• Paid Members

How did LOTR come together? It started off shit when it completely rewrote the reasoning for the Elves leaving Valinor, doubled down on that by having the dull as dishwater Darwinian Harfoots who leave behind the weakest and write it all down in a book and ended with Tar Miriel going "I'm blind" like it's Byker Grove on horseback.

I am a Lord Of The Rings anorak, it still annoys me that the Rammas Echor was the wrong colour in the film's, but I do appreciate you can't do a shot for shot retelling of the Second Age, and you have to modernise some of the characters because strong (Or Any) female characters are not Tolkien's strong point but to think you can outwrite the man who more or less created the genre is hubris that is doomed to failure. 

Sorry, got a bit ranty there. 

• Awards Moderator

Bad Sisters (Apple Telly) is just so bloody good. Only 3 episodes in but we’re absolutely hooked. Anything with Sharon Horgan in it is always going to be good, but all of the female leads are delivering exquisitely.

The antagonist is also putting an incredible shift in to help cement the storyline, but the supporting lads doing the insurance claim are hitting it out of the park. Genuine moments of hilarity, anger, worry and nerves throughout and we can’t wait to finish it off at the weekend.

Can’t recommend this enough.

• Paid Members

I'm at the stage in The Office where Jim and Pam just stayed at Dwight's beetroot farm hotel. A brilliant episode at a stage where almost all of them are.

On Hill Street Blues, Howard has just overcome his cancer scare and Belker's gone undercover at a massage parlour. What a brilliant show this was, so far ahead of its time, and tons of fun seeing what future stars popped in for guest spots.

Watched the first episode of The Responder. Quite impressed that Martin Freeman managed not to fluff the accent as much as I expected. Thought this was cracking stuff and I'm looking forward to the rest of it.

Also started Mortimer and Whitehouse and I obviously don't need to state how good it is to anyone on here. Two very silly men having a nice time in each other's company. The best ideas are the simplest ones.

• Paid Members

S3 is pretty good. The combination of tasks that involve building a best friend, shooting an apple off their heads, and then burying the body for Paul to find are amazing. 

Taskmaster Australia is very good. It is going out now in Aus, and the eps get loaded up to YouTube here 

https://youtube.com/@TaskmasterAU

• Paid Members

Started watching Traitors last night, the one with Winkleman on it. It's such an interesting show. I wonder how different the show would be if the viewers at home weren't aware of who the traitors were as well and had to try and figure it out. I guess they'd have to edit the show to leave some clues in there. 

Claudia Winkleman is great as the host as well. She looks like she's having a great time. 

9 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Started watching Traitors last night, the one with Winkleman on it. It's such an interesting show. I wonder how different the show would be if the viewers at home weren't aware of who the traitors were as well and had to try and figure it out. I guess they'd have to edit the show to leave some clues in there. 

Claudia Winkleman is great as the host as well. She looks like she's having a great time. 

Loads of discussion in the reality TV thread, but would be spoilers for you! Consensus on here was its better knowing who the traitors are!  Remember to watch the US one as well, it’s fantastic!

@Merzbow Your constant championing of Yellowjackets has paid off!

Started it this afternoon and am already on Episode 7. It's brilliant, and has such a fantastic cast.

Melanie Lynskey is possibly my favourite actress working today. She is just such a joy to watch, so that always helps. 

Great recommendation. 

2 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Melanie Lynskey is possibly my favourite actress working today. She is just such a joy to watch, so that always helps. 

It helps that her character is a bit psycho and pure filth, too...

But yeah, both casts are just spot on.

Edited by Merzbow

I started From on NowTV. A show starring Michael from Lost about a bunch of people trapped in a mysterious inescapable town with some mysterious monsters that come out at night. I think Michael is about to try and sail away from the mysterious inescapable town. I might just rewatch Lost.