Facebook updates that blow your mind v2

Otto Dem Wanz

• Paid Members
On 7/4/2020 at 2:43 PM, Chest Rockwell said:

The hospital one is my favourite. So dumb.

I've probably gone into this before, but I fucking hate "backronyms" - the Hospital one is new to me, but "Port Out, Starboard Home", or "Fornication Under Consent Of The King", that sort of bollocks, is just pub bore levels of made up "facts" to impress idiots, and bear absolutely no resemblance to how etymology actually works. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

Jesus Christ, this popped up on my feed. I asked the guy who had reposted it if he thought it was true and he said 'no, I just think she's shady' 

And for any lawyers reading, I dont believe this for a second.

This has been all over my Facebook the past week too. It started off as 'Ellen is under house arrest due to being involved with Epstein' and quickly evolved into 'covid is a cover story so we don't notice shitloads of celebs are under house arrest for being nonces.' 

Makes it easy to know who to block, though.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I've probably gone into this before, but I fucking hate "backronyms" - the Hospital one is new to me, but "Port Out, Starboard Home", or "Fornication Under Consent Of The King", that sort of bollocks, is just pub bore levels of made up "facts" to impress idiots, and bear absolutely no resemblance to how etymology actually works. 

The first time I ever heard the "FUCK" one was on one of those old Channel 5 sex magazine shows like Sexcetera or whatever they were called. It had a ting where it would ask you a question before the ad break and tell you the answer after and the origins of the work Fuck was one. I felt a right prick when I tried to look smart in the pub by using the "fact", and a bloke who was an English professor laughed his bollocks off at the absurdity of it!

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I had someone on Facebook recently trying to convince me that 'Western Oriental Gentleman' was originally a phrase of respect that became an insult when it was shortened. This was apparently why they didn't like 'People of colour' as a phrase, because they thought 'poc' would become a racist term.

When I pointed out that backronyms are almost never true, they accepted it, but still said 'but you see my point about it becoming an insult, though?'.

• Paid Members

On 7/8/2020 at 12:16 PM, Uncle Zeb said:

Etymology, of course, standing for Every Thing Your Mouth Orates Learnt Over Great Years.

I saw someone use "backtymology" to describe these awful things recently, which I thought was wonderful.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...