Facebook updates that blow your mind v2

• Awards Moderator
4 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

That was the picture as it was posted, but yeah I assumed the other part of it had the woman in blue saying something. Doesn’t excuse Redhead’s holier than thou take on things though.

They've now taken to posting things by The Gottman Institute. A quick google shows them to be a married pair of psychologists who focus on relationship health (mainly for couples, ironic as one of them has been twice divorced), but anything anyone says now gets a Gottman thing attached to it-

“Well, the Gottman Institute says...”, “Well according to the Gottman Institute...”, “That’s one way of looking at it, but the Gottman Institute says that...”

And this morning we’ve all had a dose of “Emotion Coaching” (again, there seems to be another part to this, but that’s how the picture was posted)

rIRBAbA.jpg

I just want to say “will you shut the fuck up”, but I know doing so will cause more things than it will solve, so I’m just going to have to take it on the chin

It seems like you’re really upset. Can you tell me more about it?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Etymology, of course, standing for Every Thing Your Mouth Orates Learnt Over Great Years.

Show me where the capital letters touched you.

Yep. Nothing worse than someone who is so insecure they need likes on the internet from strangers. 

Posted Images

• Paid Members

For shit like that, and the one or two people still on my Facebook feed posting conspiracies and alt-right bollocks, I wish more than anything that Facebook had an "eye roll" options in reactions. Would be so much more devastating than taking the effort to actually reply.

7 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

For shit like that, and the one or two people still on my Facebook feed posting conspiracies and alt-right bollocks, I wish more than anything that Facebook had an "eye roll" options in reactions. Would be so much more devastating than taking the effort to actually reply.

Is replying by unaccompanied gif a bit too passive aggressive?

The Office Reaction GIF

Before I deactivated Facebook (well, strictly speaking, my account - I couldn't find the button to shut down the whole site), one of my biggest bugbears was their decision to forego the much requested "dislike" button in favour of a select range of other reactions, all of which quickly became subject to misuse and misinterpretation.

If you want to lazily express disagreement with something, you're given the unsatisfying choice between ANGRY or LAUGH, both of which can come across more aggressively than the simple verdict you'd rather convey, and provoke unnecessary conflict or ill feeling. Ironically the outcome they probably thought they'd avoid by going this route instead of what users were asking for.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

You could maybe use a GIF to express an eye roll?

It was my nephew's first birthday last week. He's already wrong about everything.

This is from someone that lives a fantasy1940s housewife lifestyle, continually moaning about the lack of traditional values from this era (including her infamous rant about people who wear jeans to the theatre), and won't let her partner move in because it will effect her benefits.

babybooks.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

“Think of a number upto 999, and search that number along with the words ‘new cases’. Google will find an article about that number of new coronavirus cases. Coincidence?🤔

My sister-in-law is a fucking idiot. She’s gone from living in absolute fear of Covid to now thing thinking that it’s all a massive hoax because she watched that Plandemic video the other week

53 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

“Think of a number upto 999, and search that number along with the words ‘new cases’. Google will find an article about that number of new coronavirus cases. Coincidence?🤔

What the fuck are they suggesting?

I’ve no idea what she’s suggesting, and I’m pretty sure she doesn’t really know either, but as @johnnyboy said, I told her “no it’s not a coincidence, that’s how search engines work. They find everything with the number 999 and the words ‘new’ and ‘cases’, that’s why there are thousands of results”

I might as well have been talking to the wall for all the good it did.

• Moderators

As completely useless as that post is, it is surprisingly accurate also. It doesn't have any bullshit about how copying and pasting it will protect you legally, and it is actually something that happens on Facebook. Maybe it's just because the bar is so incredibly low but that is actually not that bad.