WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

I've not played for a while. I have Street Fighter Duel a look, and it's pretty interesting. You don't have to put any money into it as it's pretty generous with giving out its 75 different currencies and resources. I've managed to get some of the rarer or more popularly used characters. 

I've also been playing Tap, Dig, My Museum! On my phone. It's on Play Pass, so completely free and gives out diamonds etc every few hours. You just dig up fossils and assemble the skeletons of prehistoric critters in your museum, people come and visit and the money they pay is used to further fund the museum and extra digs. 

I reinstalled the Skullgirls mobile game as well. It has really good mechanics and nice simple controls that use the touch screen. Again it's pretty fair with the free stuff, but is probably a little slow. I need to get back on the subreddit and add some friends as that'll probably help my progress as well. It's the best fighting game I've played on a mobile. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

I bought a game!  Metroid Prime Remastered for my Switch.  It's odd playing a game where they've upgraded the graphics but not the sound or gameplay.  As a modern player, was not happy when I died after 40 minutes to discover I'd missed the manual save point and had to start again!  It is a lovely game though.

Time to finally pack up the old Xbox as well, I'm going to buy a PS5 at the start of the new financial year and play Stray.  The PS5 online package looks like it comes with enough free games to keep me entertained for years.  It's actually hard to motivate myself to play games after a day working on... games, but I do need to force myself back into it.

I've just completed Persona 5 Royal, and after 120-hours playing the game, I was certainly ready to play something else. I hadn't realised how invested I'd become in the game world though, as I felt rather sad when it was all said and done; knowing that was likely the last time I'd interact with any of these characters. On the whole it's a very good game, but I'd never play it on anything other than the easiest setting, to plough through the story and gameplay. The final boss fight, even on the easiest setting, takes quite some time. 

• Paid Members

I'd love to reply Persona 5 but the first 4 hours or so is basically endless cut scenes and I just can't face having to go through them all again. But easily one of my favourite games. I too was pretty upset when it ended and I would never get to hang out with the sexy nurse, sexy news reporter and sexy chess player again.

1 hour ago, Dr. Alan Grant said:

Are there are Destiny 2 players here? I’ve just installed it on my PS5. It’s always seemed a bit overwhelming jumping into a game that has been running for years and gets regular updates. Any tips for beginners?

Play through all the single player story stuff first. It will get you used to the game mechanics, level you up a fair bit and get you some starting armour and loot.

After that you can do public events, strikes, try the PVP etc. There is a ridiculous amount going on so take your time. 

• Paid Members

Everybody's Gone To The Rapture - what an absolutely beautiful experience that was. I couldn't stop taking screenshots. Not to everybody's tastes I'm sure due to its very slow walking pace but I really loved that game. 

Think it's time for a big game now so Assassin's Creed: Odyssey next. Should take a while...

7 minutes ago, SpiritOfTheForest said:

Not to everybody's tastes I'm sure due to its very slow walking pace but I really loved that game.

I was halfway through before I discovered there's a run button, as its effect is barely distinguishable at first till it builds up speed.

Edited by Uncle Zeb

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, Uncle Zeb said:

I was halfway through before I discovered there's a run button, as its effect is barely distinguishable at first till it builds up speed.

There is indeed but yeah it's only marginally quicker. To be fair, points for realism: as opposed to other games where your character sprints around effortlessly, Everybody's Gone To The Rapture is more similar to me when I go for a run, dragging my sorry corpse around at a speed of 1.5 miles an hour. 

10 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Bloody marvellous game. Shout out to the top shagger Alkibiades!

Looking forward to it as I love all things Greek mythology. I played Origins (my only ever AC game) but I'm one of those trophy hunting weirdos where I like to go for the Platinum and so Odyssey will take me ages. Should be a good time!

10 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Bloody marvellous game. Shout out to the top shagger Alkibiades!

I love the gameplay in Origins, Odyssey and Valhalla but truly could not give a bollocks about the story.

I was playing through Odyssey last year and was just frantically skipping through most dialogue trees and cutscenes. My girlfriend came into the room and the mission I was doing involved following a trail of petals in a beach to meet a man for some kind of gay affair.

I've maintained this was accidental but she believes I was having some kind of breakdown and this was a cry for help in the world of gaming.

Edited by Ironic Indie Lad

• Paid Members

Currently playing OliOliWorld and Horizon Forbidden West.

OliOliWorld is really great, addictive and fun to look at. Need more games like this.

Horizon is beautiful to look at, the dinosaur fights are satisfying but despite the incredible amount of work and detail put into it there's just something about it that is completely uninspiring. It has most the ingredients of what should be a classic but it just lacks any heart or the joy of discovery that it should have. 

3 hours ago, Ironic Indie Lad said:

I love the gameplay in Origins, Odyssey and Valhalla but truly could not give a bollocks about the story.

I was playing through Odyssey last year and was just frantically skipping through most dialogue trees and cutscenes. My girlfriend came into the room and the mission I was doing involved following a trail of petals in a beach to meet a man for some kind of gay affair.

I've maintained this was accidental but she believes I was having some kind of breakdown and this was a cry for help in the world of gaming.

I adored Origins because it was like a big 19th century grand tour of Egypt - sun, sand, ancient ruins with some gameplay thrown in.  Valhalla however was like a wet weekend visit to northern England - cold, boring and full of cretins. 

2 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Horizon is beautiful to look at, the dinosaur fights are satisfying but despite the incredible amount of work and detail put into it there's just something about it that is completely uninspiring. It has most the ingredients of what should be a classic but it just lacks any heart or the joy of discovery that it should have. 

This was my experience exactly. An absolutely soulless, joyless game despite its undeniable beauty. 

I am feeling a bit burned out on big AAA games in general at the moment. I haven't played anything on Series X or PS5 in a while. I am mostly playing retro stuff on the Switch online service. Splitting my time between Earthbound and Metroid Fusion at the moment and having a lovely time.

Metroid Prime is reminding me that we've lost a lot in the transition to open world game design - the levels are so meticulously designed to deliver gameplay, with replayability as you get new abilities.  That sort of design can't really exist now in big open worlds.