• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

She ain’t gonna shag you, mate. 

Of course not. I am married and no-one likes affairs. But Monkee is one of the only truly wholesome people here and doesn't need to be talked to like she is a shithead like Cena's Mums Clunge. #bekind (to non shit posters)

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

Just now, Hannibal Scorch said:

Of course not. I am married and no-one likes affairs. But Monkee is one of the only truly wholesome people here and doesn't need to be talked to like she is a shithead like Cena's Mums Clunge. #bekind

What the fuck is going on? She asked a question and I answered. I didn’t know at the time her phone was substandard and couldn’t use the forum properly. That wasn’t speaking to her like a shithead

Stick your be kind up your ringpiece, now that’s speaking to someone like a shithead, because that’s what you are, a shithead. 

200.gif

...anyway...

I watched The Love Box In Your Living Room which is Harry Enfield and Paul Whitehouse looking back on 100 years of the Beeb in a sort of Adam Curtis/Horrible Histories sort of way.

Never laugh out loud hilarious, but really quite fun and sweet, and I still have all the time for Harry and Paul. 

Then as I couldn't be arsed to get up and grab the remote as the cat was asleep, it autoplayed some classic sitcoms.

Absolutely Fabulous was a bit poo wasn't it? Although it did remind me just how much I fancied Saffy, and then two episodes of One Foot In The Grave.

I don't think I ever knew that he was a security guard that was forced into an early retirement. I don't think that job suits Victor Meldrew to be honest, and it threw me when it was revealed. I don't really know what I expected him to be, but definitely not that.

But it reminded me how brilliant he was, so fuck it, I'm gonna watch the lot.

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

200.gif

...anyway...

I watched The Love Box In Your Living Room which is Harry Enfield and Paul Whitehouse looking back on 100 years of the Beeb in a sort of Adam Curtis/Horrible Histories sort of way.

Never laugh out loud hilarious, but really quite fun and sweet, and I still have all the time for Harry and Paul. 

Then as I couldn't be arsed to get up and grab the remote as the cat was asleep, it autoplayed some classic sitcoms.

Absolutely Fabulous was a bit poo wasn't it? Although it did remind me just how much I fancied Saffy, and then two episodes of One Foot In The Grave.

I don't think I ever knew that he was a security guard that was forced into an early retirement. I don't think that job suits Victor Meldrew to be honest, and it threw me when it was revealed. I don't really know what I expected him to be, but definitely not that.

But it reminded me how brilliant he was, so fuck it, I'm gonna watch the lot.

I remember loving both shows as a kid, but I imagine Ab Fab doesn’t hold up that well overall. Though my wife rewatched it a couple of years ago and enjoyed doing so (but she has both great and appalling tastes in TV). One Foot In The Grave I’d have thought would age better, though it blew my mind he was so young when he made it, I thought Victor Meldrew must have been in his 70’s. 

7 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

One Foot In The Grave I’d have thought would age better, though it blew my mind he was so young when he made it, I thought Victor Meldrew must have been in his 70’s. 

Agreed. I saw some the other month round the in laws in between GB News, but I’m sure it wasn’t a filling between rancid bread that made it enjoyable. It was the traffic jam episode. 

Do you follow the Meldrew point or something like that on twitter? They announce when a celebrity passes the age in days that Richard Wilson was when it first aired. 

• Paid Members

One Foot in the Grave is one of those shows that's misremembered by a lot of people, People think of it as a  middling show about an grumpy old man, but way more layered that that. It's wonderfully surreal, brilliantly written and most of the time Victor Meldrew's pretty much justified in his frustrations. Great supporting cast too, Mrs Warboys is one of the great sitcom characters. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, gmoney said:

Mrs Warboys is one of the great sitcom characters.

I was also going to spread some Mrs Warboys love. 

The front door of my house growing up had come from the set of One Foot In The Grave. My grandad used to take stuff away from the sets of tv shows and adverts (He had a giant Matey bubble bath in his back garden that I used as a goal post) and decided to donate this door to my parents. 

My mum acted like this was some kind of main character door when it was only on screen for a couple of seconds. She even taped the episode as she was so proud of it. Fuck knows what episode it’s from. I’m sure it’s a blink and you’ll miss it tbf. 

• Paid Members

I love one foot in the Grave. There's a really dark undercurrent to a lot of the episodes which I find really adds to the show around the comedy without it feeling out of place. 

The last episode is fantastic, the set up through the show with the payoff montage at the end around a story of a murdered old man, Margarets grief and anger is fantastic. 

The episode payoff to him making her believe he's thrown out her mother's earrings to try and protect her from finding out a young woman has stolen them and kidnapped a baby or the post it notes from next door and the miscarriage is a great part of why he stays such an endearing character, deep down he clearly really cares about the other characters and generally means well, and that's always strong enough to balance him becoming a just a moan (even if he is normally right anyway). 

• Paid Members

Had a week off and am one episode away from completing a full Peep Show marathon. Initially, season eight was my least favourite, but I actually enjoyed it a lot more on second viewing. The whole thing is marvellous though and the earlier seasons still hold up very well. I want to be like Super Hans when I grow up. 

EDIT - Has anyone watched 'Back' which stars Mitchell and Webb? Only seen a couple of trailers so far. Not expecting anything on the level of Peep Show but wondered if it might be worth a pop. 

Edited by Fatty Facesitter

39 minutes ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

EDIT - Has anyone watched 'Back' which stars Mitchell and Webb? Only seen a couple of trailers so far. Not expecting anything on the level of Peep Show but wondered if it might be worth a pop. 

Yeah, it's nothing like Peep Show, in fact it's not very funny at all, but its still well watchable.

Speaking of which, I've just finished Blockbuster on Netflix (oh, the irony) and its decent to have on in the background.

Melissa Fumero is in it, and I really like Randall Parks (although he REALLY sounds like someone and I can't work it out and it's annoying me) but it's quite bland to be honest.

There's a few cute movie based gags, and I like how it doesn't massively rely on nostalgia too much, but I probably wouldn't bother with a second series, but then I hate watched all 3 series of After Life so I'll watch any old shit.

Oh and JB Smoove is in it. So that automatically notches it up.