Started watching Search Party. A fully grown adult Alia Shawkat becomes embroiled in the search for a missing acquaintance she hasn’t seen from college. Really enjoying it, has the potential to be overly quirky like Dirk Gently but hasn’t gone that way yet and all the characters could be really annoying caricatures but keeps them entertaining and somewhat relatable, a bit like all the characters in Dave. My favourite is the massively wet yet adorable boyfriend who is just a super nice guy.

Cancel culture update:

Tonight on Channel 4 the founder of "anti-woke" GBeebies was hosting his own self-titled show while on BBC1 Stephen Fry was chatting amiably with the world's most famously outspoken transphobe.

When will this oppressive censorship end?

15 hours ago, Uncle Zeb said:

Cancel culture update:

Tonight on Channel 4 the founder of "anti-woke" GBeebies was hosting his own self-titled show while on BBC1 Stephen Fry was chatting amiably with the world's most famously outspoken transphobe.

When will this oppressive censorship end?

I must have missed something because the only thing on BBC1 in my area was news and football.

16 minutes ago, deathrey said:

I must have missed something because the only thing on BBC1 in my area was news and football.

spacer.png

Either your local listings were different, or you nodded off during the football and woke up during the news. Fair play.

• Paid Members

started watching Red Rose.

It's interesting, but I'm honestly not sure if I like it or not - teenagers download a mystery app that does spooky things, and gradually starts to take control of their lives and demand they do weird and sinister things. Some of it is a bit daft, with some leaps of logic that I don't really follow, and there was a flashback scene that had me rolling my eyes as to what the eventual resolution might end up being. A lot of the characters are annoying, but I think that's because they're teenagers rather than because they're badly written, and teenagers are annoying.

I think there's the germ of a good horror idea in making the dangers of social media into something more literal, but about halfway through it feels about to lose its way, and it's all going to come down to whether or not they stick the landing. 

It did make me think in terms of hauntology, and how the way a lot of filmmakers and artists use the visual language of 1970s and 80s public information films and TV now, wondering what the next generation will take from the media and tech of today - this sort of leans in that direction at times with using the visual language of things like location-tracking and dating apps, as well as social media more broadly, for horror, but it's all too current to feel genuinely uncanny; there's definitely something there to mine, though. 

The most unrealistic thing in it is teenagers in 2022 having ringtones and notification sounds switched on.

35 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

The most unrealistic thing in it is teenagers in 2022 having ringtones and notification sounds switched on.

It's just following the tradition of horror movie victims deserving what happens to them.

Only Connect Final. 

Spoiler

YES!!! Stick that right up your shitpipe, crustaceans!! Except Dennis, he carried the other two pricks

How biased was it though? In the music question they gave an answer that would’ve been accepted in the first rounds but had it been a semi final, they’d have had to give a more detailed answer as their answer wasn’t right. 

They gave a wrong sequence answer with “Green” then the other team said jokingly “we were going to say that” and before they could say another word, Bae Vicky C cut them off and said they too were wrong  

And then on the wall, they gave an answer as “Song titles” but it was actually “Album Titles”  Paul Hardcastle had a hit with 19 so I could see how it would’ve been given in an early round   I really felt there was bias to help them win

And seeing Captain Cunt at the end looking crestfallen and gutted was beautiful  Dennis, ditch those fuckers, you’re better than them  

• Paid Members

Just finished the most recent series of On Cinema and watched the Oscer special. @Butch2000, I don't see how you can remain a Gregghead after his recent antics. He's a fraud and no movie buff for me. Tim needs to distance himself from this man as soon as possible.

29 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Crustaceans get battered everywhere they go, Crustaceans get battered everywhere they gooooooooo, everywhere they gooooooo

Spoiler

Only Connect Champions, You’ll never sing that. 

10 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Just finished the most recent series of On Cinema and watched the Oscer special. @Butch2000, I don't see how you can remain a Gregghead after his recent antics. He's a fraud and no movie buff for me. Tim needs to distance himself from this man as soon as possible.

I stopped subscribing to the Hei Network a year ago. If you can send me in the right direction?

Wheel of Time was unwatchable. LOTR started to come together by the end of the first series. I was considering giving Shadow and Bone a go but the blurb described it as a cross between Game of Thrones and shitty CW Network shows. Instant interest killer.