WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

19 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Lego 2K Drive is looking like it could actually be pretty fun, it's the WWE 2K devs but they've got some people from the San Francisco Rush and Hydro Thunder games.

Yeah, but the joy of those games is the glorious track design, something that I think goes missing somewhat in open world games.

• Paid Members
On 5/14/2023 at 12:04 PM, Merzbow said:

Lego 2K Drive is looking like it could actually be pretty fun, it's the WWE 2K devs but they've got some people from the San Francisco Rush and Hydro Thunder games.

Hopefully it doesn't have ridiculously predatory microtransactions. I'm intrigued by that Disney racing game as well.

6 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Hopefully it doesn't have ridiculously predatory microtransactions. I'm intrigued by that Disney racing game as well.

It has loads apparently. Fortnite type levels, which at least has the excuse of being F2P. This is £60 on PS5. 

Reviews say it plays well but is full of micro transaction bollocks. Which sounds about right if this is from the mob who make NBA2K.

2 minutes ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

Which sounds about right if this is from the mob who make NBA2K.

Hah! The amount of times I think “I got this in the sale so if I buy some coins I’m still getting it cheap” only to slap myself in the face for nearly falling into their trap!

• Paid Members

Yeah, I'll wait for the inevitable game of the year/ultimate edition to be in the sale. I picked one up for about a quid the other day called Neodori Forever. It's pretty basic, your car is always accelerating and all you need to do is time your drift to get around the corner intact. You have unlimited time, but a limited amount of fuel which decreases further if you hit roadside obstacles, other vehicles etc, but you can pick up extra fuel and coins to unlock new vehicles, extra tracks and modes etc. One of the modes is a free drive mode, which I've not managed to unlock yet. It's fun enough for the pittance I paid for it. 

• Paid Members

Had the fortune of not being scheduled in work Sat-Mon so I've been playing Tears of The Kingdom almost non-stop and still haven't scratched the surface. I stand by the same opinion I had of Breath of The Wild in that it's a fantastic open world game but it's not a Legend of Zelda game.
This one does do a lot more to try and bring it closer to them though with a few more interesting musical themes rather than just generic piano tinkles, and the "dungeon" (they're not really but they're better than the Divine Beasts) I've done was unique and memorable with a proper boss fight at the end. There's a lot more classic style missions in the hub areas too that feel a bit in line with older games, and the side characters are a lot more padded out.
That being said if you don't like crafting then there's a lot to dislike in this. Most of the trials are sticking planks of metal together and gluing a fan to it. My general thoughts on it are I enjoy using the new powers for puzzles and platforming, but got bored of the vehicle building and trials rather quickly.
Weapons breaking is even more frequent in this because it tries to force you to fuse shit weapons to good items to improve them. Really makes combat a drag, even compared to BoTW.
Hyrule itself has some frustrating difficulty curves with little indication of where is safe to go or not. It'll be a very unpopular opinion but I find the world itself lazy. It's Breath of The Wild's map with stuff moved around and they've changed the weather in the four main locations. The big gimmick of the sky islands sees only scraps in the air, hardly much to explore at all, especially compared to the incredibly dull underground area.

I know I sound all negative but I am enjoying it. It's just not unique enough from BoTW and not as good or immersive as Elden Ring. I would love a more linear Zelda title with these controls, a smaller world map but bigger dungeons and towns, no weapons breaking and proper music. Open World Crafting games can get in the bin.

I got hogwarts legacy for the ps4 on Friday....

I can honestly say that it's the most stunning game I've played in a long long time, I find myself stopping and just taking it all in. 

I'm still very early in but I am so happy and into it I couldn't recommend it enough 

7 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

Had the fortune of not being scheduled in work Sat-Mon so I've been playing Tears of The Kingdom almost non-stop and still haven't scratched the surface. I stand by the same opinion I had of Breath of The Wild in that it's a fantastic open world game but it's not a Legend of Zelda game.

