Paid Members Carbomb Posted June 11, 2021 Paid Members Posted June 11, 2021 As an extension of that discussion, I find the naming of some of those emo bands annoying because they're incredibly formulaic, clearly thinking they're being dark and poetic. Formula: Negative word + prepositional phrase + Positive word Hence: Bullet For My Valentine Funeral For A Friend Panic At The Disco Death Cab For Cutie I'm sure there's more. I'd sort of include My Chemical Romance in there - not the structure, but the content. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted June 11, 2021 Members Posted June 11, 2021 *dont say it dont say it dont say it dont say----* NONE OF THOSE BANDS ARE EMO!!!!!!!! Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted June 11, 2021 Paid Members Posted June 11, 2021 5 minutes ago, SuperBacon said: *dont say it dont say it dont say it dont say----* NONE OF THOSE BANDS ARE EMO!!!!!!!! Mate, I don't fucking know, I've just seen them categorised that way. Lots of "Behold what dark wordsmiths we be!" lyrics set to often-rather-generic heavy guitar rock. Post-punk, then? Quote
Mr_Danger Posted June 11, 2021 Posted June 11, 2021 Someone should tell my daughter she wasted her emo phase listening to the wrong music. Quote
Keith Houchen Posted June 11, 2021 Posted June 11, 2021 22 minutes ago, SuperBacon said: *dont say it dont say it dont say it dont say----* NONE OF THOSE BANDS ARE EMO!!!!!!!! Ocean Colour Scene Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted June 11, 2021 Members Posted June 11, 2021 19 minutes ago, Carbomb said: Mate, I don't fucking know, I've just seen them categorised that way. Lots of "Behold what dark wordsmiths we be!" lyrics set to often-rather-generic heavy guitar rock. Post-punk, then? No, I'm only joking....ish. Depends on how gatekeepery you want to get, but they're all on the emo spectrum. 7 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said: Someone should tell my daughter she wasted her emo phase listening to the wrong music. Phase? Quote
Paid Members TheBurningRed Posted June 11, 2021 Paid Members Posted June 11, 2021 1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said: even JK for The Jeremy Kyle Show! Jeremy Kyle was just as bad for this himself as he used to call it The Kyle Show often during the show. Even he couldn’t be bothered to say it all. Quote
Paid Members Accident Prone Posted June 11, 2021 Paid Members Posted June 11, 2021 (edited) 50 minutes ago, SuperBacon said: *dont say it dont say it dont say it dont say----* NONE OF THOSE BANDS ARE EMO!!!!!!!! According to IsThisBandEmo.com, Death Cab and FFAF are emo. Sorry, fella. Edited June 11, 2021 by Accident Prone Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted June 11, 2021 Members Posted June 11, 2021 4 minutes ago, Accident Prone said: According to IsThisBandEmo.com, Death Cab and FFAF are emo. Sorry, fella. Don't you start as well. 26 minutes ago, SuperBacon said: Depends on how gatekeepery you want to get, but they're all on the emo spectrum. Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted June 11, 2021 Paid Members Posted June 11, 2021 Anyway, can't deny it's a shit name for a band, but Death Cab for Cutie are named after a Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band song, so I don't think you can accuse them of... whatever it is your accusing them of. Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted June 11, 2021 Paid Members Posted June 11, 2021 39 minutes ago, gmoney said: Anyway, can't deny it's a shit name for a band, but Death Cab for Cutie are named after a Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band song, so I don't think you can accuse them of... whatever it is your accusing them of. Like a man wearing orthopaedic shoes, I stand corrected. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.