WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

2 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

I do love a melee combat game if anyone has other recommendations (other than the Arkham series!)

An oldie but a goodie: The Warriors. From the PS2 era but I think it's still on some storefronts. Not to be confused with a later, inferior game with a subtitle.

And watching the film's not a prerequisite; I hadn't, but thanks to the game I rectified that ASAP.

Mini Motorways has replaced Vampire Survivors as the game I waste far too much of my time with. I'm not sure why I like it, exactly - if you've not played it, it involves you building roads between buildings to keep traffic flowing - but there's something so engrossing and relaxing about it. I'd highly recommend it. 

• Moderators

Been hopelessly addicted to Slice and Dice on my mobile. Roguelike dungeon crawler with dice for combat. A bit like darkest dungeon but without all the tedious bullshit. The demo is long enough to give you a good flavour for it so if it sounds interesting I strongly recommend it. It was an instant purchase for me.

30 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Mini Motorways has replaced Vampire Survivors as the game I waste far too much of my time with. I'm not sure why I like it, exactly - if you've not played it, it involves you building roads between buildings to keep traffic flowing - but there's something so engrossing and relaxing about it. I'd highly recommend it. 

I couldn't quite get the hang of Mini Motorways, but I can definitely vouch for its predecessor, Mini Metro. It's the same sort of game, except you're faffing about with train tracks instead of roads. Connect stations, add bridges, throw in a few upgrades to carry more passengers, and generally make sure everything's moving along as smoothly as possible. It's really quite lovely.

On 3/9/2023 at 3:05 PM, Keith Houchen said:

Was looking for a new game to start and settled on Arkham Knight

Got a little bit into this, went gliding off to start a mission when this vampire thing swooped down and hissed at me. I proper shit myself and squealed “WHAT THE FUCKING HELL WAS THAT” which startled my girlfriend as she was sat next to me. 

Then I got a blood sample from it later on and when Alfred said his real name, I understood why my girlfriend gets so annoyed at the obviously all true posts of “Guy at my work is called Wayne Bruce so we call him Man Bat”. Quite often I’ll be watching telly and she’s scrolling on her phone. Out of nowhere she will shout “THATS KIRK LANGSTROM!!!”

• Awards Moderator
On 3/10/2023 at 10:16 AM, Chest Rockwell said:

Been hopelessly addicted to Slice and Dice on my mobile. Roguelike dungeon crawler with dice for combat. A bit like darkest dungeon but without all the tedious bullshit. The demo is long enough to give you a good flavour for it so if it sounds interesting I strongly recommend it. It was an instant purchase for me.

Thanks for recommending this! Been playing on and off all day. 

Enjoyed this easter egg too... 

Screenshot_20230311-205806_SliceDice.thumb.jpg.fa784d126ca459e38e890120b9e92797.jpg

The Resident Evil 4 Remake demo is definitely tougher than the original game, it feels like they're trying to teach you to play a less arcady style and to conserve ammo unlike the original which was pretty cartoony and let you blast everyone.

Chainsaw guy takes every little bit of ammo and grenades mixed with some melee to kill just to get a meager 3000 pesetas.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

The Resident Evil 4 Remake demo is definitely tougher than the original game, it feels like they're trying to teach you to play a less arcady style and to conserve ammo unlike the original which was pretty cartoony and let you blast everyone.

Chainsaw guy takes every little bit of ammo and grenades mixed with some melee to kill just to get a meager 3000 pesetas.

We were thrilled with how 4 Remake has came out because the original 4 has aged horribly. We've done the demo a few times each now and pre-ordered the deluxe edition off the back of it. Very excited to play 4 as what seems like a "proper" Resident Evil rather than a clunky action game.

• Paid Members

I've never been able to get on with the Resident Evil games. I suspect it's sacrilege but the only ones I've managed to enjoy are Revelations 1 & 2. Got a free copy of Resi 4 from a competition and gave it a go - managed to get about a third of the way through but it just mostly feels like a procession of putting your back to a wall and blasting your way through waves of the same few enemies and hoping you picked up enough bullets that they don't run out early.

I should maybe try one of the remakes, it sounds like they're a very different experience.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

Resi 4 was probably the only one I ever enjoyed and that was on the Wii. It was a fun game with those controls. Otherwise I find them far too stressful.

The Wii version is the best version precisely because of the controls. The controller versions are so clunky.

• Paid Members
On 3/10/2023 at 9:47 AM, RedRooster said:

There's a guy on YouTube called Real Civil Engineer, and he applies his knowledge to games like this. They can be quite interesting. 

According to my girlfriend, Hogwarts Legacy is the best game she’s ever played. She’s 100% on the cheevo front but was slightly miffed she did it in under 80 hours as it was billed as well over 100. 

She’s now moved on to Destroy All Humans 2 which seems to have the same style and humour of the first. So if you liked that, you’ll no doubt like the sequel.