Yeah I'm definitely leaning more towards this. Especially as I've been revisiting the older Zelda games through emulation on my Steam Deck lately. They're really fucking good games but they just don't hit the same. It's absolutely the curse of the modern game. There's a sweet spot in the middle somewhere that I think they hit at times but overall they do feel like different games with a Zelda skin on. But I've still enjoyed them so I won't complain too much. I just don't feel them quite as much.

10 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

Weapons breaking is even more frequent in this because it tries to force you to fuse shit weapons to good items to improve them. Really makes combat a drag, even compared to BoTW.

I didn't like the breakable weapons in BoTW, and I'm finding it especially irritating here. It doesn't add anything to the game for me other than frustration, although I understand the resource management side of ToTK is likely designed to create tension and encourage strategy. 

10 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

That being said if you don't like crafting then there's a lot to dislike in this. Most of the trials are sticking planks of metal together and gluing a fan to it. My general thoughts on it are I enjoy using the new powers for puzzles and platforming, but got bored of the vehicle building and trials rather quickly.

Again, I feel similarly. The fact you're forced to do it takes away from the game for me, it just steals away time in which you could be exploring and discovering new things. It reminds me a bit of the forced Minecrafting in Fallout 4 - it feels a little out-of-place, and it detracts from the game world; rather than adds to it. 

Like you, I'm enjoying the game on the whole - it still feels like you're on an adventure with limitless possibilities; and for some people, I'm absolutely certain the ability to build adds to that feeling. I wish it was more optional than it is, though. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I didn't like the breakable weapons in BoTW, and I'm finding it especially irritating here. It doesn't add anything to the game for me other than frustration, although I understand the resource management side of ToTK is likely designed to create tension and encourage strategy. 

Again, I feel similarly. The fact you're forced to do it takes away from the game for me, it just steals away time in which you could be exploring and discovering new things. It reminds me a bit of the forced Minecrafting in Fallout 4 - it feels a little out-of-place, and it detracts from the game world; rather than adds to it. 

Like you, I'm enjoying the game on the whole - it still feels like you're on an adventure with limitless possibilities; and for some people, I'm absolutely certain the ability to build adds to that feeling. I wish it was more optional than it is, though. 

I think the most frustrating thing about the vehicles is they wear off and vanish after a while. So I was doing a trial where I had to fly between islands to get a crystal to open the trial up and on my way back with the crystal attached to my plane, the entire plane timed out and vanished. Not the battery powered stuff but the actual glider part itself is on a limited timer.

It would be great to build a vehicle to explore the world in but it stops you going more than a few hundred feet. I assume so you don’t build a rocket to the end game places. Still frustrating though.

Minor spoilers but you pick up an auto-build power early doors but it’s so poorly implemented because it remembers everything you’ve ever stuck together, so you go to quickly build a cart or plane or whatever and the entire catalogue is just balls stuck to metal or wood stuck to rocks because all the ones you did for puzzles go in there. You have to save them in favourites for them to stick around.

44 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Oof. It sounds like they've dialed up my most hated parts of BOTW. I can't stand endless crafting nonsense. 

I’m the same. I’m just not creative enough to get anything from the vehicle building, and I find resource scavenging tedious. 

That said, I still consider this one if the best games on Switch, which hopefully shows you how good the other stuff in the game is. I despise a key mechanic, yet still consider this an incredible game. In short, don’t let it put you off. 

NBA 2k23 career mode. Christ, it’s like an RPG. I have to try and win over the fans but instead of just playing ace like I’m doing, I’ve just had to get a music influencer to be my mate. This involved taking part in rap battles where you have to choose the correct next line. Obviously for an OG MC like ya boi Kool Keith this was easy but after having to stick up flyers for a vegan hot dog stand before I could play the next game, it’s a bit much if you don’t choose the correct line in a ten line multiple choice sequence. 

Basically it’s just a long winded way of having to say the same thing over and over and over, it can’t be much fun for those watching.