Jump to content

Minor Annoyances (Vol 2)


Recommended Posts

Posted

On a similar "shortening things" note, I've not bothered watching much WWE over the last couple of years, but had a look at a Smackdown (or something - the latest episode of one of the weekly shows, whatever it was) a couple of weeks ago. When did Michael Cole start dropping the "out" of "kick out" when someone gets their shoulder up during a pin (which itself is annoying because just lifting a shoulder up isn't really "kicking out")? Whichever wrestler it was, he "kicked at two". Not "kicked out", just "kicked". It doesn't even make sense.

Posted
10 minutes ago, King of Hamptons said:

My Girlfriend... She has to stop and pet every dog she sees.. One today had a go at her.. Even after many attempts of telling her that not every dog wants to be her friend. 

Perfectly acceptable behaviour.

A fella in work will approach any dog he see’s even if the owner warns him. His arms are covered in scars from dog bites.

  • Paid Members
Posted
11 hours ago, CAREBEAR LUVVA said:

On a similar "shortening things" note, I've not bothered watching much WWE over the last couple of years, but had a look at a Smackdown (or something - the latest episode of one of the weekly shows, whatever it was) a couple of weeks ago. When did Michael Cole start dropping the "out" of "kick out" when someone gets their shoulder up during a pin (which itself is annoying because just lifting a shoulder up isn't really "kicking out")? Whichever wrestler it was, he "kicked at two". Not "kicked out", just "kicked". It doesn't even make sense.

I can’t stand how often this shortening happens in food TV or on menus. Even when the context tells me what’s missing, I still hate it. I know “baby gem” can only mean lettuce, and “Swiss” is probably going to mean cheese on the sandwich, not chocolate, but I hate it anyway.

Also, crap American house flipping shows that Mrs watches where they say “master” but can’t be bothered to add “bedroom.” Although that pales in comparison to how my blood boils when they mention the “reno.”

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
Posted

Hope you are well isn't a question. I write hope you are well, but without a question mark.

I hope the person is well but I don't want to know if they are or aren't, unless it directly impacts whatever the message is about.

It may be that they aren't expecting a response to that part and you are wasting your time and confounding them equally.

  • Paid Members
Posted
6 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Hope you are well isn't a question. I write hope you are well, but without a question mark.

I once had feedback to the written exercise part of a promotion interview which said I should have put a question mark at the end of “I hope you are well”. Whilst I won’t pretend this is the sole reason I didn’t get the promotion, the spelling and grammar of the exercise contributed to the overall outcome, so I was fairly annoyed that it played some part considering it was written as a statement rather than a question. 

  • Moderators
Posted

I think I'd still just ignore it and take it as rhetorical. I'm aware that probably half those people would probably then think I was rude but at least those people probably wouldn't ask me that question again.

  • Paid Members
Posted

I only care that you put your query or request at the beginning of the email before the context, rather than at the end, so I don't have to read the email twice. 

  • Members
Posted

My biggest email annoyance used to be when a mass email is sent round congratulating someone on an achievement.

Sending said achievement getter an email privately after is fine obviously. Going over to congratulate them even better.

What is NOT acceptable is being one of those CUNTS that replies all "Wow, well done you :)" when you sit literally feet away from them in the same office. There is only one reason people do this, and that's to try and show to their managers and directors that they're being a 'team player'. It only benefits themself, and there is no congratulating sentiment behind it.

One guy used to do it when his colleague that sat next to him did something worth celebrating! Say well done to them face to face like a normal human being!

Fuck off.

 

Posted
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

My biggest email annoyance used to be when a mass email is sent round congratulating someone on an achievement.

Sending said achievement getter an email privately after is fine obviously. Going over to congratulate them even better.

What is NOT acceptable is being one of those CUNTS that replies all "Wow, well done you :)" when you sit literally feet away from them in the same office. There is only one reason people do this, and that's to try and show to their managers and directors that they're being a 'team player'. It only benefits themself, and there is no congratulating sentiment behind it.

One guy used to do it when his colleague that sat next to him did something worth celebrating! Say well done to them face to face like a normal human being!

Fuck off.

 

But it’s a fine opportunity for shithousing if someone else who went for the job but didn’t get it is in the cc list. 

  • Members
Posted
6 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

But it’s a fine opportunity for shithousing if someone else who went for the job but didn’t get it is in the cc list. 

Dunno, in a small(ish) office, I still prefer the walk over to the desk and enthusiastically congratulate them publicly, in full view of said 'non job getter', especially if they're in earshot as well.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...