• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

The same with The Office US too for some reason.

That’s the correct decision. On one of my many rewatches off The Office, I decided to start with the first season again for a change and that didn’t last two episodes. Season two is the real show. 

• Paid Members

I tried to watch the mirthless first series of The US Office a couple of times before I was clued in to start with the second. I tried that and still thought it was shite, so not one for me.

Parks and Recreation has a pretty crap first series, before they retooled it a bit and it got good. Then they made bigger changes for series 3 and it got arguably better. 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Factotum said:

MR INBETWEEN Woah, this is one I've slept in but saw a lot of people online saying its brilliant now that it is on Disney+. My word I wasn't disappointed. Highly recommend. This has rocketed up to one of my favourite ever shows

Best final 30 seconds in any TV show I've seen. I was literally bouncing up and down at how much I loved that final moment. 

Also, that fight scene in the woods is one of the craziest things I've seen in a TV show.

• Paid Members

I tried the first couple of episodes of Sunny a few years ago but didn't like it but it seems like it follows the pattern of many US sitcoms. Will probably give it a run after I've finished Broad City (which actually has a good first series once it gets the drug bore episodes out of the way).

I didn't mind the first series of The Office but clearly it improves hugely in series 2.

• Paid Members

We've been watching through the US Office for the first time. It's taking forever due to the sheer number of episodes and the fact that we don't binge watch stuff. It's a fun and easy watch but the quality of the show takes a massive fucking nosedive when Catherine Tate shows up. We're just onto the final series now and I'm praying the quality picks up because it's becoming a bit of a chore to get through.

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

We've been watching through the US Office for the first time. It's taking forever due to the sheer number of episodes and the fact that we don't binge watch stuff. It's a fun and easy watch but the quality of the show takes a massive fucking nosedive when Catherine Tate shows up. We're just onto the final series now and I'm praying the quality picks up because it's becoming a bit of a chore to get through.

I will once again go on record as saying that she is nowhere near as bad as (slight spoiler as I don't know where you are up to and might not have seen them yet)

Spoiler

Robert California 

Who is, in my opinion, one of the worst sitcom characters of all time. I hate that cunt.

@Devon MalcolmI really loved Broad City. It helps that both lead actresses are really likeable and Hannibal Buress is a gas.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

@Devon MalcolmI really loved Broad City. It helps that both lead actresses are really likeable and Hannibal Buress is a gas.

Love the way he's used in this series - not too much or too little, just about right. Shame about the Hillary Clinton episode but nothing's perfect, I guess.

Never been a Lars Von Trier fan, even in my most edgelord days but I'm really enjoying The Kingdom quite a bit. You can tell that he was inspired by Twin Peaks, there's that Lynchian horror with the mundane all over it and in a weird way I think Darkplace may be partially inspired by it?

I've just watched The Rehearsal over the last two nights and I'm still trying to process it.  (On the Sky Comedy on-demand if anyone's interested)

One of those that's hard to explain without spoiling, but the initial basic premise is that it's an HBO "docu-comedy" where Canadian comedian Nathan Fielder helps members of the public to get past an important issue that they're having by endlessly rehearsing it with actors.  But he goes way beyond that.

In the first episode, it's a seemingly trivial issue for a guy who lied to his pub quiz team about having a Masters degree years ago and now feels that he's lived the lie so long that it's become a big deal.  To get around this, they build an exact replica of the bar (and I mean every last detail) and fill it with actors who act out his conversations over and over with various different outcomes.

Then episode two happens and it's a totally different programme from that point onwards.

Whether that premise sounds interesting or not, I'd recommend watching at least the first two episodes (probably up to the third for the real spiral to start).  Not so much that it gets "better" (definitely don't skip the first ep), but because it turns out that the series isn't at all what it's initially set up to be.

It's surreal, it's awkward, and it's very dark in places.  There's a part in the finale that is particularly difficult to watch and I would guess even more so if you're a parent.

Without giving any more away, it becomes a show about how "real" reality TV really is, and has some inception moments along with borrowing heavily from Derren Brown TV specials and Borat-style hidden camera shows.  (Borat's not the best example, but it's definitely in that vein of showing some of the worse sides of America through the lense of a camera).

It's not especially funny (for a comedy), and it definitely won't be for everyone but it's one of the more unique pieces of television I've seen in some time. 

If you like Nathan For You, you'll like The Rehearsal.

If you haven't seen the former, you might struggle with the latter (not that they are in any way linked, it just helps if you know the humour style)

Personally, I love both and everything he does. The Rehearsal got a LOT of shit when it first aired, which raised some interesting questions about ethics, exploitation etc, but then you see what some of the people involved say/have said and you quickly lose sympathy. 

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, s279 said:

I'm going onto Nathan For You next, looks like a lot of it's on Amazon Prime and heard a lot of good things about it since reading around The Refearsal.

It might have changed now, but when they re-uploaded Nathan For You recently, they didn’t have the finale from every season. Rent or buy only. 

10 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Finding Frances, season 4 finale, is probably my favourite episode of television ever. It's a masterpiece.

“You think I look like a stalkerrrr?”