WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

I finally managed to get the emulation up and running on my Deck and I’ve been playing Wind Waker. It plays like a dream. I’ve been admiring the NES back catalogue and thinking which games I want to play that I never had as a kid. I tried Metroid but wasn’t a fan. I assume the SNES version is a massive improvement. Got my eye on Contra next.

8 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I hope so! One of my favourite RPGs ever, and no fucker played it.

I never actually completed it, but I really enjoyed what I played. I’ve set up my Wii again to revisit some of my old favourites, so I’ll need to give this another go.

Pandora’s Tower is still my favourite out of the trilogy of former Japanese exclusives that they released at that time. I’m almost too scared to touch that one, in case it’s aged badly and ruins my memory of what I’ve always viewed as a tremendous game.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up Like A Dragon:Ishin today so looking forward to playing it, although having to learn everyone’s names as they all go by different ones as it’s based in the 1800s is going to be a ton of work. 

The series no longer being called Yakuza is also going to take some time getting used to.

PS Plus Extra had a ton of games added today that I haven’t played, Horizon Forbidden West will be fun although I finished the first one and loved the gameplay I just couldn’t get into the story at all. 

Big fan of Borderlands 2 so I’ll  be playing 3 although I’ve heard it’s not great and also looking forward to seeing what Scarlett Nexus is like. 

Edited by TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

Dead Space remake is a 10/10, yet was also a bit of a slog for me to get through due to my own stupid decision to replay the original in December. It's really faithful and I was pretty much doing everything on autopilot. They delivered on everything they set out to improve, the dreaded astroid section is fixed along with all the other spacey stuff, most of the weapons that aren't the plasma cutter aren't trash anymore, the new contact beam and force gun absolutely fuck (still not big on the flamethrower), ditto all the added secondary firemodes that can do some cool shit in tandem, I like setting up a wall of the laser traps, chucking the gravity well thingy in the middle and watching limbs fly! I was a little worried at the added, ugh, "side quests", but it ended up just being a couple of things I'd want to do anyway, one expanding on Nicole's story (and I think that would have been hard to miss otherwise) and one to find a way to open all the doors/lockers in the game. When I come back for a new game+ run in a couple of years I'll be able to fully appreciate this. Don't be a noob and play The Callisto Protocol, Dead Space, Dead Space 2 then (practically) Dead Space again in the space of like three months. It's too much.

Got Atomic Heart downloading. I'm not sure it'll be good, but it'll definitely be interesting! These are the type of releases I love Game Pass for.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Found this YouTube channel today where Karl Pilkington annd other celebs are added into video games, it’s hilarious.

Funnily enough I also found this channel a few days back. Karl Pilkington talking to the Fallout 4 salesman slayed me. 

• Paid Members

I went into Atomic Heart really expecting to enjoy it from the trailers but once you’re in there, boy it can be a slog. 
It’s like the game is trying really hard to be several things and barely succeeds at any of them. It’s Prey but not as scary with worse crafting, it’s Wolfenstein but the combat is rough and the protagonist is a nobody, it’s Bioshock but the atmosphere is blander and the upgrade system is all over the place.

It throws every idea it has at you and barely explains them. So far there has been about 6 ways to lockpick doors, there’s crafting but so many different materials and it uses them for ammo too so it’s either use the guns you have or have no ammo and melee until you can make new ones. It gives you an energy gun early that requires no ammo but the tradeoff is it can’t kill anything so why bother. 

The area I’m in now, without spoiling too much, is outside and there are cameras and robots everywhere but the stealth mechanic is so poor that it was actually easier to me to run in a straight line through everything to the objective.

There are huge load times the game tries to disguise behind elevators or travel cutscenes and I’m on Series X. I was in a lift out of a lab for about 60 seconds of silence as the game loaded the outside.

The game’s been living on borrowed time since I started it and it opened with what felt like half an hour of walking slowly as the game explained itself to me, but several hours in now and it’s getting worse if anything. Will likely just move on to something else if this next area is no better.

Playing Ion Fury at the moment. It's my first time trying a self conscious "Make something like it used to be made" (which isn't a design philosophy I particularly enjoy) boomer shooter (since realising this is a thing now) and it's an absolute blast!