11 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Just to say that if there are any Taskmaster fans on here then the first four episodes of the Australian version are up on YouTube. If you like the UK version you will enjoy it, and if you haven't seen the New Zealand version the second series of that is one of the best series of Taskmaster from anywhere. It can also be found on YouTube. 

I tried to watch season 1 of the NZ one and it was abysmal, and all of them were really unfunny. Could only last 1 and a half episodes. It lacked everything that makes the UK one great. Is season 2 really such a massive jump in quality? 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Uncle Zeb said:

I watched it and, judging by the feedback I've been able to find, I was apparently the only one who found the last 3-4 seconds in poor taste.

Hide contents

Cutting from an emotional miscarriage scene played straight, to a painting of a witch who stole babies, complete with creepy sound effect, as if to imply that (ooooh, maaaaaybeeee) the old tales of her ghost were true!!!, just seemed to undermine the serious and compassionate tone of that last scene which some viewers would have been empathising with closer than others.

Still having it as a subtext throughout the episode might've been alright (I guess?), but that callback at the end was a little too on the nose, and took away from the weight of the moment for me. But then no one else online appears to have mentioned it so what do I know?

Otherwise it was fine. So long as they don't even contemplate giving Ardel O'Hanlon a spin-off.

I didn't even make the connection, but I totally understand why it'd be in poor taste. Definitely an inappropriate tonal shift, unless they're setting up some kind of arc. I've probably watched too much Doctor Who. 

• Paid Members
47 minutes ago, Dai said:

I tried to watch season 1 of the NZ one and it was abysmal, and all of them were really unfunny. Could only last 1 and a half episodes. It lacked everything that makes the UK one great. Is season 2 really such a massive jump in quality? 

Definitely. As @Onyx2has already mentioned David Correos is a special treat. There a several tasks that would make my top 10 favourite tasks such as Make The Most Inappropriate Wedding Cake, Record a Diss Track About The Other Team, and The Most Impressive Stolen Thing. As is always the case with comedy if it's not your thing, then it's not your thing but it's definitely worth a go. 

• Paid Members

There's a revival of Party Down. Can't believe it's been 12 years.

The first ep is out (no idea how to watch it in a non illicit fashion). It's really funny although some of Jane Lynch's schtick could have stayed in 2009

Ken Marino makes me laugh before he's even said anything, he's so underrated. 

Edited by Bellenda Carlisle

FLEISHMAN IS IN TROUBLE I'm not sure what to make of it. I'm not sure if I enjoyed it. I know that Claire Danes continues to annoy me in everything she's in. I felt Eisenberg was slightly miscast until the last few episodes when he really works. Lizzy Caplan and Adam Brody are fun to see in anything though. I'm still trying to work out what I made of it all.

On 1/23/2023 at 7:11 PM, CleetusVanDamme said:

Don't expect it to get much better. I'm only sticking with it out of spite for Lost, so I can tell people it has a better ending (it will!) and because Doctor Saanvi gives me a massive calling. It does have a few "OH!" moments where you think shit's going to get real but it quickly just settles back down into the same groove, right up through to the most recent batch of episodes.

Yep. Manifest was enjoyable hokey nonsense with some really good moments. Looking forward to forgetting 

Started watching Sharp Objects. The directing style of Jean-Marc Vallée can be a bit jarring and he really amped it up here. Obviously Amy Adams and Patricia Clarkson are brilliant but the casting of Sophia Lillis as the young version of Amy Adams is sublime. She was excellent in I Am Not OK With This (gutted that got cancelled, it really felt it was going somewhere) and is excellent here as well. 

• Paid Members

Finished The Rig, which was shit but enjoyable shit that especially picked up when Mark Addy popped in. I think I was mostly watching for Emily Hampshire though.

Also finished Man Like Mobeen, which did not end at all as expected but was fantastic.

Going to watch The Responder next, I think.

Loved The Bear. Not a dud character out of all of them. Can someone  explain:

Spoiler

Why was the brother getting money and just putting it all into the tins? Unless I missed an important point, I'm not sure what the point of this would be? 

34 minutes ago, Dai said:

Loved The Bear. Not a dud character out of all of them. Can someone  explain:

Hide contents

Why was the brother getting money and just putting it all into the tins? Unless I missed an important point, I'm not sure what the point of this would be? 

I'm not quite sure that all was all 

Spoiler

Money gained legitimately. Remember when matey got caught selling coke and he said something like "it wasn't even my idea" ? Think it might have something to do with that but I could be wrong.

1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

I'm not quite sure that all was all 

Hide contents

Money gained legitimately. Remember when matey got caught selling coke and he said something like "it wasn't even my idea" ? Think it might have something to do with that but I could be wrong.

Spoiler

Thanks for the reply. However, earlier on in this episode they showed the brothers book, and the dialogue specifically said that the amounts of cash he was writing down was the exact amount that he had borrowed. Im fairly surely that was what was said. The coke thing makes sense, but I don't think I saw anything in what was shown or said during the finale that explained it as such. 

5 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Finished The Rig, which was shit but enjoyable shit that especially picked up when Mark Addy popped in. I think I was mostly watching for Emily Hampshire though.

Just about made it through this. Only for the decent cast. Thought I was done but the arseholes renewed it.