Minor Annoyances (Vol 2)

1 hour ago, wordsfromlee said:

In TV shows and movies when they show the screen of a computer someone is using and the mouse cursor moves way too slow and smoothly than it actually does when you use one. It looks so unnatural. 

Bet they don’t turn off the keyboard click on their phones either!

On 7/9/2021 at 9:45 AM, SuperBacon said:

Very #FirstWorldProblems, but I have to stay in all day as I'm waiting for a very important delivery from DHL. The tracking says "by end of the day" and the buzzer to the door system is broke (can talk but can't unlock) meaning I have to go down and let them in. This isn't an issue obviously, but I'm worried the delivery driver will do one before I've got there, as has happened before.

I did pop down at 8am and leave the communal door on the latch, but seeing as there is a dentist's in the same building, some fucker has put it back on.

I just want to have a relaxing poo.

On a related note, I despise the buzzer system and would happily smash it off the wall.

On 7/9/2021 at 10:01 AM, BomberPat said:

I'm in a very similar situation - though with me it's that the buzzer system can't talk but can unlock, but delivery drivers to here don't seem to understand that and just keep buzzing it even after I've pressed the button to let them in, so I usually end up going downstairs to collect anyway. Likewise, I'm tempted to try and wedge the front door open and hope for the best. 

Hi, Mr_Danger! here, professional deliverer. @SuperBaconleave a note explaining the buzzer situation to the DHL person . @BomberPatthey know your buzzer is broke they just can’t be arsed walking up your stairs/in to your den of inequity.

Edited by Mr_Danger

13 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Hi, Mr_Danger! here, professional deliverer here. @SuperBaconleave a note explaining the buzzer situation to the DHL person . @BomberPatthey know your buzzer is broke they just can’t be arsed walking up your stairs/in to your den of inequity.

I have left a note before with a number, cheers for the advice.

In the end, someone had left the door on the latch so he came in and knocked on my actual door. He then laughed at my Spurs shirt, we had a little chat, and he sauntered away happy. 10/10 door interaction.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

In TV shows and movies when they show the screen of a computer someone is using and the mouse cursor moves way too slow and smoothly than it actually does when you use one. It looks so unnatural. 

This is particularly the case in Searching (which is an otherwise superb film), and considering the entire film is played out via computer screens, you get it a LOT.

On 7/11/2021 at 8:09 PM, Chest Rockwell said:

Fireworks when it's light out really is just fantastically stupid.

But how will the dealers let it be known to their clients that the drugs are in? Is that still a thing in these modern days of faxes, pagers and mobile telephones? 

• Paid Members

Shit lyrics obviously would be it’s own thread but I become so annoyed at “I remember when I met you just before September.”

August then, James? You met her in August. The month is called AUGUST. Nobody would ever, ever say “just before September”.

• Paid Members

Song lyrics like that are fine, I don't think you should concern yourself with them.  August wouldn't scan. You can't say "nobody would ever say" in this case, because they're not, they're singing it. In a song. 

I always see people getting het up about that Oasis lyric "Slowly walking down the hall, faster than a cannonball" as if it's some massive mistake and they must dunk on it. 

Actually, this is my minor annoyance, people picking apart the logic of song lyrics.

22 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Song lyrics like that are fine, I don't think you should concern yourself with them.  August wouldn't scan. You can't say "nobody would ever say" in this case, because they're not, they're singing it. In a song. 

I always see people getting het up about that Oasis lyric "Slowly walking down the hall, faster than a cannonball" as if it's some massive mistake and they must dunk on it. 

Actually, this is my minor annoyance, people picking apart the logic of song lyrics.

Oasis is probably a bad example there, as Noel himself has come out and said he doesn't know what half his lyrics are about; they just scan and sound good.

Alexandra Burke's line "drip-dropping way down low" makes me ill, for some reason.