• Paid Members

That’s great. Thanks. I don’t think I’ve ever laughed as much or as hard as two moments in the Season 4 opener 

Spoiler

The montage which went from sweet moments to the orgy and then during the preview for the new season and the line “we are the only computer shop that offers a fully asexual service” which had me in tears.

Have been watching Ghosts on the iPlayer, and think its fantastic. A rare show, where theres not one bad character. Every character works perfectly, and is played to perfection. Nearly finished Season 4, and hope it continues, as the standard hasnt dropped at all.

Quick question about an episode in Season 4:

Spoiler

Mary's 'moving on' just seemed very unusual, and came out of nowhere. There was no real storyline behind it. It almost felt like it was an extremely rushed thing, and felt out of place and didnt really make any sense. Was there any news/rumours around this, as if you didnt know any better, it feels almost as if she was sacked on short notice.

Half Bad: The Bastard Son and The Devil Himself was a fun show. Its fairly standard, by the numbers, in terms of a story, but theres enough here to make it worthwhile.

The Imposter was a really good watch. The whole thing seems so crazy when he talks about how he managed to set this up and make the phone calls, you question how the hell its a true story. Im still undecided on whether it was the family's grief which blinded them into believing he was the real son, or whether they did indeed have a sinister reason to do so. I sort of agree with the daughters point that the case was already cold by the time this happened, so they could have just said, ater the phonecall, that they want proof hes the real deal. When it would come back negative, the case would still be cold and there would be no spotlight on them at all. To go through all this seems a bit silly, when the heat was off them by this point, three years later.

Edited by Dai

• Awards Moderator
7 hours ago, Dai said:

Have been watching Ghosts on the iPlayer, and think its fantastic. A rare show, where theres not one bad character. Every character works perfectly, and is played to perfection. Nearly finished Season 4, and hope it continues, as the standard hasnt dropped at all.

Quick question about an episode in Season 4:

Hide contents

Mary's 'moving on' just seemed very unusual, and came out of nowhere. There was no real storyline behind it. It almost felt like it was an extremely rushed thing, and felt out of place and didnt really make any sense. Was there any news/rumours around this, as if you didnt know any better, it feels almost as if she was sacked on short notice.

Spoiler

As I understand it, Katy Wix had decided she wanted to leave, so they used it to explore the idea that sometimes we can lose someone completely suddenly and unexpectedly - sometimes you don’t get prep time for grief, it can happen anytime. So some of that feeling you got was probably intended, though it’s a massive shame she’s no longer in it as she’s great.

• Paid Members

Started on two things this week.

The Devil's Hour on Amazon Prime, which I'm enjoying a lot more than I thought I would. Only two episodes in, as I find it a bit too intense to binge, but some great performances and intriguing mysteries at its centre - some kind of alternate reality gimmick mixed with psychic powers, plus creepy child, with added police procedural. Half expecting them to fuck the landing, but I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy - I've been on a bit of a Cold War espionage kick lately, so figured I should finally watch this series. It's brilliant, and just the sort of TV you couldn't possibly make any more. The opening of episode one is just five men, one at a time, walking silently into an ugly meeting room, with no dialogue or music, for almost ten minutes, before the opening credits. And it continues in much that way - just an endless succession of ugly middle aged men walking into brown and grey rooms to talk about other off-screen middle aged men, and it's amazing telly for it.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Anybody watched The Rig yet? Is it actually good or 'so shit it's good'?

I’ve only watched the first episode and it’s enjoyable shite. It’s got most of the cast from Line of Duty and you’d think it would have the same writers with the use of the word ‘mate’. 

The actor who plays Baz is absolutely terrible though. 

• Awards Moderator
13 minutes ago, JNLister said:

Retire John. You'll never top that.

2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy - I've been on a bit of a Cold War espionage kick lately, so figured I should finally watch this series. It's brilliant, and just the sort of TV you couldn't possibly make any more. The opening of episode one is just five men, one at a time, walking silently into an ugly meeting room, with no dialogue or music, for almost ten minutes, before the opening credits. And it continues in much that way - just an endless succession of ugly middle aged men walking into brown and grey rooms to talk about other off-screen middle aged men, and it's amazing telly for it.

Just been watching this myself having never caught it before. Just a couple of episodes to go. You're not wrong they'd never make this again! Just dusty old white men talking at each other. It is good but it is hard going too - it demands an awful lot of attention and some jumps in time that aren't called out blatantly to the viewer. However I do find myself thinking about it long after watching, not entirely sure if I've understood it all. Some of it feels very stagey as well for it and some of the acting is definitely believing they are on stage. In the most uncontroversial statement of all time, Alec Guinness is just superb. 

And I see the Gary Oldman version is on iplayer too at the moment so I'm going to rewatch that soon for a compare.