Facebook updates that blow your mind v2

Otto Dem Wanz

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, JNLister said:

"You won't see this reported in the MSM."

It's a link to a Sky News report.

Yeah. I regularly see this on Facebook.

“Oh, look! Left-wing media are all hush-hush about [insert topic]!”

Quick search finds articles on topic on BBC, Guardian, Independent, etc.

“Yeah, not front page though, is it?”

• Paid Members

there's a self-styled nonce hunter in Jersey who gets nominated for all kinds of local hero awards, runs a "Name & Shame" Facebook group, and gets all kinds of glowing write-ups in the press, with really only lip service paid to the point that she's working outside the law and acting on minimal evidence. To criticise her is seen as tantamount to being a nonce sympathiser, but she's always struck me as a genuinely nasty piece of work.

I saw her in town recently, and she's got a tattoo of Joe Exotic, who definitely isn't at the very least nonce-adjacent. 

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

there's a self-styled nonce hunter in Jersey who gets nominated for all kinds of local hero awards, runs a "Name & Shame" Facebook group, and gets all kinds of glowing write-ups in the press, with really only lip service paid to the point that she's working outside the law and acting on minimal evidence. To criticise her is seen as tantamount to being a nonce sympathiser, but she's always struck me as a genuinely nasty piece of work.

I saw her in town recently, and she's got a tattoo of Joe Exotic, who definitely isn't at the very least nonce-adjacent. 

Nearly everyone I've seen that does this sort of thing seem to have a nasty streak and seem to want an excuse to get violent. I've been watching the 24 Hours in Police Custody series recently, and there is an episode where one of these groups pose as a 13 year old and set up a meet with an old bloke. Now, the nonce is a complete cunt who deserves to go down for a long time, but because they live streamed it and hadn't told the police until he turned up, dozens and dozens of locals recognised the car park and descended on it, and proceeded to kick the shit out of him.

Some might say he more than deserved it, but all it did was put him in hospital meaning the police couldn't interview him, then had to pay to put him p in a hotel for his own safety. I think he eventually got a few years, but it was a long time after the incident, in which he could have met and abused any number of kids. The copper also mentioned they had a number of "nailed on" prosecutions fall through due the nature of these groups. 

There must be a middle ground where these groups can work with the police by passing all the details of the meet to the police to confront and arrest the suspect?

• Paid Members

I gave up any sort of support for them when one (which I think may have been Stinson Hunter) decided to stitch up a guy that wasn't interested.

A regular tactic was to introduce the "victim" as being of legal age, and then have them reveal their supposedly true age later and see if they were still interested. In this incident, their target was sitting in a cafe waiting to meet up when they sent a text message saying something like "By the way, I'm not 19, I'm only 14. Is this a problem?". The guy said no thanks and went to leave, but as Stinson and camera crew were outside the cafe, they followed him while shouting to the world about how they had proof that he was there to meet a girl for sex that he knew was 14.

Absolute cunt move.

“We’re doing this because the police won’t”. Oh right, didn’t realise you had such a working knowledge of ongoing police investigations. It takes a bit more than just pretending to be a 13 year old girl in the internet once. 

It’s like getting Pablo Escobar to sell you an eighth of weed and going “ ha! Got you! We just did what the police have been failing to do for years!”  
The thing that gets me is that shaming in the internet is the only power they have. When they do one of their ‘stings’, there’s nothing to stop the person - who’s realised they’ve been rumbled - going home destroying all their computers and hard drives before the cops turn up. Undoing how much surveillance working they’ve been building up to get the heftiest charge possible on the person when they do arrest them. 

• Paid Members

I'm uncomfortable with those groups too. Worse though are the folk who stream protests to get accused/convicted paedophiles moved from the area. There's been loads of that round here recently, including one where the accused was completely innocent. Because the guy streaming was more concerned with views and shares than whether the guy had actually done anything.

It must be horrible for the Police. They can't force people to leave their homes, especially if they haven't even been charged, or have served their time. They end up just taking the cunt away until everyone fucks off and then bringing them back again. That leads to accusations that they are "protecting the beasts!!"

It's only a matter of time before someone gets seriously hurt and all those groups get banned, which would be a shame, because if they'd just work with the Police rather than against them, they'd be a great thing.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, unfitfinlay said:

It's only a matter of time before someone gets seriously hurt

Wasn't there a run of naming people in a leading newspaper (I forget which) that ended quickly and quietly after someone's house got set on fire because thier name was similar to a name printed and people got confused?

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, Kookoocachu said:

Here on the Island a group of hunters from the mainland "caught" a young woman who had been talking to a 13yr old girl if I recall her age correctly. 

Turns out this young woman had learning disabilities and was just looking for a friend. 

Jesus that's absolutely heartbreaking. 

From my understanding there are some groups that work directly with the police and don't publicize the work that they do. It's the ones that are public facing that name and shame which are the ones using dubious methods and tactics. And because they don't have legal training often the good work that they do do isn't actually usable in court.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

Wasn't there a run of naming people in a leading newspaper (I forget which) that ended quickly and quietly after someone's house got set on fire because thier name was similar to a name printed and people got confused?

Are you thinking of the News of the World campaign that couldn't tell the difference between a paedophile and a pediatrician, and resulted in an innocent man's house being targeted?