WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

On 6/8/2023 at 11:29 PM, TildeGuy~! said:

Splooge everywhere

Early 2024.

Bet it releases much later. Looks lovely, though. 

Wouldn't be shocked if SE pushed out that trailer to try and distract from reports that FFXVI pre-orders are apparently not performing to expectations. 

Though being SE, under performing probably means 9.9 million pre-orders instead of 10 million.

Microsoft have a big games showcase later today at 6pm our time. I am hoping/praying they pull out all the stops. No CGI trailers for stuff coming out in 5 years. They need to show gameplay footage of big games coming out this year or next.. Plus loads of good indie Game Pass stuff and maybe a big shadow drop. Starfield better look decent too.

Basically Microsoft going "sorry for Redfall and the lack of big exclusives this Gen, look at all this cool stuff coming soon". 

It's wild that the Nintendo Switch is the only console on form right now, that one two punch of Metroid and Zelda kicked everyone else to the curb.

But yeah Redfall was such a mistake, many of Arkane's team actually left because they were forced to make it.

Starfield looks absolutely bonkers. It will probably be buggy at launch but looks ridiculously stacked with content and fun things to do. The line up for next year looks stacked as well..

I'm going to be all over Cyberpunk DLC and the already announced new Yakuza/LAD this year. Main Forza I'm not too fussed with.

Microsoft showed a lot of variety and genres and this was a very cool showcase. Best of the week for me.

I’ve never owned an X-box but I always like a showcase so I watched, Fable looked like the best thing for me. 

I mean yea, it was better then the PlayStation showcase but about 70% of the games shown are gonna be on the PlayStation anyways.

12 hours ago, TildeGuy~! said:

I mean yea, it was better then the PlayStation showcase but about 70% of the games shown are gonna be on the PlayStation anyways.

I don't even think it matters - by being able to slap "available on Game Pass from day one" on each game, Microsoft essentially made each game their own. The exclusives looked great (Like @Cousin Jim Bob I also found myself very impressed with Starfield, but Avowed and Sea of Thieves: Monkey Island really excited me), but the fact so many brilliant games are available on launch day via Game Pass is a huge selling point for me. I'm seriously tempted to sell my PS5 and upgrade my Series S to a Series X. 

Having had both in the house at one point or another during covid, I couldn't believe what a downgrade the actual interface, load times etc of the PS5 felt like in comparison to the X. It's not exactly going to be a major selling point for most people, I know, but as an actual system in terms of booting up, quick resume, going in and out of menus etc the X is slick as hell and feels like a genuinely current gen high speed PC in a big black box under your TV whereas the PS5 sort of just seems like a mid cycle upgrade on the PS4 in so many ways thus far. 

1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

I'm seriously tempted to sell my PS5 and upgrade my Series S to a Series X. 

I’ve got both the PS5 and Series X. Game Pass is incredible, but I’d never go for one over the other due to the exclusives. Things like God Of War, Spider-Man, Horizon Forbidden West, Ratchet & Clank. Depends if they’re the types of games you play and whether you could do without them.

36 minutes ago, Dr. Alan Grant said:

I’ve got both the PS5 and Series X. Game Pass is incredible, but I’d never go for one over the other due to the exclusives. Things like God Of War, Spider-Man, Horizon Forbidden West, Ratchet & Clank. Depends if they’re the types of games you play and whether you could do without them.

The main things keeping my PS5 on standby are Final Fantasy XVI and the prospect of The Last of Us part 3. If it wasn't for that, I don't think I'd have the console anymore. The PS5 has to be the home console I've used the least in recent memory, which is a bit surprising given how strong Sony's games usually are. While there have been solid offerings this time round, they're very few and far between; at least when it comes to the games I'm interested in. 

The only games I've actually completed on it are the built-in Astro Bot game (which is brilliant) and Spider-Man: Miles Morales; and I've owned the damn thing since launch. 

33 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Played through some of the Final Fantasy 16 demo today, it’s the first 2 hours of the game, had fun with the first bit of combat and then deleted the demo and pre ordered.

I've not had the chance to play it yet, how "Final Fantasy" does it feel, given the changes to the combat system? What's the story/acting like?

Just now, RedRooster said:

I've not had the chance to play it yet, how "Final Fantasy" does it feel, given the changes to the combat system? What's the story/acting like?

Story feels very Game Of Thrones like and the action feels like something straight out of Devil May Cry.

I believe the DMC director worked on it and you can tell. 

1 minute ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Story feels very Game Of Thrones like and the action feels like something straight out of Devil May Cry.

Hmm, I might need to try the demo before buying. I don't like DMC-style combat, so I'm worried that this game might not be for me, even though Final Fantasy as a series generally is. 

Edited by RedRooster