WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

To be fair, you've described a major issue people have with superhero movies too, so it's not that surprising it's taking that route. In fact it's probably more challenging from a video game development perspective because they do need to build things up and give people stuff to do.

42 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

To be fair, you've described a major issue people have with superhero movies too, so it's not that surprising it's taking that route. In fact it's probably more challenging from a video game development perspective because they do need to build things up and give people stuff to do.

Oh absolutely. I just feel like there was a more creative way to present Kraven than this, while still keeping gangs around - they wouldn't necessarily have to be connected to him. It doesn't feel like it works with this particular villain, given his motivations. Perhaps I'll feel different once the final game is released, and they'll manage to balance all of this really well. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, RedRooster said:

So...I have mixed feelings. It looks like a prettier version of the last game, and while more of the same isn't necessarily a bad thing, I didn't really like what they did with Kraven. He's supposed to be a hunter, and Spider-Man is his prey. Fair enough. But why does he have so many goons? If he's trying to hunt Spider-Man because he's bored, why is he getting so much assistance?

I know why, because they need minor enemies for you to beat-up along the way. But surely there's a smarter way of doing that? I'm a little bit over the superhero game formula, in which the main (or a main) villain has an army of followers that you need to take out. It all started with the Arkham games, and it really worked there. It worked in Infamous, and it worked in the Sony Spider-Man games. But for me at least, it's starting to get stale. It makes all of the villains feel very similar and even somewhat interchangeable. 

Yeah I've not seen it but that sounds a bit crap from what you've described. Kraven should be a secondary story, and someone that pops in at inopportune moments to fuck your shit up. A bit like that guy in the first one that set you challenges and copied your moves and that, whoever he was. 

Fuck Zelda, I'm putting it down to play the absolutely gorgeous Warhammer 40k: Boltgun.

It's an old-school boomer shooter but seems to take some notes from modern arena shooters at times, brilliant frenetic combat with a soundtrack that's better than Doom 2016.

spacer.png

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members
23 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Speaking of Warhammer, Power Wash Simulator has just got a surprise 40k update announced.

That could be amazing. Hosing down Dreadnauts and rhino tanks etc. Maybe an armoury. 

13 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

That game looks like utter shit.

Is this a case of the game just being shite or was it a developmental team working against unrealistic logistical expectations?  Not saying it’s the latter because shite games do exist. 

• Paid Members

Obviously I’m never thrilled as a consumer when a game release is shit, but there’s something I find just really sad and more damaging about developers apologising on social media for the shit they put out. 
Regardless of who is at fault, it always reads as “we know we released junk but just hold on and hope we fix it, cheers for the £60.”

5 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

Obviously I’m never thrilled as a consumer when a game release is shit, but there’s something I find just really sad and more damaging about developers apologising on social media for the shit they put out. 
Regardless of who is at fault, it always reads as “we know we released junk but just hold on and hope we fix it, cheers for the £60.”

Couldn’t do that with cartridges and discs, games gone lads etc. 

18 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Is this a case of the game just being shite or was it a developmental team working against unrealistic logistical expectations?  Not saying it’s the latter because shite games do exist. 

Dunno mate, I'm a grown up, I don't play games anymore* :)

*unless it's on the PS2 or Xbox 360. 

• Paid Members

I'm sure James Stephanie Sterling will have an episode of the Jimquisition dedicated to the "Solemn Jpeg" on Monday. There's so much of it around. Games coming out to meet financial deadlines rather than when the game is finished. "we can patch it. People will still buy the game." 

All the talk of Final Fantasy VII got me reminiscing so I've downloaded it on Steam and get some mods to keep it looking vanilla but improve the visuals. There's a bank holiday house party some friends are throwing but I've been having too much being a recluse and playing that instead.

Pining for a Steam Deck I can't afford now.