WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members
23 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Horizon is beautiful to look at, the dinosaur fights are satisfying but despite the incredible amount of work and detail put into it there's just something about it that is completely uninspiring. It has most the ingredients of what should be a classic but it just lacks any heart or the joy of discovery that it should have. 

I'm really enjoying Horizon - I don't know how you felt about the original, but I definitely agree that this one lacks the joy of discovery of the first. In the first game, figuring out what happened in the past, what's happening now, who Aloy is, and how she fits into all of that, drives you towards more exploration just as much as it does towards continuing with the story.

In this one, Aloy already knows everything, and you're just running around after Mcguffins. I'm not that far in, so have only once encountered the baddies, so there is still a mystery at the heart of it all, but it's not enough to give you that sense of "I need to keep going to figure this out".

Gorgeous game, love the combat, and can happily play it for a long time in a single sitting, but I'd struggle to say I actually care about it.

• Paid Members
Just now, BomberPat said:

Gorgeous game, love the combat, and can happily play it for a long time in a single sitting, but I'd struggle to say I actually care about it.

Spot on. It's a pretty decent time killer but when I put it down I'm not raring with excitement to get back to it as soon as I can like I would be with a truly great game. I felt somewhat the same with the first one but the sheer novelty of giant robot dinosaurs and a unique world made it more exciting. Now everything feels very samey. I doubt i'll complete it but it's scratching an itch for me at the moment.

The first one was just that little too much ‘ubisoft’ to be a classic. It has the big Sony first party game feel and cinematics and it occasionally has the mystery and discovery of a  Zelda game but it’s just a bit hollow. Which is a mad thing to say about such a big game with a pretty dense combat system. I think it’s just a world I don’t want to spend time in which is where I get the ‘Ubisoft’ thing from. That’s how I feel about AC games. Although Odyssey broke the mould.

Edited by Mr_Danger

I loved pretty much everything about the first Horizon, but I'm holding off on the second because they've decided to make the DLC exclusive to PS5, which I don't expect to have for another few years yet.

Fully appreciating Zero Dawn's lore does depend somewhat on your willingness to seek out and absorb the bits and pieces dotted around the map, rather than resenting any distraction from killing robot beasts. The main plot events join the dots but it's the optional supporting material that adds colour.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Uncle Zeb said:

Fully appreciating Zero Dawn's lore does depend somewhat on your willingness to seek out and absorb the bits and pieces dotted around the map, rather than resenting any distraction from killing robot beasts. The main plot events join the dots but it's the optional supporting material that adds colour.

And I loved doing that in the first one, but there's not (so far) really enough to give the sequel that added value - you're still collecting sound recordings and bits of text from the old world, but there's not really any mystery about it any more, so that colour is missing.

And I say that as possibly the only person who enjoyed all the weird first-person knocking about in a computer lab and reading walls of text about John Dee in Black Flag.

• Paid Members

Add my name to the ever growing list of Power Wash Simulator fans. I wasn't feeling it ay first, but there is something really satisfying about the little noise ans flash when you manage to get something clean. I'm in the bungalow at the moment, but I've also done the Mars Rover. Is the Tomb Raider and Midgar stuff good? 

13 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Add my name to the ever growing list of Power Wash Simulator fans. I wasn't feeling it ay first, but there is something really satisfying about the little noise ans flash when you manage to get something clean. I'm in the bungalow at the moment, but I've also done the Mars Rover. Is the Tomb Raider and Midgar stuff good? 

Yes the DLC is good but save it for after you have got pretty far into the main game. You will have bought and upgraded a bunch of stuff that will make it far more manageable.

• Paid Members

Haven't done a post in here in a while...

I done been playin:

1) Slay the Spire. Permanently on the list. Must be 2000 hours now across Steam/Switch/Mobile. There have been many pretenders, some of them I have enjoyed a great deal (Monster Train and Roguebook in particular, also any Spireheads should look out for Wildfrost coming out very soon, demo was amazing!) but the Spire remains. 

2) Super Auto Pets. Free to play Auto Battler on Steam and Mobile. This is Spire-esque in its ability to consume hours upon hours of my time. Similar to Spire being my first ever deck builder type game that then sent me down the rabbit hole, this is my first ever Auto Battler. It appears really simple and has an art style which makes people dismiss it, but there is so much hidden depth and synergy to be found. 

