 11/9/2020 at 10:33 AM, Magnum Milano said:

Because this happened to me this morning and I got stuck behind someone, people who use the self-service checkouts in supermarkets and shops, yet end up calling a member of staff over to help them because they don't know what they're doing or have made a mistake and don't know how to correct it.  Ends up taking you twice as long as it should have when the whole premise of self-service is to speed things up.

Similar in a petrol station where someone would pull up at a pump where you can pay with card without going into the shop, then go into the shop for 5-10 minutes doing a mini shop. 

• Paid Members

There's only one big supermarket near me that has self-service checkouts, and I tend to plan my big shops around whether I can be bother dealing with people or not - if I'm buying booze, I'll never use self-service, because I hate waiting around for someone to notice that your "approval needed" light is on. So because I do that, it annoys me when other people don't.

Similarly, anyone taking a trolley through the "baskets only" or "5 items or less" queue at M&S will be first up against the wall come the revolution. 

My nearest shop is a Morrisons at the petrol station opposite my flat, and it's handy for just grabbing a basket of stuff to supplement your big shop, or for essentials. But at the start of lockdown, people started bulk-buying, so they brought in shopping trolleys. Anyone using a shopping trolley in a petrol station mini-mart can fuck entirely off.

In the before times, I used to fly a lot, on account of living on an island. The "self-service checkout" of airports is the security queue. I can arrive at the conveyor and have my jacket off, everything in the tray, and be on my way in a matter of seconds. So there's nothing that annoys me more than people ahead of me in the queue who are somehow surprised that when they reach security they have to take their coat off, or that their liquids have to be in a separate bag. Despite the fact that this has been the case for twenty years, that they've been in a queue watching other people go through the exact same process, with staff shouting instructions, and signage everywhere. And, if this is at Jersey Airport, you can almost definitely guarantee that they've flown before, so it's not like this is all new to them. Then at the other end, they can have someone shouting "pick up your tray and take it over to a separate table for unpacking" directly into their face and they'll just be obliviously picking up every item individually from the tray still on the conveyor, holding up everyone else's shit.

It's just that general sense of someone hearing an instruction, or an announcement, and seemingly deciding "well, obviously that doesn't apply to me" that pisses me off more than anything. It's standing up on a flight before the seatbelt sign goes off (or, in Covid times, being told that you're getting off row by row and not to stand up until the people in front of you have left, and someone six rows back standing up), or quietly sipping your pint while the pub is closing because everyone else has to finish up now, but you can take your sweet fucking time.