WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Merzbow said:

I was watching someone play the latest MDickie wrestling game and the career mode has the most batshit free roam mechanic added to it, I think I might have to pick it up on Switch when it's next on sale.

Regarding the S Vs X, if you have older Xbox and 360 discs lying around that you may want to continue playing then that's another point for the X as the S has no optical drive and out misses a few of the enhancements, too.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_backward-compatible_games_for_Xbox_One_and_Series_X/S

I've been contemplating picking up a second hand Xbox One X and using it for that, plus it can run some good emulators.

It's such a wacky game, but if you enjoyed the N64 WWE games then you'll enjoy it. It's surprisingly deep. 

• Paid Members

Also with the S you can also just get a seagate external drive much cheaper than having to shell out on the official extra memory thing, right? It'll presumably make the console work harder (especially the fan), and take up extra space on your shelf, but other than that it's got to be a much cheaper option. 

7 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Also with the S you can also just get a seagate external drive much cheaper than having to shell out on the official extra memory thing, right? It'll presumably make the console work harder (especially the fan), and take up extra space on your shelf, but other than that it's got to be a much cheaper option. 

Modern games just won't run on it, but you can fill it with last gen and earlier titles

• Paid Members

When you say last gen titles,  as in Xbone titles? If so then I'm fine with that then, and the native hard drive can be used for X/S games. This might swing the S for me if so, because as others have said, the price difference between S and X is insane. Not fussed about 4K and don't want the disc drive. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

Remember to take in to consideration that you can stream a lot of games on Gamepass now too. The few I’ve tried have been surprisingly decent. Although I’m not sure how much hard drive space you even need to play Peggle Nights anyway.

That's actually very true, I have started doing that on my tablet recently. Plugged in my Xbox controller via USB and have played quite a bit of Fallout 76, which runs really well. In fact the loading screen times seemed to be quicker. The only thing is that you can't pause a game for a bit and do something else, as it disconnects your session- but it's a bit of a small price to pay.

3 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

Remember to take in to consideration that you can stream a lot of games on Gamepass now too. The few I’ve tried have been surprisingly decent. Although I’m not sure how much hard drive space you even need to play Peggle Nights anyway.

I typically stream Gamepass on the Steam Deck, and download games to my Series S. While occasionally there's a bit of graphical blur, the fact games like Forza and...erm...Cluster Truck (they're the two most recent games I've played!!) work as well as they do while streamed is pretty remarkable. 

I purchased extra storage for the Series S, and I've yet to feel like I'm experiencing something "lesser" for not owning a Series X. I've also played it far more than I have the PS5. Its a brilliant little console. 

41 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

I saw a Steam Deck in person for the first time the other week and was blown away by it. Very impressive thing.

I'd definitely recommend it. Although it's expensive, the money I've saved on games through the Steam sales has more than off-set that. Being able to play games like Elden Ring, Deathloop and Fallout New Vegas on a portable system is just brilliant, then there's an absolute load of free games (Sonic Triple Trouble 16-Bit, for example) that you can load on the console to enjoy. And then there's the abilty to mod. Left 4 Dead 2, modded so that all the zombies look like Dr Zoidberg, keeps me far more amused than it actually should. 

From a retro perspective, it's had me revisit games that aren't available on any modern console - games like the Curse of Monkey Island, Prince of Persia and Bully. 

If you're tempted, I'd definitely recommend you give it a go. 

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Left 4 Dead 2, modded so that all the zombies look like Dr Zoidberg, keeps me far more amused than it actually should. 

My group of friends have an embarrassing amount of play time on L4D2!
One of my mates who hadn’t been on in a while came on and forgot he had Ugandan Knuckles as zombies and had an absolute nightmare. Terry Crews Old Spice Tank and Evanescence Goofy Smoker are also worth a look. Really dumb mods.

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

From a retro perspective, it's had me revisit games that aren't available on any modern console - games like the Curse of Monkey Island, Prince of Persia and Bully. 

If you're tempted, I'd definitely recommend you give it a go. 

How does Prince of Persia stand up these days? I absolutely loved the first two of those games when they came out on the PS2

Edited by Chest Rockwell

24 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

How does Prince of Persia stand up these days? I absolutely loved the first two of those games when they came out on the PS2

Fairly well. While I owned the original games, I didn't actually play them - so everything I say here is without the rose-tinted glasses of nostalgia for the game itself; although I definitely have nostalgia for this genre and era of gaming, so make what you will of that. 

On the whole, the games are still a lot of fun, and the time mechanics are brilliant - and make the platforming really enjoyable, rather than frustrating. I've heard people describe the combat as repetitive, and while that's certainly true, I didn't have a problem with it.

The puzzles, on the other hand, are shit. They break up the aspects of the gameplay that I enjoy, and they can be very elaborate. If there was a mod to remove them from the game completely, I'd use it. I don't like puzzles of this nature in modern games either, though - so perhaps you wouldn't feel that way.