WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

• Awards Moderator

Voice of my childhood Jaz Rignall posted the UK games chart of 20 years ago. 

What struck me: packed with absolute gold. Really high quality chart that have sustained. Though I looked at this week's chart and it was pretty high quality. Interesting how that doesn't correlate with music where I can't identify the vast majority of today's chart. 

And so many racing games! Not a genre I'm bothered about but the 'realism' introduced by playstation brought in a wave of people who could get behind a driving game. 

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

What struck me: packed with absolute gold. Really high quality chart that have sustained. Though I looked at this week's chart and it was pretty high quality. Interesting how that doesn't correlate with music where I can't identify the vast majority of today's chart. 

Is that because you remained a fan of popular modern games as time past but not so much with modern popular music over the same window rather than an decline in quality of the current music chart?

Look at that Japanese chart with their eccentric tastes. Bet if they had Croc they wouldn't still be playing their Lame Boys for some shit called Pocket Monster.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Onyx2 said:

And so many racing games! Not a genre I'm bothered about but the 'realism' introduced by playstation brought in a wave of people who could get behind a driving game. 

For all the genuinely brilliant games on the PS1, in my head I still mostly associate that console with driving games - partly because my family were all into motorsports, so we owned most of them, or at least played the hell out of the demos, but it does feel like a golden era for the genre, and while there's a couple of big franchises left, it's not even a genre I really think about any more.

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, Tommy! said:

Is that because you remained a fan of popular modern games as time past but not so much with modern popular music over the same window rather than an decline in quality of the current music chart?

That is definitely a thing but ironically I don't think charts are 'mainstream' anymore, due to the range in ways people absorb music and particularly new music now. Whereas games is still a largely narrow window of exposure.

Look at this week's chart:

UK all formats retail chart – 11 March

1 (1) Hogwarts Legacy (PS5/XSX)
2 (3) FIFA 23 (PS5/PS4/XO/NS)
3 (5) Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (NS)
4 (2) Metroid Prime Remastered (NS)
5 (4) God Of War Ragnarök (PS5/PS4)
6 (10) Grand Theft Auto 5 (PS5/PS4/XO/XSX/PC)
7 (9) Minecraft (NS)
8 (7) Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (PS5/XO/PS4)
9 (11) Nintendo Switch Sports (NS)
10 (13) Animal Crossing: New Horizons (NS)

Metroid is ALREADY 20 years old.

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

That is definitely a thing but ironically I don't think charts are 'mainstream' anymore, due to the range in ways people absorb music and particularly new music now. Whereas games is still a largely narrow window of exposure.

Look at this week's chart:

UK all formats retail chart – 11 March

1 (1) Hogwarts Legacy (PS5/XSX)
2 (3) FIFA 23 (PS5/PS4/XO/NS)
3 (5) Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (NS)
4 (2) Metroid Prime Remastered (NS)
5 (4) God Of War Ragnarök (PS5/PS4)
6 (10) Grand Theft Auto 5 (PS5/PS4/XO/XSX/PC)
7 (9) Minecraft (NS)
8 (7) Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (PS5/XO/PS4)
9 (11) Nintendo Switch Sports (NS)
10 (13) Animal Crossing: New Horizons (NS)

Metroid is ALREADY 20 years old.

Is that true for games and a reasonable comparison with music charts? Do the game charts include people playing stuff on gamepass on the way that music charts include streaming on Spotify?

I think if anything the music charts have made more effort to adapt to how the medium is consumed, no?

Edited by Chest Rockwell

How is GTA V on the best selling list every week? Surely everyone on Earth owns it at this point. 

Been working my way through Wo Long on Gamepass. The first boss was a bastard, but most of the ones afterwards haven’t given me too much trouble. It’s super satisfying one-shotting enemies with my massive hammer.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Alan Grant said:

How is GTA V on the best selling list every week? Surely everyone on Earth owns it at this point. 

Isn’t it something to do with in game currency? Buying the game new is cheaper than buying a megalodon card but you get one free when you purchase the game brand new? Something like that. 

I might have to return to Wo Long. I gave up at the first boss, mainly because I didn’t have a clue what I was doing! Went to upgrade skills and was met with a message about I can’t apply them with my current set up. Didn’t even know I HAD a current set up! 

1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

I might have to return to Wo Long. I gave up at the first boss, mainly because I didn’t have a clue what I was doing! Went to upgrade skills and was met with a message about I can’t apply them with my current set up. Didn’t even know I HAD a current set up! 

I levelled up a fair amount before I beat him, grinding the nearby enemies and putting all my xp points into the wood virtue to increase my health. It’s also helpful to use the weak enemies to get used to parrying (I think it’s called deflecting or something in this) cause that’s essential for the boss. Took me about 15 attempts. If you do beat him, co-op opens up then so future bosses will be a hell of a lot easier. 

It sounds like the message you had was for the wizardry spells. You need to be a certain level for a specific virtue to use some spells. So a level 4 spell in the red fire virtue is unusable unless you’ve levelled up that virtue to 4 in the first place. 

39 minutes ago, Dr. Alan Grant said:

I levelled up a fair amount before I beat him, grinding the nearby enemies and putting all my xp points into the wood virtue to increase my health. It’s also helpful to use the weak enemies to get used to parrying (I think it’s called deflecting or something in this) cause that’s essential for the boss. Took me about 15 attempts. If you do beat him, co-op opens up then so future bosses will be a hell of a lot easier. 

It sounds like the message you had was for the wizardry spells. You need to be a certain level for a specific virtue to use some spells. So a level 4 spell in the red fire virtue is unusable unless you’ve levelled up that virtue to 4 in the first place. 

Ah that helps a lot, thanks! I’ll go back and take on the enemies and level up, don’t they respawn after you rest? That’ll do nicely!

51 minutes ago, Dr. Alan Grant said:

Yep, they respawn. There’s a big cat monster not far from the boss. You can get a decent amount of xp from him. 

Oh maybe in after a few hours! That fucker kept ruining my shit with one swipe of his massive paw!