Facebook updates that blow your mind v2

Otto Dem Wanz

• Paid Members

Screenshot-20210413-095403.jpg

You get millions of posts like this in local history groups, I don't know why this one tickled me so much, probably the including of getting a slap in a list of positive (or neutral, making your own way to school?) experiences. Things were just batter in the old days.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, BomberPat said:

it's astonishing that "walking to school" has become a generational badge of honour across multiple generations. You're as likely to see it from idiots in their 30s as idiots in their 60s.

I must be honest, I've said it myself many a time. Not in a "my generation is better than yours" way though. My reasoning is in a world where childhood obesity and climate change are big issues, having kids actually walking to school rather than being driven could help fight both issues.

50 minutes ago, gmoney said:

I took it to be more a "the world now is a haven for brown skinned rape gangs and child murderers, in my day I walked 50 miles to school at the age of 4" sort of thing. 

Amended for my take. 

• Moderators

Kids still do walk to school don't they? Unless there's a load of kids every morning catching a bus outside what evidently used to be a school but is no longer up the road from me to take them to another one?

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

Kids still do walk to school don't they? Unless there's a load of kids every morning catching a bus outside what evidently used to be a school but is no longer up the road from me to take them to another one?

I can only talk for up here. My old house was at the top of a road, which had a primary school at the bottom. At drop off/pick up time, it's like wacky races with all the cars jostling for position, and very few parents walk to get the kids.

Secondary schools are a bit better, but all the new schools they have built have massive car parks that are full at 3.30 pm, so I'm assuming they are picking the kids up too...

11 hours ago, BomberPat said:

it's astonishing that "walking to school" has become a generational badge of honour across multiple generations. You're as likely to see it from idiots in their 30s as idiots in their 60s.

One kid got driven to school once in my secondary school.  Stephen Sculfer never lived that down for 5 years.  Good.

I've got my first kid on the way now, honestly I'd just begun to deal with the idea of being a father and believing I could do a good job.

Now I've read the done thing is to have to take the bugger to school and back until 18 and I'm back to day one ball of nerves!

Edited by simonworden