WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

The only great new* game I've played on PS5 is Returnal.

*Not counting remakes, the Resident 4 was was fantastic.

Largely agree on the open world thing. AssCreed Valhalla as guilty as any in having this massive canvas where fuck all happens. I spend most of my life going to a bunch of similar looking places and doing the same things, I don't want that in a game.

On 5/10/2023 at 6:03 PM, BigJag said:

Steam Deck rival.

Asus are launching this tomorrow. Seems to have a lot of potential.

Yeah I saw Linus enjoying it quite a bit, seems to get more juice out of big AAA games but not on the level that ASUS actually promised.  I think I'd wait and see how Valve eventually respond, I can imagine an upgraded Steam Deck seeing as how well the original has sold.

I'm happy I'm on board with the Steam Deck. It's doing what I need. There'll never be a perfect time to pick up one of these handhelds. They'll all be out of date eventually anyway. Just something you have to accept with that kind of hardware. The Deck will definitely be good enough for a while for me.

I often see posts / youtube suggestions about STEAM DECK KILLERs etc. The price point just kills any discussion for me though. There are quite a few handheld gaming PC's now that are impressive but I'm not going to drop the best part of a grand on one. I think the Steam Deck is going to have that particular niche covered until someone can offer something as good or better at a really attractive price.

In other news, the long awaited follow up to Breath of the Wild is out today. I am impatiently waiting on the post man putting mine through the letter box.

Currently at a 96 on metacritic based on 87 reviews!

3 hours ago, Ironic Indie Lad said:

The price point just kills any discussion for me though

That's why the ASUS stands a chance, it's not much more and they're likely not making much profit. But they're also a a tech giant and can afford to do so, unlike those many smaller companies.

6 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

They'll all be out of date eventually anyway.

Very true, for me it's just as much about Valve working out the kinks than raw power. Things like better ergonomics and cooling, updates to the screen etc.

I bought Zelda.. I was sold on reviewers saying how it feels like a more crafted world this time around.

2k23 NBA and Golf are a ton of fun. Golf is obviously Tory as fuck so going to deck my player out in red to stick it to the bourgeoisie. Just did my face scan for the NBA one so will have a look at how that translates to the courts. 

To get the good stuff they’re micro transactional as fuck but I don’t bother with the customisation too much on these games. 

1 hour ago, Mr_Danger said:

I got Zelda too, I’ll give my initial thoughts in two weeks when I’ve managed to get a Switch off one of the kids and found a couple of hundred hours to try it.

Pretty much how I feel. I want it but I know I won't get to play it nearly enough at the moment. Bloody kids.

• Paid Members
On 5/10/2023 at 6:53 PM, DavidB6937 said:

I prefer Fornula Retro Racing. I'm not a fan of the handling in Hotshot Racing. There was a free DLC for it though, I think. There's a Senna tie in version as well. 

The new Formula Retro Racing World Tour is good as well. There's a bigger selection of vehicles, which all have their own handling style. One set is "racing" cars, so some old style F1 cars, and something that looks a bit like a classic GT3 endurance car. The others are more like street racing cars, and the handling is VERY drifty. There are all new tracks as well. I think it's only about £8 in the Switch sale. 

Phantasy Star Online Ver.2 (Dreamcast) 

Decided to dust off the old Dreamcast and spent a couple of hours on PSO and it's been pretty fun so far.

Shame I never got to experience playing it online. Probably would have blown my mind back when it was first released. 

Edited by The King Of Swing

14 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

Phantasy Star Online Ver.2 (Dreamcast) 

Decided to dust off the old Dreamcast and spent a couple of hours on PSO and it's been pretty fun so far.

Shame I never got to experience playing it online. Probably would have blown my mind back when it was first released. 

There's still a way or two to play online, I haven't done it myself but the Dreamcast group I'm in on Facebook quite often get online. I think the main way uses a Raspberry Pi.

Yeah I've looked into getting my DC online but don't really have the time for it and probably wouldn't really bother playing online anyway.

It's quite relaxing just pissing about offline without any of the modern grind and live service bollocks that makes more recent games a chore.

Still surprises me how nice a lot of Dreamcast games still look even on modern TV's.