20 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

You've said Dark a lot there! "I think it was called The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down"

I like the look of this, its not a sequel is it? As I never finished Dark.

I like how West didn't try and imitate Charles (apart from that weird mouth thing he does) but made it his own performance. 

Speaking of sexy, Olivia Williams as Camilla? Phwwwooooaaaaaar.

Not a sequel or tied in at all as far as I know but I wouldn’t be surprised if those confusing genius bastards did tie it in. Finish Dark!

Edited by Mr_Danger

• Paid Members

We binged all of Wednesday yesterday, again after the chat in here. Hooked straight away and the whole series is brilliant. Openly went 'YES!' for basically any Addams Family references. 

Also I had absolutely no idea that Christina Ricci, who plays Ms Thornhill, is only the original bloody Wednesday from the old Addams Family films. Not sure if it's the glasses/makeup covering up her usually recognisable boat but she looks nothing like she did as a young'un. She's brilliant as are the vast majority of the cast. 

Jenna Ortega is sensational as the teenage Wednesday though. Absolutely nails it and puts such a great spin on the character. 

Edited by Fatty Facesitter
Edit - Cast. Not cat!

On 11/27/2022 at 9:32 AM, Keith Houchen said:

He wasn’t. In the comics he was never handsome and was like how Luis Guzman is portraying him. It’s something that Tim Burton was keen to return to. He’s only been debonair on screen. 

Aside from that, casting a dashing Gomez is only going to draw comparisons with the outstanding Raul Julia, which would mean whoever played him was on a hiding to nothing.

Guzman is good as a different interpretation of Gomez I think.

• Paid Members
On 11/27/2022 at 2:04 PM, Mr_Danger said:

Not a sequel or tied in at all as far as I know but I wouldn’t be surprised if those confusing genius bastards did tie it in. Finish Dark!

I enjoyed Dark until the point about mid way through season 2 when I realised that literally every twist in it was "this person is actually a younger/older version of that other character".

Edited by LaGoosh

Wednesday is just fantastic. 

Watched the lot with my poorly 9yo over the last two days, and we both absolutely loved it.

Jenna Ortega is just utterly brilliant, and adds so much to the character. The high school dance was a fantastic bit of telly (I read she choreographed it herself) and she should get every award.

The surrounding cast (Emma Myers as Enid especially) are great and the tone of the show is spot on.

I wasn't sure about the Nevermore setting initially, but it really grew on me.

So many wonderful little touches, but my personal favourite was 

Spoiler

Wednesday opening up the coffin after digging up the grave, and inhaling the smell euphorically. Amazing.

Best show of the year.

I loved the dance scene too @SuperBaconI want to dance like Wednesday! Jenna Ortega really has made the character her own. I still haven't finished the series as we have to work it around the kids, it is the highlight of my evenings. I really hope they make another series, I think it's been my favourite series this year.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, RalphyV2 said:

Not sure if Family Guy is on TV here anymore but I streamed some newer Family Guy episodes the other day and I wish I didn't

Not funny at all anymore and it's a shame, I used to really enjoy it

When? Back in 2003? Family Guy has been unwatchable for years. All his animated stuff is pretty awful. Gave up on him ages ago.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

16 minutes ago, RalphyV2 said:

Not sure if Family Guy is on TV here anymore but I streamed some newer Family Guy episodes the other day and I wish I didn't

Not funny at all anymore and it's a shame, I used to really enjoy it

It’s on ITV2 every night for about 5hrs, with about an hour or two of American Dad (which is also pretty awful these days after a good first few years) and The Cleveland Show (which ended early a decade ago and was shit from the start)

31 minutes ago, deathrey said:

I loved the dance scene too @SuperBaconI want to dance like Wednesday! Jenna Ortega really has made the character her own. I still haven't finished the series as we have to work it around the kids, it is the highlight of my evenings. I really hope they make another series, I think it's been my favourite series this year.

Dont think I'd be spoiling anything when I say the reception to it 100% all but guarantees a second series. 

• Paid Members

saw the first episode of Wednesday while my girlfriend watched it, don't get it at all. It's typical Tim Burton style-over-substance getting all the visuals right but missing the actual point of the story, which in fairness is all he's done for twenty years, but you'd think he of all people would get the Addams Family right. Maybe it gets better after the first episode.

It just felt charmless, really, and I don't get what he's going for with the family dynamic - I can't think of anything less Addams Family than Wednesday disliking or resenting Morticia, when the whole point is that they're a more-than-usually close knit family in spite of their weirdness, or Wednesday being shocked at the suggestion that Gomez might be a murderer. I'm also not really a fan of the Nevermore thing - what's special about the Addamses if they exist in a world with werewolves, vampires and magic?

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

saw the first episode of Wednesday while my girlfriend watched it, don't get it at all. It's typical Tim Burton style-over-substance getting all the visuals right but missing the actual point of the story, which in fairness is all he's done for twenty years, but you'd think he of all people would get the Addams Family right. Maybe it gets better after the first episode.

It just felt charmless, really, and I don't get what he's going for with the family dynamic - I can't think of anything less Addams Family than Wednesday disliking or resenting Morticia, when the whole point is that they're a more-than-usually close knit family in spite of their weirdness, or Wednesday being shocked at the suggestion that Gomez might be a murderer. I'm also not really a fan of the Nevermore thing - what's special about the Addamses if they exist in a world with werewolves, vampires and magic?

With Wednesday in this instance - and I could be totally wrong here so tell me where to go if so - she's obviously come of age, and like many teenagers she's become perhaps a bit moodier, a bit stroppier and more fiercely independent in her own mind. Perhaps there's also a bit of initial resentment because she feels close knit with the family and she doesn't really want to be shipped off to some school that she doesn't see the point in attending. 

I get what you mean in terms of the school environment. I think she's such a unique enigma that she's still very different from those sub-groups - she's so weird/off-beat that even the vampires and wolves think she's too different, which helps drive the wider narrative. 

It's got The Thing flipping people off. Watch more episode and learn to love it, Postman Pat.