You start the game in the shop with no team and 10 gold.  You spend gold to buy pets for your team, and can also buy food items which can buff them or be held in battle to produce various effects. Once you've spent it, you end the turn. The game then searches and finds a team from another player who was on turn 1 in their own game at the time. Your team battles their team automatically until one side runs out of pets. If you win you get a trophy, if you lose you lose some hearts, if you tie you keep your hearts but don't get a trophy. The aim is to win 10 trophies before you run out of hearts.  After each battle you then go back to the shop and repeat.

As you go through the turns you unlock higher tier pets and food items. You can also sell existing pets and cycle them in and out. The game is then an arms race against infinite asynchronous multiplayer opponents, as with every turn the opposition teams will be getting stronger. From people who play Auto Battlers a lot, the main thing they praise this one for is how smooth and seamless the asynchronous multiplayer makes it. Because everyone is playing their own game and then just being matched against a snapshot of someone else's game, you don't have to wait for people to finish their turn or sit in lobbies etc. etc. There have been times where I've been in a no signal area and was reminded that the game is online multiplayer because it's usually so smooth you don't notice it.

For free you get a LOT of game. I have chucked some money at it because it's a small indie developer and I have played 700 hours of it and I think a fiver is the least I can do, but you really don't need to at all. Also the DLC isn't any kind of pay to win nonsense. It just opens up more packs of pets, but when you search for opponents you can filter to people playing the same pack as yours, people playing any packs, or people playing custom packs made up of a selection from the other packs. They're all bound by rules, so each pack will have X amount of Tier 1 pets, Tier 2 pets etc. You can make pretty strong custom packs, but again you can choose not to be matched up against people using them if you wish. 

However, the REAL crack is weekly pack. Every Monday they put out a random pack of pets drawn from the existing ones (including the DLC ones whether you own them or not). So everyone is going in blind on the Monday and you have a week to figure out what synergies are in there, steal ideas from the opposition teams you're up against and try to get as many wins in as possible before it rotates again. This is just endless content and I cannot stop playing it. 

It's free, give it a go, don't be put off by it looking like a flash game. It is great. 

3) Streetfighter 6 Cracked Beta. Been having house sessions on this because a beta weekend was not enough. I love it so far. It's fixed so many of the things I didn't like about 5 whilst keeping the stuff that 5 did better than 4. The only thing I don't like about it is the Drive Impact mechanic. I think it's extremely dumb. Other than that though I think they've nailed it. The neutral game/footsies is a joy to play compared to SF5. Dashes and jumps are less powerful. It doesn't have V Triggers. Also they have taken many lessons from SF5's disastrous launch as it is absolutely packed with content and features. Accessiblity features, single player content for people who care about that, allll of the training features, alll of the lobby and customisation options. Pretty much everything SFV got slammed for not having is in there, plus about 100 neat little touches and features that hadn't occurred to me. Roll on June. 

Edited by JLM

• Paid Members

Oh also Ember Knights! 

Co-op roguelike action RPG. Currently in early access. What I love about it is that it's intended to be played Co-op and offers up to 4 player local multiplayer. Don't see enough of that these days, and especially not in games like this. You *could* play it single player I guess, but so far I've only done it with 3 or 4 of us playing locally. It's loads of fun, and being early access means every month or so we get a fat dollop of new content. 

Looks lovely, combat is fun, great selection of weapons/relics etc. to unlock and lots of fun builds/synergies to put together, but again the main selling point is it's a Hades/Gungeon type game focus on multiplayer co-op. Strong recommend.  

On 3/24/2023 at 4:06 PM, TildeGuy~! said:

Resident Evil 4 Remake came in the post yesterday and I’m having tons of fun with it so far.

I'm seriously tempted by this, but how much joy would I get out of RE4 as someone who has only played (and enjoyed) 7? How interlinked are the plots of the previous games?

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I'm seriously tempted by this, but how much joy would I get out of RE4 as someone who has only played (and enjoyed) 7? How interlinked are the plots of the previous games?

The RE4 plot is very simple (and ludicrous) stuff. It's the only RE game I've ever played and I managed to follow it without feeling like I was missing anything at all. 

Edited by LaGoosh

28 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

It has nothing to do with 7.  It has a tiny bit of lore from Resident Evil 2 Remake and that’s about it really.

If you’ve only played and enjoyed 7 I’ll definitely give 8(Village) a try though.

Edited by TildeGuy~!