The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

• Paid Members

Just a quick one on the epilepsy inducing camera cuts. 

I thought it was just a WWE thing, but my youngest daughter has Youtube on all day today while I've been working in the same room. The shit she watches on there is exactly the same. She's had something called ZamZam family(or something similar), and it's unwatchable in my opinion. There is really jarring cuts constantly, and not just to swap angles. They will cut after each sentence but keep the same camera angles. You will just see them judder slightly where they have not lined them back up right. It game me a fucking headache!

It's made me wonder though, is this what the current generation of young fans want and enjoy, and is it just us old farts that are complaining?

2 hours ago, Cod Eye said:

I thought it was just a WWE thing, but my youngest daughter has Youtube on all day today while I've been working in the same room. The shit she watches on there is exactly the same. She's had something called ZamZam family(or something similar), and it's unwatchable in my opinion. There is really jarring cuts constantly, and not just to swap angles. They will cut after each sentence but keep the same camera angles. You will just see them judder slightly where they have not lined them back up right. It game me a fucking headache!

It's made me wonder though, is this what the current generation of young fans want and enjoy, and is it just us old farts that are complaining?

TBH, it’s a bit OT but it’s the thing I despise about this era of Youtubers and influencers. The concept of decent considered editing is gone, instead just jump cut after jump cut after jump cut. It’s horrid. Not surprised sloppy editing in mainstream is becoming a thing.

2 hours ago, Cod Eye said:

All YouTube videos seem to do that.

I assume it's so they don't have to re-shoot, they just cut out all their "errrr" "ummmm" etc.

Obviously, that kind of shit wouldn't fly on a proper TV channel, but as much as these goons all like to pretend they're professional broadcasters, they are just amateurs who have lucked into making money out of a hobby.

2 hours ago, The Dart said:

All YouTube videos seem to do that.

I assume it's so they don't have to re-shoot, they just cut out all their "errrr" "ummmm" etc.

Obviously, that kind of shit wouldn't fly on a proper TV channel, but as much as these goons all like to pretend they're professional broadcasters, they are just amateurs who have lucked into making money out of a hobby.

I think it's just implanting personality on themselves through the edits. Fast cuts, close ups, callbacks, screen filters etc are all the window dressing to vamp up the fact that you're basically just sharing your thoughts on fucking Animal Crossing. 

As someone whose job is now running a YouTube channel (for a gamedev studio) a lot of the editing format comes from holding attention with a minimal setup. A lot of the time we're working with a single camera, and need to hold attention on a single person talking for upwards of 8 minutes (formerly 10 minutes, the threshold for midroll ads just changed). That means utilising jump cuts, flashbacks, inserts, and zooms to make something that is inherently flat feel dynamic and keep a generally younger audience engaged.

WWE emulating that style, if that's what they're trying to do, is misunderstanding the reasoning for doing it. They have something that's visually appealing, that inherently holds your attention. Camera cuts there should be used to heighten emotion with close-ups on faces, or to switch to angles that make a move feel more impactful (something I loved about Lucha Underground's edits)

I wonder if the WWE are worried that their current roster doesn't look particularly epic in static shots. There's a photo in another thread of Hogan, Savage, Undertaker and Savage and its difficult to imagine such a dramatic image from the current roster.

On the other hand, there's no doubt that the roster moves far more impressively than at any other time. Its possible they think the quick cuts add to that sense of movement.

Its crap either way obvs.