WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

5 hours ago, Loki said:

Well, I do got one @Keith Houchen  Amongst my childhood friends and I we have a phrase, still often in use, which is "The SuperCars 2 Rule".

When we were nippers, my mate Dom was much better at games generally than the rest of us, which led to long gaming sessions where he'd relentlessly kick all our arses and obviously crow about it in a really annoying smug way.

One time we were playing SuperCars 2  and he was on a hot streak of beating me and his brother.  I finally managed to win a round, threw down the joystick, proclaimed "I beat you at SuperCars 2" and then refused to ever play him at the game again, citing that I'd beaten him and that was it.

It has become an oft used tactic against Dom where I'll beat him once in a game, say Tekken 3, then declare the SuperCars 2 rule and claim victory, whilst everyone else solemnly nods in agreement.  I did it as recently as last week!  Even Mrs Loki knows the SuperCars 2 Rule and once used it on me with WiiBowling.

It's the pettiest imaginable reason to stop playing a game, and it's ace.

I used to do this with my mate on his N64. He’d obviously be better than us on his console that none of us had but I once beat him on ISS 64 and retired undefeated. He was apoplectic with rage as he demanded a rematch whilst our other mate would tell him “Daz doesn’t even have an N64.” That’s all it took for it to become common practice in our gaming sessions until he stopped letting us play. Fucking only child.

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, Loki said:

Well, I do got one @Keith Houchen  Amongst my childhood friends and I we have a phrase, still often in use, which is "The SuperCars 2 Rule".

When we were nippers, my mate Dom was much better at games generally than the rest of us, which led to long gaming sessions where he'd relentlessly kick all our arses and obviously crow about it in a really annoying smug way.

One time we were playing SuperCars 2  and he was on a hot streak of beating me and his brother.  I finally managed to win a round, threw down the joystick, proclaimed "I beat you at SuperCars 2" and then refused to ever play him at the game again, citing that I'd beaten him and that was it.

It has become an oft used tactic against Dom where I'll beat him once in a game, say Tekken 3, then declare the SuperCars 2 rule and claim victory, whilst everyone else solemnly nods in agreement.  I did it as recently as last week!  Even Mrs Loki knows the SuperCars 2 Rule and once used it on me with WiiBowling.

It's the pettiest imaginable reason to stop playing a game, and it's ace.

My friend and I used to do this at fighting games. I was better than him at Street Fighter, and he was better than me at Tekken. He managed to beat me at Street Fighter while I was playing as Dhalsim, or somebody else I don't play as very often, declared himself king of street fighter and refused to play me again. I eventually said if he could beat me while I was playing as Ryu then I would happily concede that he was better than I was. It was close, but I managed to beat him. 

Then the last time we played Tekken I managed to beat him, and refused to play him again. He said similarly that if I beat him as his main (Paul) then he'd concede that I was King of Tekken. I actually managed to. 

He kicks my arse at Soul Calibur every time though, bloody Kilik. 

@Keith HouchenI stopped playing Yakuza 0 because I can't beat the last girl in the dance-off to get her to come and work in the hostess club. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members

Replaying GTA IV. I've tried not to do it, but I'm at the point now where I'm using taxis to get to every destination. It's not the brick like handling of cars, but there's something about the map and the setup of the islands which seems like it takes an absolute age to get anywhere. Never really had this issue with any other GTA game but it's so apparent here. 

I didn't appreciate it at the time, but Niko is way drier and funnier than I remember. Absolutely one of the better characters in the GTA universe. 

The Ballad of Gay Tony is up next. 

55 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

@Keith HouchenI stopped playing Yakuza 0 because I can't beat the last girl in the dance-off to get her to come and work in the hostess club. 

Christ, so many wrongun moments in this game. Last night I was playing it and the guy went into some cat fight club. My girlfriend was sat next to me doing an illustration tutorial on her iPad with headphones on. I was practically praying for the cut scene to finish in case she looked up. 

1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Christ, so many wrongun moments in this game. Last night I was playing it and the guy went into some cat fight club. My girlfriend was sat next to me doing an illustration tutorial on her iPad with headphones on. I was practically praying for the cut scene to finish in case she looked up. 

Just wait until you unlock the gravure videos 

1 hour ago, Silky Kisser said:

Replaying GTA IV. I've tried not to do it, but I'm at the point now where I'm using taxis to get to every destination. It's not the brick like handling of cars, but there's something about the map and the setup of the islands which seems like it takes an absolute age to get anywhere. Never really had this issue with any other GTA game but it's so apparent here. 

I didn't appreciate it at the time, but Niko is way drier and funnier than I remember. Absolutely one of the better characters in the GTA universe. 

The Ballad of Gay Tony is up next. 

Yep it's the grid layout and traffic on whatever the Manhattan island is especially. I guess that's quite literally what they were going for so fair play. The islands on either side of it then have this topsy turvy industrial layout where that building over there actually involves driving up around the block to get to it. 

It still does a lot they lost with the move to the whole kitchen sink, please everyone vibe of GTA V. Must play it again soon. It's great as a really, really gritty movie whereas V is nothing but a video game. 

• Paid Members
48 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Must play it again soon. It's great as a really, really gritty movie whereas V is nothing but a video game. 

Absolutely. When you take out the mundane 'doing activities with friends' stuff, the actual story itself is very well done and has far more meat on it than I remember. I really never appreciated it back during the release and because it wasn't another 'boys in the hood' affair I never warmed to the characters at the time. Replaying with fresh eyes has really let me see how good it is. 

The radar system for losing the cops is the worst though. Glad they didn't stick with that. 

• Paid Members

Might be wrong, but I thought IV was the only one where regardless of if they can see you or not, you had to be out of the radar to evade them. Where as the others you'll eventually lose them if you stay out of their line of sight. 

Edit - if the GTA V system is updated, they did a good job because it's no where near as frustrating as in IV.

Edited by Silky Kisser

1 hour ago, Silky Kisser said:

Absolutely. When you take out the mundane 'doing activities with friends' stuff, the actual story itself is very well done and has far more meat on it than I remember. I really never appreciated it back during the release and because it wasn't another 'boys in the hood' affair I never warmed to the characters at the time. Replaying with fresh eyes has really let me see how good it is. 

The radar system for losing the cops is the worst though. Glad they didn't stick with that. 

Yeah I think they billed it as a rags to better rags tale. The bit where you have to choose which McGready to off when they’re on the park bench made me put the controller down and think about what I’d done. Plus it has Little Jacob. 

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Yeah I think they billed it as a rags to better rags tale. The bit where you have to choose which McGready to off when they’re on the park bench made me put the controller down and think about what I’d done. Plus it has Little Jacob. 

I did this a few days back and I ended up off'ing Derrick despite Patrick being a knob. I honestly felt a little shame for doing so and he doesn't even answer my calls to remove the wanted level so it was a total balls up on my end. 

Jacob is fantastic. Lots of great moments but the little back and forth in the Helicopter where an exasperated Niko asks if he really needs to smoke a joint at this moment but then realising it's pointless and conceding defeat had me chuckling. 

Edited by Silky Kisser