2 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

That 90's Show

Topher Grace somehow hasn't aged a day, Laura Prepon is back as a redhead and the new kids aren't half as annoying as I'd thought they'd be.

It's obviously not as good as That 70's Show, but it's perfectly fine to have on in the background for the odd laugh.

I think the key thing for me is that while I always enjoyed the original, it was never one of those "don't you dare fucking touch it!" classics. So it was actually quite fun to revisit in a harmless nostalgic way. Could've lived without it but it didn't ruin anything.

• Paid Members

Yeah it’s perfectly fine. I was worried as That 70s Show is probably my favourite sitcom (barring the last season) and it would end up a complete shit show. Red and Kitty are on fine form and get a laugh out of me every episode so that’s the main thing. I’m glad they didn’t recast Hyde. As terrible as a person that Danny Masterson is, having someone else play that role just wouldn’t work. Gwen is definitely Hydes kid btw. 

41 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

Yeah it’s perfectly fine. I was worried as That 70s Show is probably my favourite sitcom (barring the last season) and it would end up a complete shit show. Red and Kitty are on fine form and get a laugh out of me every episode so that’s the main thing. I’m glad they didn’t recast Hyde. As terrible as a person that Danny Masterson is, having someone else play that role just wouldn’t work. Gwen is definitely Hydes kid btw. 

Umm, how does that work?

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

Umm, how does that work?

Well Hydes character is mixed race for a start. The background of her dad is very similar to the guy who Hyde believed to be his dad at the start of That 70s Show. So it would be believable that he could go the same path. 

On 1/18/2023 at 1:03 AM, deathrey said:

Any one know when season 3 will be out?

They’ve announced sometime in the Spring so between March and June.

I would link to the tweet but it comes attached with a spoiler image for Season 3

Edited by TildeGuy~!

Finished the first season of Manifest. The premise is an airplane hits some bad turbulence and when it lands, 5 years have passed. It’s obviously hokey but so far hasn’t tried to overthink things. Plus Elizabeth Marvel (the only good thing with that name attached) has turned up. 

33 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

So that ending to the first season of The Kingdom, what the fuck mate? It's the most pure Lars Von Trier part of the show so far, which have been really enjoyable and I've loved how the main protagonist is an elderly woman, she's ace.

I think the idea was always that the story would get progressively more bonkers as it went along.

Episode 1 of the first season is a lot them discussing the relative cost/reward of CT scanning an old lady.  Then

Spoiler

a ghost appears

The subsequent episodes of the first season then form

Spoiler

a pretty well contained, fairly tight ghost story which, give or take a giant demon headed baby, mostly escalates the weirdness within those parameters. Yeah supernatural stuff exists but it's demons and ghosts right?

I mostly like how season 2 kind of builds from there in terms scope, almost in a kind of Alien to Aliens way? A small story gets expanded out into much larger lore.  However the wackiness does keep increasing. The whole show kinda feels like it introduces a level of weirdness, waits for you to get comfortable then goes up another gear.

Season 2 is still pretty tightly written, I think original Kingdom kind of hits a lot of what some people wanted Twin Peaks to be in that it's got a fairly complex mythos but it's all been planned out pretty specifically and the lore is mostly (eventually explained). There's a couple of reveals in the second season that really neatly tie some of the loose threads of season 1 together.  But yeah it definitely starts adding in more and more "weird stuff" for better or worse (similarly to TP). That thing that happens at the end of season 1 is good weird though. I think.

I'm holding off my opinion on season 3, only seen 3 episodes so far (initially I was making it last, then I kinda lost interest).  As someone who adored the first two parts and has watched them many times since I first saw it 18 (ffs) years ago it's not quite working for me

Edited by organizedkaos

On 1/18/2023 at 1:03 AM, deathrey said:

I'm a bit late with this one but I've been binge watching Ted Lasso the last couple of days whilst trapped under my napping 3 month old. I've really really enjoyed it, far more than I had expected to, I've only got a handful of episodes left in season 2 and will be sad to see it end. It's such easy viewing, the characters are compelling and it's made me laugh out loud quite a few times which is something I rarely do when watching tv shows.

Any one know when season 3 will be out?

I've sailed through it a bit faster than I expected and I'll have to find something else to watch now.

Ted Lasso caught me by complete surprise. I had avoided it for ages despite the universal acclaim because I thought the premise sounded naff. An American with no knowledge of football taking over a Premier League team? It sounded so 'wacky' and unappealing.

I then watched it on the recommendation of a good friend. After the initial scepticism wore off, I very quickly realised that nearly four hours had passed, I had laughed out loud, I had ugly-cried and I felt like the TV itself had given me a big, warm hug.

1 hour ago, StrongStyle said:

Ted Lasso caught me by complete surprise. I had avoided it for ages despite the universal acclaim because I thought the premise sounded naff. An American with no knowledge of football taking over a Premier League team? It sounded so 'wacky' and unappealing.

I then watched it on the recommendation of a good friend. After the initial scepticism wore off, I very quickly realised that nearly four hours had passed, I had laughed out loud, I had ugly-cried and I felt like the TV itself had given me a big, warm hug.

I honestly felt the same, but really really enjoyed it. My husband hasn't watched it yet, I might rewatch it with him ready for Season 3. I am reading that will be the last season though which is a shame

1 hour ago, organizedkaos said:

I think the idea was always that the story would get progressively more bonkers as it went along.

Episode 1 of the first season is a lot them discussing the relative cost/reward of CT scanning an old lady.  Then

Reveal hidden contents

a ghost appears

The subsequent episodes of the first season then form

Reveal hidden contents

a pretty well contained, fairly tight ghost story which, give or take a giant demon headed baby, mostly escalates the weirdness within those parameters. Yeah supernatural stuff exists but it's demons and ghosts right?

I mostly like how season 2 kind of builds from there in terms scope, almost in a kind of Alien to Aliens way? A small story gets expanded out into much larger lore.  However the wackiness does keep increasing. The whole show kinda feels like it introduces a level of weirdness, waits for you to get comfortable then goes up another gear.

Season 2 is still pretty tightly written, I think original Kingdom kind of hits a lot of what some people wanted Twin Peaks to be in that it's got a fairly complex mythos but it's all been planned out pretty specifically and the lore is mostly (eventually explained). There's a couple of reveals in the second season that really neatly tie some of the loose threads of season 1 together.  But yeah it definitely starts adding in more and more "weird stuff" for better or worse (similarly to TP). That thing that happens at the end of season 1 is good weird though. I think.

I'm holding off my opinion on season 3, only seen 3 episodes so far (initially I was making it last, then I kinda lost interest).  As someone who adored the first two parts and has watched them many times since I first saw it 18 (ffs) years ago it's not quite working for me

The only reason I started the show was seeing there was a new season like The Return, shame to hear it's maybe not so great.

Season 2 sounds like a trip though and I'm going to enjoy it.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Finished the first season of Manifest. The premise is an airplane hits some bad turbulence and when it lands, 5 years have passed. It’s obviously hokey but so far hasn’t tried to overthink things. Plus Elizabeth Marvel (the only good thing with that name attached) has turned up. 

Don't expect it to get much better. I'm only sticking with it out of spite for Lost, so I can tell people it has a better ending (it will!) and because Doctor Saanvi gives me a massive calling. It does have a few "OH!" moments where you think shit's going to get real but it quickly just settles back down into the same groove, right up through to the most recent batch of episodes.

Got six months of free Apple TV through Sky and tried The Mosquito Coast. I really liked the first season, a tense, well paced, varied seven episodes. Midway through the second now and I'm getting fed up. Too slow.