• Paid Members

Finished The Devil's Hour last night. 

It's a testament to how much I enjoyed it that I'll excuse the final episode being 90% exposition. Every episode has a kind of interrogation room scene that all falls into place and builds to the finale - though, actually, the series would function exactly the same without them, and it just feels like a way to get Peter Capaldi in every episode. 

It was good. Everyone's performances meant that when the material gets a little weaker, you don't mind, and it's still carried. 

Some spoiler-y thoughts:

Spoiler

I'm really hoping that the last episode isn't the end of Isaac, and I expect it's not. There's not really any reason for Lucy to trust or believe anything Gideon says without the connection to Isaac - if we're now in the timeline where she's a police officer and he was never born, she's not going to be so much at the end of her tether that she's prepared to listen to him, not going to be obsessed with tracking him down, and definitely not going to be as prepared to give any credence to his explanation.

Mike was a horrendous character. He was obviously really unlikable by the end, but there's just a real pivot from well-meaning absentee father to abusive, irredeemable dickhead that basically comes out of nowhere. It feels like the moment that they start teasing that Lucy could get with Ravi, they realised they need to make Mike a villain so you don't feel bad for him not getting his relationship back. I kind of hope we never see that character again now, because he can either go full panto villain, or get an undeserved redemption arc, and I don't think either would be justified.

What I kind of like about the last episode is that there isn't really anything to figure out - there's no rational or scientific explanation for the different timelines, or whatever you'd call them, and the audience have already basically figured out that's how it works, we just don't know how Gideon's exploiting them. We still don't really, just that he's aware of them. The drama was from around whether Lucy and Ravi would believe him, and what that would mean. 

So, yeah. It was good, well acted and well made, with the more mundane character work making a lot of the "timey-wimey" stuff work better than it otherwise might have done. It has every sign of disappearing up its own arse in subsequent series, and I hope it doesn't.

16 hours ago, Merzbow said:

The only reason I started the show was seeing there was a new season like The Return, shame to hear it's maybe not so great.

Season 2 sounds like a trip though and I'm going to enjoy it.

Ah the first two hold up great and most of us had always treated 2 as an ending given no-one expected a return...

And not to say S3 is bad or anything, it doesn't quite have the weird spark of the original thing.  It may be that that's part of it's reason to be - in the same way that The Return is tied to the aging of the cast and creators I think Exodus is too - except with Exodus it's more about Lars Von Trier not quite being the young provocateur any more.

It also working against the fact that most of the memorable character's actors are dead... We'll see, I feel like it's the sort of thing that's hard to gauge until the end. And yeah, the first two parts are still excellent regardless of how part three pans out

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, organizedkaos said:

-- Double Curses. Why does "Reply" not visibly post your reply --

It does if you're on the latest page of the thread, but if you're on a previous page, it doesn't. That's what happens for me anyway. 

10 minutes ago, TheHighlightReel said:

We’ve started Mad Men and whilst I’m quite happy with slow burners, we’re about 10 episodes in and just nothing has happened. Is this one of those you have to give some time to before it clicks? Or if we’re not feeling it yet is it not going to happen?

I love it but it is a slow burner. If you aren’t feeling it though don’t waste your time. If you stick at it you have Lane Price in season three and I fucking love him. Jared Harris is phenomenal. 

• Paid Members

Mad Men is a real slow burner but I remember enjoying it at the time. Unfortunately the final season was split into two and when I was watching it on Netflix, they never added the second half of the final season so I never saw how it ended.
When I went recently to rewatch it all, I wondered how I managed it first time round because as you said, nothing happens.

7 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Having finished it a month or so again, I have been re watching MR INBETWEEN on Disney+ and I seriously think its a masterpiece. Don't sleep on it. It's an all timer

Hadn't seen it before but after reading the recommendations on here I got through it in about a week. What a fucking show.

Don’t ask why, but I’m trying to think of a TV show that was on (I think) Channel 4 or 5.

It was a technology type of game show, narrated by a female, and had a giant green robot looking thing moving about on the spot, in between the articles that were.

Been trying to find what it’s called, clips etc, but can’t for the life of me find anything.