WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Weezenal said:

If I wanted to try a Batman Arkham game for the first time can anyone recommend the best one to start with please?

Asylum, it's the tightest of the 3 I've played with a good plot.

Edited by Tommy!

Asylum all the way.

The rest are good but Asylum just nails being a Batman game.

Origins has problems (bugs, recycled content) but has some really fun boss battles, makes good use of some lesser villains imo and I enjoyed the investigation stuff. 

All of the sequels imo while being good (Knight took a while to grow on me) all suffered from the move to open world.

Edit.

My only real complaint about Asylum is that the boss battles don't really live up to the rest of the game, imo.

Still a 9/10 though. 

Edited by The King Of Swing

Just now, Keith Houchen said:

Asylum. I’m not into Batman or comics but one aspect I really enjoyed was discovering the back story of each villain. Really added another layer to the game for me, Clive. 

This as well. 

The villains have always been the most interesting thing about Batman. 

Joker can go die in a fucking ditch though.

7 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

This as well. 

The villains have always been the most interesting thing about Batman. 

Joker can go die in a fucking ditch though.

Indeed. Although this was the first time I’d heard Mark Hamill voice him and thought it was incredible. 

5 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Indeed. Although this was the first time I’d heard Mark Hamill voice him and thought it was incredible. 

Oh I agree. 

Hamill is phenomenal as The Joker, I was just thinking out aloud about the character in general.

Troy Baker also did a really good job in Origins. 

Edited by The King Of Swing

• Paid Members

Mark Hamill as Joker is phenomenal. There used to be some great videos of him reading Trump's tweets in his Joker voice. Also some of Billy West reading them as Zapp Brannigan. 

• Paid Members

Finally, finally it's done. 165 hours later. 165 hours! Assassin's Creed: Odyssey Platinum and 100% in all DLCs. Copied and pasted my review from elsewhere with more in-depth thoughts. 

Assassin's Creed Odyssey is such a frustrating game. It's absolutely gorgeous of that there is no doubt and if you have any interest in Ancient Greek history at all you will no doubt enjoy it. Indeed, I enjoyed the historical aspect of it so much I've even bought the real life Herodotus' great work "The Histories" to find out more. The world is simply vast and full of real life places. Even the geography is an accurate representation of Greece. The game is at its best when you're up high looking at the magnificence of the landscape around you. Combat is simple but fun but I found that enemies detect you quite easily when you're trying to be stealthy. The main story is pretty good but does drag on quite a bit (like the rest of the game). The random stuff with the modern day woman - I had absolutely no idea what that was about at all. The further things spiralled away from the main story of Alexios, the more convuluted things got and subsequently the less interested I became.

However for all the magnitude of Odyssey's scale, the world feels weirdly empty. There's very little that makes the places you visit seem alive. Every area also has so many things to do and locations to clear. This is why the 100% took me such an ungodly amount of time, because I felt compelled to clear everything before moving on - and please note this is NOT mandatory to do for the Platinum. As a result, I soon got bored because the literally hundreds of locations spread across the map are all pretty much identical. This was a problem for the main game as a whole - all the different regions you visit more or less look the same. I enjoyed the first DLC Legacy of the First Blade and the Atlantis one had some interesting ideas but at that point I was sort of desperate for it to be over so I could play something else.

If I could describe Assassin's Creed Odyssey in one single word it would be slog. The whole game, as beautiful as it might be aesthetically tends to feel like a constant trudge up a mountain. Nice enough when you look around but really you can't wait to reach the summit. Fully completing it is definitely one of my longest feats in gaming so far. Overall I enjoyed Odyssey but put it this way: it's going to be a long fucking time before I go near Valhalla. Odyssey....aptly named actually because that is precisely what playing the game to 100% felt like.

• Paid Members

A friend overseas has been asking to play some Smash Brothers online against me, which is likely going to be a nightmare given how bad Smash Online is to start with, combined with how unreliable the pub Internet can be. It's got me plying it again, though. I've been playing that Claasic Mode, and I like some of the touches. Ryu's little Street Fighter style career with the characters in the game to represent other Street Fighter characters, then the fight with Ken against Crazy & Master Hand, Terry's fights against teams of 3, and the way they're organised like KoF fights, plus the thought that went into the teams. There's a lot of thought in there. 

Still absolutely no idea how that spirits mode works though. It might as well be in Chinese to me, Clive. 

• Paid Members

Nah Alexios is sound. Really enjoyed the section with Phoebe especially. In an RPG I'll always choose to play as a man because I can relate to him more. Of course, I saw Kassandra in the role of the antagonist but at no point did I think I was missing out having not chosen her.