On 2/21/2023 at 12:05 PM, SuperBacon said:

Just started The Bear which kicking off with New Noise by Refused instantly upped it a mark or two.

I find it really claustrophobic, and it makes me constantly go for a fag, but yeah so far so good.

This was brilliant. I absolutely loved it, and the soundtrack was spot on.

Speaking of brilliant, FX shows on Disney + I watched the entirety of Fleishman Is In Trouble yesterday and thought it was superb.

Simply put, Jesse Eisenberg and Claire Danes are a very middle class New York couple who get a divorce. She pisses off and leaves him with the kids. But that's being very reductive to the actual story as its more layered than that for sure.

Eisenberg is someone who I've not had time for since I watched Batman vs Superman (yes I know its my fault) as his performance in that is one of the worst I've ever seen.

He's great here. Danes is great too (and only does her 'Carrie cry face' a few times) and Adam Brody is also good (but he does play a character called Seth, which did throw me).

However, this is Lizzy Caplan's show. She is phenomenal. Without spoilers, she careers the show towards a more existential bias. What if we're not happy with a seemingly perfect life? What if we miss the life we used to live, and are resentful of the people that have changed that? Our kids, spouses etc. How do we handle that?

The final episode, and the final scenes with her in it, really resonated with me and will make me think for a long, long time.

Also helps that she is, and always has been, incredibly fit. 

Anyway, loved it. Check it out if that sort of thing sounds like it floats your boat.

• Paid Members

Watched the Death In Paradise spin-off. Beyond Paradise with Kris Marshall. It's filmes in Looe, Cornwall, and I've got a mate who lives there that I've visited more than a few times. I spent most of the episode marking out about all the places I knew. You can even see his gaffe in some of the aerial shots of the whole town. I wonder whether his business will turn up at some point. It's not a bad show. The score has a little motif which is the hook from the Death In Paradise theme. It has the same feel, but the denouement is done in a very different style. The lady that plays Lynn Partridge is in it. 

• Paid Members

Just to say that if there are any Taskmaster fans on here then the first four episodes of the Australian version are up on YouTube. If you like the UK version you will enjoy it, and if you haven't seen the New Zealand version the second series of that is one of the best series of Taskmaster from anywhere. It can also be found on YouTube. 

• Awards Moderator
6 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Just to say that if there are any Taskmaster fans on here then the first four episodes of the Australian version are up on YouTube. If you like the UK version you will enjoy it, and if you haven't seen the New Zealand version the second series of that is one of the best series of Taskmaster from anywhere. It can also be found on YouTube. 

New Zealand Taskmaster season 2 is perfection. Easily found on YouTube. David Correos is something else. 

BBC play a loop reel of all the shite shows they have and it plays early mornings whilst I’m in the gym. Every time I see the trailer for the Death in Paradise spin off set in the UK I just think Kris Marshall must be the biggest chump in the game. Literally getting paid to live on an exotic island for a few months a year and he traded it in for turnips and infinite overcast skies.

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

David Correos is something else

He certainly is! 

They are all a bit special though. For example I only found out from the Taskmaster podcast this week that Urzila Carlson broke her shoulder in 3 places doing a task that they didn't show and her doing that wasn't the reason they didn't show it. 

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

BBC play a loop reel of all the shite shows they have and it plays early mornings whilst I’m in the gym. Every time I see the trailer for the Death in Paradise spin off set in the UK I just think Kris Marshall must be the biggest chump in the game. Literally getting paid to live on an exotic island for a few months a year and he traded it in for turnips and infinite overcast skies.

When I'm at my mum and dad's I can be assured I will have to watch one or all of the following; Death In Paradise, New Tricks, Midsummer Murders, Doc Martin, Foyle's War or DCI Banks. BBC and ITV3 have all they need, 

12 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Watched the Death In Paradise spin-off. Beyond Paradise with Kris Marshall. It's filmes in Looe, Cornwall, and I've got a mate who lives there that I've visited more than a few times. I spent most of the episode marking out about all the places I knew. You can even see his gaffe in some of the aerial shots of the whole town. I wonder whether his business will turn up at some point. It's not a bad show. The score has a little motif which is the hook from the Death In Paradise theme. It has the same feel, but the denouement is done in a very different style. The lady that plays Lynn Partridge is in it. 

I watched it and, judging by the feedback I've been able to find, I was apparently the only one who found the last 3-4 seconds in poor taste.

Spoiler

Cutting from an emotional miscarriage scene played straight, to a painting of a witch who stole babies, complete with creepy sound effect, as if to imply that (ooooh, maaaaaybeeee) the old tales of her ghost were true!!!, just seemed to undermine the serious and compassionate tone of that last scene which some viewers would have been empathising with closer than others.

Still having it as a subtext throughout the episode might've been alright (I guess?), but that callback at the end was a little too on the nose, and took away from the weight of the moment for me. But then no one else online appears to have mentioned it so what do I know?

Otherwise it was fine. So long as they don't even contemplate giving Ardel O'Hanlon a spin-off.

Edited by Uncle Zeb

1 hour ago, FelatioLips said:

My Nana has ALIBI on a loop from morning til night.

My girlfriends folks used to be the same but now it’s GB News. I lost my tv remote recently and for the few days I waited for Sky to send a replacement, I downloaded an app which works as a remote control. Can’t wait to use it at theirs to put Al Jazeera on.