WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

I’m not much of a fan of FPS games but I really did enjoy Borderlands 2.

As much as I love borderlands I wouldn't say they fit the "They need to be similarly slow paced, similarly easy (auto-aim)" brief. 

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

As much as I love borderlands I wouldn't say they fit the "They need to be similarly slow paced, similarly easy (auto-aim)" brief. 

Yeah, I really love the aesthetic of the Borderlands games, and loved the Telltale Games 'Tales From The Borderlines', but I've watched gameplay videos from the main series and they don't look right for me. Too chaotic!

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

@FelatioLips @CleetusVanDamme  Thanks for the Timesplitters recommendation, funnily enough I'd been browsing the Xbox store only yesterday and spotted those games in the sale! I think I'll pick those up at those prices!

Timesplitters 2 is the best one of them. 

Borderlands can be fun. Has some RPG elements as well, but it's a lot of fun when it gets going. I hear good things about Doom 64 as well if you're still feeling old school. 

• Awards Moderator
12 hours ago, Silky Kisser said:

@Arch Stanton if you've never played it, give Left 4 Dead 2 a go. I'm not one for FPS either. Never got on with COD or anything like that, but Left 4 Dead I've always found to be easy to get into. 

Not quite fitting the "non horror" brief though. 

Timeplitters is the best shout. If you have access to a Switch then Splatoon maybe. And the Portal games as mentioned. 

• Paid Members

I enjoyed Two Point Campus, but only played it for a couple of days while it was free on Steam, I don't think there was enough to it to keep me coming back to it. It felt like a lot more busywork than Two Point Hospital, but conversely like I could just leave it playing in the background and nothing much would happen, whereas if you take your eyes off Two Point Hospital for a couple of minutes everything goes to shit. 

In terms of RTS games, and strategy games in general, I'm kind of mentally stuck in the late '90s and early '00s - in the last three years I've played through all of Warcraft 1 & 2, Starcraft and Dungeon Keeper 1 & 2, and sunk a lot of hours into Age of Empires 2. The only newer strategy games I played other than the Two Point games were War For The Overworld, which is basically a new Dungeon Keeper (and very good), and Northgard, which I really enjoyed, and has some interesting gameplay dynamics I hadn't come across before - the map is broken up into sections, and there's a maximum number of buildings you can build in each section, so that impacts on how you approach every level. 

I have Frostpunk yet to play, and I've been eyeing up the new version of Pharaoh - I never played the original, but it looks right up my street.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

The only newer strategy games I played other than the Two Point games were War For The Overworld, which is basically a new Dungeon Keeper (and very good), and Northgard, which I really enjoyed, and has some interesting gameplay dynamics I hadn't come across before - the map is broken up into sections, and there's a maximum number of buildings you can build in each section, so that impacts on how you approach every level. 

I have Frostpunk yet to play, and I've been eyeing up the new version of Pharaoh - I never played the original, but it looks right up my street.

Cheers for the tip with those two, they look fun. 

Pharaoh was great, very underrated game and I'm looking forward to the remake. Another very enjoyable point and click theme park/business sim style was Beach Life, which I went to great lengths recently to try and play from disk on a modern machine, but couldn't manage it. Might give it another try, but I'd love it to turn up on GOG or something. 

On 2/23/2023 at 9:28 PM, FelatioLips said:

I went into Atomic Heart really expecting to enjoy it from the trailers but once you’re in there, boy it can be a slog. 
It’s like the game is trying really hard to be several things and barely succeeds at any of them. It’s Prey but not as scary with worse crafting, it’s Wolfenstein but the combat is rough and the protagonist is a nobody, it’s Bioshock but the atmosphere is blander and the upgrade system is all over the place.

It throws every idea it has at you and barely explains them. So far there has been about 6 ways to lockpick doors, there’s crafting but so many different materials and it uses them for ammo too so it’s either use the guns you have or have no ammo and melee until you can make new ones. It gives you an energy gun early that requires no ammo but the tradeoff is it can’t kill anything so why bother. 

The area I’m in now, without spoiling too much, is outside and there are cameras and robots everywhere but the stealth mechanic is so poor that it was actually easier to me to run in a straight line through everything to the objective.

There are huge load times the game tries to disguise behind elevators or travel cutscenes and I’m on Series X. I was in a lift out of a lab for about 60 seconds of silence as the game loaded the outside.

The game’s been living on borrowed time since I started it and it opened with what felt like half an hour of walking slowly as the game explained itself to me, but several hours in now and it’s getting worse if anything. Will likely just move on to something else if this next area is no better.

I pre installed Atomic Heart through Game Pass.

The first time I tried to play it, it needed a 60+ GB update.

A couple of days later I went to play it again and it needed another 15+ GB update.

I just opened it again...12GB update required.

In between updates, I did manage a quick shot and the constant lock picking enraged me. I cant understand how stuff like that gets through QA. Did nobody bring up that maybe the lock picking was a bit excessive?

There were also so many times where my character felt like he was walking knee-deep in treacle for some reason.

I wont be persevering with this one.

On 2/27/2023 at 10:41 AM, BomberPat said:

The only newer strategy games I played other than the Two Point games were War For The Overworld, which is basically a new Dungeon Keeper (and very good)

You managed to sell me on this game in under 15 words. 

I saw this comment yesterday morning, bought the game after work, played it for most of the night and loved every second of it. It's exactly what I'd hoped it would be. 

This little PC game, usually cheap but currently free, seems like the kind of thing some of you will like:

Use the left and right arrow keys to skid your perpetually speeding car, collecting all the petrol cans while avoiding the whirring blades that gradually encroach upon your space.

2 hours ago, Uncle Zeb said:

This little PC game, usually cheap but currently free, seems like the kind of thing some of you will like...

...Use the left and right arrow keys to skid

Here was me thinking someone had finally put Shitting Thread Simulator on Kickstarter. 

The PowerWash Simulator Final Fantasy VII DLC is out today. My game hasn't updated yet (keeping me hanging like Ann from Tunnock's), and I've no interest in Final Fantasy whatsoever, but I'm very much looking forward to having more stuff to clean. Apparently they've even added a new type of dirt!

Edited by CAREBEAR LUVVA

8 minutes ago, CAREBEAR LUVVA said:

The PowerWash Simulator Final Fantasy VII DLC is out today. My game hasn't updated yet (keeping me hanging like Ann from Tunnock's), and I've no interest in Final Fantasy whatsoever, but I'm very much looking forward to having more stuff to clean. Apparently they've even added a new type of dirt!

Magic! Thanks for this!!