WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

The last one was fiddly as fuck as well!

Was looking for a new game to start and settled on Arkham Knight. But for some reason it just made me reminisce about the brilliant Sleeping Dogs was. I’d love either a sequel or a similar game. I know loads have the horn for Yakusa games, maybe I’ll try that one I started and gave up on another go. 

I like the concept of the Yakuza games, but do be warned, they are cut scene heavy. I can't be arsed to sit through 10 minute videos followed by 5 minutes of game followed by a 15 minutevideo, but loads of people don't mind it. 

37 minutes ago, gmoney said:

I like the concept of the Yakuza games, but do be warned, they are cut scene heavy. I can't be arsed to sit through 10 minute videos followed by 5 minutes of game followed by a 15 minutevideo, but loads of people don't mind it. 

Yeah that’s what put me off, couple that with abysmal acting and it’s a no for Kool Keith, Klive. 

2 hours ago, Merzbow said:

The Yakuza games are just very manly soap operas, the main draw is the story, characters and cutscenes.

I mostly play them these days for the random nonsense and mini games.

Hell I'm almost 20 hours into Like A Dragon: Ishin and still haven't completed chapter 5 because I'm happier just pissing about with side content.

To be honest though I really don't care about the main story so far, blandest in the entire series imo. Basing the game around real historical events and people just isn't clicking for me.

Regardless of whatever name they have given him, Kiryu is clearly still Kiryu for the most part. 

3 hours ago, Uncle Zeb said:

Because the pause button works, you see.

Wouldn’t that just pause it? You’d still have to watch it when you unpause. I’m a fan of games that let you skip to the next screen once you’ve read the subtitles, saves a lot of time and you don’t miss out on story. 

• Paid Members

I don't mind long cut scenes or large number of them in games as long as the story is good, the characters engaging and they supplement the gameplay they wrap around by making me care more about what I'm doing and why. 

It's when they are used in spite of a good story or to cover poor character depth or to create the illusion of character development without it really enhancing the gameplay experience of the world they become a chore. 

• Paid Members

I’m 6 hours into Like A Dragon: Ishin and similarly to @The King Of Swing I’m only just starting Chapter 3 but have finished every Karaoke song, chopped 500 pieces of wood and spent the rest of my time collecting lottery tickets and fishing.

Edit: Will also concur I’m not massively into the game’s story on this one either. I miss Kamurocho and seeing familiar faces but everyone has new names is farting my head.

Edited by FelatioLips

• Paid Members
On 2/24/2023 at 1:35 AM, CleetusVanDamme said:

I'm going to need to run through Binary Domain again to set this right!

Update: It's still fire. It just plays like a standard Gears clone, but the fun tone and mental story make it a blast. The hit feedback on the relentless robots puts the ones in Gears 4 to shame. For variety's sake I probably shouldn't have went with Big Bo and Cain on my team 100% of the time they're available again, but how can you not pick a guy whose response to "any last words?" is "tell your momma I loved her!" and a robot that is literally French as fuck? Exactly.

FPS boost has it running like a dream now. I was lucky if it hit 30 for even a few minutes back on the PS3!

10 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

it just made me reminisce about the brilliant Sleeping Dogs was. I’d love either a sequel or a similar game.

It still lives rent free in my head too. There's sadly nothing else like it on modern consoles.

Have you ever tried Mad Max? It's one of the few non-Rockstar open worlds since Sleeping Dogs that I didn't get fed up with. Like SD there's a big focus on the crunchy, satisfying melee combat. That, the big daft car battles and the wasteland weather occasionally trying to kill you help it stand out from the usual fare. It's a gem!

Edited by CleetusVanDamme

4 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Yeah that’s what put me off, couple that with abysmal acting and it’s a no for Kool Keith, Klive. 

You can skip the cutscenes and still have a blast with all the side content which is what a lot of people mostly play the games for these days, myself included.

The main stories have always been convoluted, macho nonsense imo which is part of the charm for many, but for the most part I haven't been fully invested in the main stories since Yakuza 3.

Yakuza 0 is the big exception though, love everything about that one and leveling up by literally investing money in yourself is peak taking the piss.

Still though I can understand them not being everyone's cup of tea.

• Paid Members

I also loved Mad Max. Couldn't believe how much fun it was when I played through it because I don't think I'd previously ever heard anybody talk about it or recommend it, and I got it for next to nothing on the Xbox store. It's maybe a bit too repetitive for some, but I didn't get bored.

Likewise Sleeping Dogs was fantastic. I do love a melee combat game if anyone has other recommendations (other than the Arkham series!)

Just now, Arch Stanton said:

Likewise Sleeping Dogs was fantastic. I do love a melee combat game if anyone has other recommendations (other than the Arkham series!)

Shadow of Mordor reminded me of the Arkham games combat. Just with swords, obvs! Just go windmilling in to a pack of orks and do a cool execution on the last one standing!

I finished Like A Dragon:Ishin over the weekend and like everyone else I didn’t really give a toss about the story either, probably because it’s not a mainline game.  The side content for this one is ridiculous though it was like I couldn’t take a couple of steps forward without jumping into a side mission(not a complaint) but by around the 7th chapter I just wanted the game to end to be honest, I maxed out the Wild Dancer fight style pretty early in game and absolutely battered every boss after that with no struggle what so ever