WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

On 2/1/2023 at 8:09 AM, RedRooster said:

In terms of free games, Sonic Triple Trouble 16-bit is definitely worth your time. It's one of the best 2D Sonic games I've ever played, and the qualty is ridiculously high, given that it's a fan game.

I've started playing this, and it's good but one thing puzzles me.

It's set immediately after the events of Sonic 3 & Knuckles, with the Floating Island raising up out of the sea. In that game, Knuckles is double-crossed by Robotnik, realises he's been duped, and helps Sonic go after him.

But now, Knuckles is suddenly back to attacking Sonic and being a general thorn in the thorny one's side. Is that explained later in the game?

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Uncle Zeb said:

I've started playing this, and it's good but one thing puzzles me.

It's set immediately after the events of Sonic 3 & Knuckles, with the Floating Island raising up out of the sea. In that game, Knuckles is double-crossed by Robotnik, realises he's been duped, and helps Sonic go after him.

But now, Knuckles is suddenly back to attacking Sonic and being a general thorn in the thorny one's side. Is that explained later in the game?

Yes.

Spoiler

It’s Metal Sonic in disguise.

Edited by FelatioLips

Anyone catch the Nintendo Direct last night?

You can now access Game Boy and Game Boy Advance games through your online subscription. Only a few titles on there for now but a good excuse to play Mario Land 2 which I think is the single most underrated Mario game. Will I play Metroid Fusion again as soon as that comes out on there? All signs point to yes.

They also did one of those "and its available right now!" things for the long rumoured re-master of Metroid Prime. Bit steep at £35 for a 2002 game but then again its Nintendo and it is a fantastic game. I bought it right away as I always support any and all Metroid titles. Played the tutorial this morning and it is wonderful playing it with proper twin stick controls. For a 2002 game, the visual upgrade is pretty stunning. Looks as good as many modern Switch games.

Personally it was the tease for a new Layton game that got my interest, also they’ve really dug into the GameCube back catalogue for Baten Kaitos remasters, I enjoyed both at the time so I’ll no doubt pick these up.

17 minutes ago, Ironic Indie Lad said:

You can now access Game Boy and Game Boy Advance games through your online subscription.

GBA games are only on the higher tier. But even for us basics, it's nice to see the real Tetris back on a current handheld.

• Paid Members

It was pretty much everything I wanted in a direct. Pikmin, Metroid, Zelda with bits of Mario Kart, Layton and Gameboy thrown in. That DecaPolice games looks a blast and I’ve heard good things about Ghost Trick.

Watched a vid on Metroid Prime this morning that said the Wii Pointer controls are also an option and the game never drops below 60FPS in Docked or Handheld regardless of how busy it gets. Will be playing it tonight for sure!

Edited by FelatioLips

I've just gone back and look at a list of what was covered and there is actually more things that interest me then I first thought.

Castlevania x Dead Cells - Cant resist this. I'm sold on the music alone. I will admit that for a brief second I thought it might be either a new 2D game or some kind of remaster and I got unbelievably excited. Please please please please start making actual new good Castlevania games please.

Sea of Stars - Feel like this has been knocking around forever now. Top tier of pixel art style graphics if you ask me. The graphics and animation remind me of Owlboy which I really loved. Apparently this is a prequel to The Messenger. I've got my eye on this for sure and I'm hopeful that its amazing. There's a hell of a lot of SNES and PS1 inspired RPG's out there but I personally have yet to play one thats more worthwhile than just re-playing Chrono Trigger, FFVI etc. Would be so good to get a genuinely amazing game of this type.

DecaPolice - Was it just me or was this really pretty good looking for a switch game? I know nothing about this whatseoever but when I checked it seems to be Ni No Kuni developers behind it.

I am not all in on the Tears of the Kingdom hype yet. Not quite sure why as Breath of the Wild is clearly among the top games of the last 10 years at the very least. I think maybe its just difficult to get too wild over Zelda games due to the fear of delays. I will be shocked if this isnt superb though. Thinking this might be a swan song for the switch in terms of big first party titles? It's somehow closing in on 6 years.

Really interested to see what they do next. The concept itself clearly has legs as systems are still selling in a big way. They have also barely scratched the surface in terms of the retro games available on their online service. I cant see any way they go back to either dedicated handhelds or dedicated home consoles. I keep thinking they should just bring out a more powerful version and have games scale depending on what hardware you have (much like Xbox One > One X > Series S > Series X) if there is a way for them to do that. Keep compatibility with joy cons, docks etc. If at all possible except handled and branded 1000x better than the Wii to Wii U transition. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Uncle Zeb said:

GBA games are only on the higher tier. But even for us basics, it's nice to see the real Tetris back on a current handheld.

And that is exactly what I've spent the last hour playing now. It's GB version or nothing for me when it comes to Tetris, so this is a nice treat. 

2 hours ago, Ironic Indie Lad said:

I am not all in on the Tears of the Kingdom hype yet. Not quite sure why as Breath of the Wild is clearly among the top games of the last 10 years at the very least. I think maybe its just difficult to get too wild over Zelda games due to the fear of delays. I will be shocked if this isnt superb though. Thinking this might be a swan song for the switch in terms of big first party titles? It's somehow closing in on 6 years.

Yeah same here. BOTW is incredible but I don't know what to make of this new game so far, struggling to understand the setting. Hyrule, but in the sky? With some bits on land? I dunno.

When it comes to 2nd Zelda releases on the same console I'm still burned from Skyward Sword, which was one of the most disappointing games I've played. Gameplay was an improvement on Twilight Princess but the game was far too short and lacked the depth of Twilight. How the fuck that got a 10 from IGN I'll never know. 

• Paid Members

The supposedly inevitable, shoe-in Metroid Prime Trilogy assumed to definitely be coming soon after the announcement of 4 was one the main reasons I got a Switch. In typical Nintendo fashion, it's late, overpriced and a third of the product I wanted, but it's nice to see it all the same! Will get it as soon as I can trade-in for a physical copy (ShopTo have the UK release as down for March 3rd).

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Uncle Zeb said:

Being able to see the next 4 blocks, pop one into storage and that thing where it cycles through every block in a random sequence of 7 at a time has spoiled Tetris. I forgot how different the original is. I've been topping out because I've made the mistake of setting up for long bars, and then not getting any until its too late. I'll adapt, though. 

I also started playing Kuru Kuru Kururin on the GBA selection. Both collections are a little bare bones at the moment, but have some great games. I'm hoping we get something like Final Fight Zero for the GBA selection somewhere down the line. Game Boy Donkey Kong would be a great choice as well, especially if it gave you the option to emulate it as though you were using the Super Game Boy and got the colour pallette for it. 

My mum's started playing the original Professor Layton as the remaster is available free on Google Play Pass along with a couple of others. It's not a bad thing for a fiver a month. There are a decent à out of games and actual productivity apps on there without the ads, and some of them have all the in-app purchases for free as well, like it used to be for some games through the Amazon App store. 

Had some bother with the Tomb Raider expansion pack for Power Wash Simulator but it seems sorted now. Couldn’t play it at all yesterday. It was ghastly. 

I need to get my fix in tonight because Hogwarts Legacy is out tomorrow so I won’t be seeing the Xbox for for the foreseeable!

• Paid Members

Can confirm the Metroid Prime Remaster is ace. Controls wonderfully and is every bit as immersive as I remember it being. Haven’t played it since I bought it for £8 from CHiPS back in what must have been 2005.

Edited by FelatioLips