WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

Just now, Uncle Zeb said:

My friend's nana liked Alex Kidd in Miracle World, if that's useful to anyone.

That’s great! Love how that game is timeless and spans generations. Thank so much for sharing! Made me grin like fuck!!

• Paid Members

Resi 4 is my favourite game ever. I've owned it on six different consoles! This remake's in a situation where it can't lose and can't win. I love Resi 4 so much that I even loved cheap knock-offs like Cold Fear, Dark Sector and The Evil Within, of course this will be amazing. But man, I'll miss the campiness of the OG, and (probably) not getting to sing along "HEY! IT'S THAT DOG!", "I see the President has equipped his daughter with balleesteecs too", "no thanks, bro" etc will be a shame.

I'm just going to try and enjoy it for what it is, like the 2 and 3 remakes, a different new take on a classic. It's not like the originals are going anywhere.

5 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

the original 4 has aged horribly.

You're small time! Surely you didn't expect some boy scout simulator where you sit around a campfire singing Kumbaya? Then again... maybe you did.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, CleetusVanDamme said:

Resi 4 is my favourite game ever. I've owned it on six different consoles! This remake's in a situation where it can't lose and can't win. I love Resi 4 so much that I even loved cheap knock-offs like Cold Fear, Dark Sector and The Evil Within, of course this will be amazing. But man, I'll miss the campiness of the OG, and (probably) not getting to sing along "HEY! IT'S THAT DOG!", "I see the President has equipped his daughter with balleesteecs too", "no thanks, bro" etc will be a shame.

I'm just going to try and enjoy it for what it is, like the 2 and 3 remakes, a different new take on a classic. It's not like the originals are going anywhere.

You're small time! Surely you didn't expect some boy scout simulator where you sit around a campfire singing Kumbaya? Then again... maybe you did.

“Where’s everyone going? Bingo?” In the remake demo is enough to convince me the camp will still be there.

I played through the demo and thought the enemies were quite weak, some of them were dying to one bullet and a kick, it’s cool to see secrets being found in this demo, like if you discard everything in your inventory a secret room opens up and you get access to the TMP, also inputting a code at the title screen gets you access to Mad difficulty.

Its a first day purchase for me too, although I’m biased as it’s one of my favourite gaming series.

Edited by TildeGuy~!

14 hours ago, Uncle Zeb said:

My friend's nana liked Alex Kidd in Miracle World, if that's useful to anyone.

My grandfather, who passed away last year, only ever played one videogame in his life - The Secret of Monkey Island on the Amiga. When I was a young boy, I was struggling with some of the puzzles, he helped, then ended up playing the game himself. 

During the pandemic, he started to develop dementia - the lack of visitors meant that he wasn't getting much mental stimulation at all, sadly, and the deterioration was swift. However, during one of the last conversations I had with him, he unexpectedly brought up Monkey Island - and how much he enjoyed it. It felt like having a conversation with the "old him" - before dementia struck. I'd thought the days of speaking to him like that were gone - he was really confused and in a lot of pain - but I'm so glad that we were able to have that moment, before he passed away. It's amazing how much of an impact a videogame (or TV, or film) can have on someone. 

• Paid Members

My Gran 'til her dying day thought that you needed a VCR to play computer games, and never understood them in the slightest, but was always happy to buy me Sonic The Comic when I went round to visit, and put up with endless hours of me wittering on about whatever games I was playing, and drawing level designs for made-up platform games all the time.

My Grandad tried to put a bit more effort towards understanding it, though it was usually of the, "are you winning?" variety whenever I was playing my Game Boy at their house. I had a great-uncle who owned and played a Mega Drive, though, and that felt incredibly weird to me as a kid, that old people could infringe into something that was so obviously My Thing.

My Dad used to talk about playing Asteroids and Space Invaders in pubs when they first came out, but the only games I ever knew him to play were Championship Manager, Colin McRae Rally, TOCA Touring Cars, and Operation Wolf. My Mum used to play Columns every now and then on the Mega Drive, and was ridiculously good at it, then probably never played another game again until she got a tablet a couple of years ago and now spends a lot of time playing colour-matching type games. 

In terms of family memories, it's mostly my older brother that I associate with a lot of games - he used to babysit us a lot when my parents were out or working late, and that usually meant sitting playing the Master System while he did his homework; I've mentioned before that the Master System lived in my brothers' bedroom, plugged into a shit black and white TV. So the Master System and Mega Drive often remind me of those times, specific games - Streets of Rage 2, Altered Beast, Alex Kidd In Miracle World - more than others.

As far as playing games with kids, when my closest cousin was five or six, and I was 15/16, she always wanted to be doing whatever I was doing, so more often than not I'd just play a single-player game and hand her a controller so that she thought she was doing something. When she was old enough to play properly, I'd usually find games that I could let her win without making it too obvious. 

We were babysitting my girlfriend's nephew recently - he's almost five, and obsessed with Monster Trucks. I was running out of ways to keep him engaged, and found there was a Monster Truck game on PS Plus, so downloaded that. He seemed so confused when I asked if he wanted to play it, and I don't think he ever understood that what he could see on TV was me playing it. He watches so many YouTube videos of people playing games like this one that I honestly don't think he realises that it's something you can play, it's just a video to watch for him, I don't think he has any concept of video games as a thing.

• Paid Members

None of my grandparents took any interest in computer games, but when I was about 8 my grandad did buy me a comic from a newsstand that was unbelievably violent and had to be confiscated from me. I remember it being so gory it was frightening, but I've no idea what it was. Silly old grandad. 

• Paid Members

I remember playing Asteroids, Galaxian, and Mr Do on Atari 2600 with my gran. She enjoyed Mr Do, but couldn't quite "do it". She actually played enough to get a blister on her thumb once. It was my 2600 (the Darth Vader) that she'd bought me using 5p coins she saved one year. Eventually I saw one in a junk shop, a really old one with all the switches, and I bought it for her so she could play Mr Do whenever she wanted to. 

My best family video game experience will always be the Daytona USA cabinets in Blackpool where you had like 8 in a row in Coral Island. I fucking love Daytona as it is but getting everyone together and having the joyful glee of that music and smashing people against the walls was something that will always stick with me. Plus sometimes I'd win so you know, that's always good. I love the games where everyone actually has a chance.

• Paid Members