WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

House of the Dead remake: The eshop price finally dropped to something more resembling a fair value (£7-odd) for something I'm only going to drunkplay a few times. Spun it up with a mate last night and we had a good laugh. While Joycons do make for some pretty iffy lightguns, they're by no means the disaster they supposedly were before patches, regularly recentre them and eh, close enough. I don't need to be William Tell.

Alfred Hitchcock Vertigo: A Telltale-like. Low budget, pretty crap voice acting at times, but the twisting story kept me engaged enough to see it through. There's a few nods to try and justify the cheap cash grab of a name (it loves a nice dolly zoom!) and the score was really good. I'm getting more back for it in Cex value than I paid for it. For a free hit? Not bad.

Mortal Kombat (2011): I know "best story mode in a fighting game" is a loooow bar, this is it though and it's still great... when Shao Kahn isn't CCH Pounding you over and over again for a solid hour or so (spamming fire-balls just about got me past him eventually). I like early MK lore more than normal people and it was cool to see 1-3s stories retold in depth. It's a real shame 10 and 11 never matched up. This one nailed it.

On 6/16/2023 at 11:47 AM, The King Of Swing said:

Absolutely sick of Dark Souls wannabes. 

Yup. ‘Souls-like’, ‘rogue-like’ or ‘procedurally-generated’ have become nothing more than useful descriptors to let me know a game isn’t for me. Which rules out at least half of the current indie market.

• Paid Members
Just now, RedRooster said:

Yup. ‘Souls-like’, ‘rogue-like’ or ‘procedurally-generated’ have become nothing more than useful descriptors to let me know a game isn’t for me. Which rules out at least half of the current indie market.

Similarly when I look at a game on Gamepass ot the Stores and they have 8 bit or “retro inspired” graphics it’s also a turn off. The only exception lately was Vampire Survivors.

We’re in a horrible limbo at the moment where there’s seemingly only about 4 genres of games so even though we’ve had more choice than we’ve ever had before, it feels the complete opposite.

• Paid Members

Slayers X: Terminal Aftermath: Vengance of the Slayer

An absolutely bizarre game that takes part in the Hypnospace Outlaw universe. The game is presented to us in real life as a 90s FPS that Zane Loften, one of the characters from Hypnospace Outlaw started making when he was a kid but now he's in his 30s and one of his mates who helped him make it has finished it and released it.
The game inside of the game is presented to us as Zane and his team consisting of himself, Mikey Sykey -the lead singer of the fake band Seepage providing the Nu Metal soundtrack- and Steffanie, a coworker of Zane's at Sloppo's restaurant (who could totally be his girlfriend) fighting against a gang called Psykos ran by his evil stepdad and boss Mevin who have blown up his Mam while he was training in the "training dojjo".
Think Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior or DOOM but filled top to bottom with Nu-Metal, fart jokes and baggy jeans. It's self aware but presented as a totally oblivious moment in time. The art is meant to be rubbish and look like a KoRn album cover, the music is meant to sound like it's from a Kerrang compilation and the fart jokes are meant to be unfunny 13 year old humour but also they are funny because they're meant to be so bad. Similarly to Hypnospace, it might not be entirely relatable but it's incredibly authentic for some 13 year olds in the late 1990s and early 2000s.

As a concept it's unique and interesting and it's that concept that turns what's very much a run of the mill Duke 3D mod into something special. The moment to moment gameplay has solid ideas, like a shotgun that fires glass shards as ammo or enlisting the help of rats by finding them cheese hidden in the level, but for the most part it's very familiar. It controls as you expect for this game and all the guns feel meaty as your enemies explode into piles of limbs and gore. The flow of the game is from the head of a 13 year old with little to no thought other than "is this cool?".
In one stage you're fighting turds in a sewer, the next you've been uploaded inside of a computer. Towards the end of the game, with no irony at all, you're instructed to quickly "head to the Boise Potato Festival". It's creative in that completely grounded and unimaginative way kids can be where one cool idea is all they need and the rest is an afterthought. We have the space ninjas, now let's just have it take place in the local housing estate because my mates live there.
The enemies are all rotating 2D sprites, the gore is over the top and the levels all have that authentic jagged and oddly lit design. The fact it was shot together by a kid isn't hidden either with some deliberate bugs and glitches, level design that hasn't been fully thought through, and things like mismatched font or spelling mistakes (including in the title of the game) giving the whole thing an unprofessional and rough aesthetic.
The game isn't long with maybe only a dozen levels including a few secret ones, but they're meatier than classic games. You won't be speeding through a stage with a 3 minute PAR in this, with casual attempts taking in the area of 20-30 minutes a level if you go off exploring for secrets.

Is it as good as the games it imitates? Not really, but it's still pretty good if you're looking for a quick afternoon playthrough. It's charming in a strange way that makes me want to stick some Limp Bizkit on and play Duke Nukem.

scmrgg.thumb.jpg.259bfa766059848eae5db69d1d5a61fe.jpg

Slayers-X-Terminal-Aftermath-Vengance-of-the-Slayer-1.thumb.webp.1616694bb81ac6c0b8b42f98647df806.webp

slay.thumb.jpg.0e240f9e3c8e75b2d0fee24fbc8a2ec6.jpg

Edited by FelatioLips

20 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I'd say so, second hand?

Yeah, someone at work popped it on the company wide comms thing and some BASTARD from IT got there two minutes before me.

He's picking up tomorrow, maybe I'll go in this afternoon and poison their water supply or something.

I'm not massively arsed about gaming, but that seemed a good price and something else for the kids to play.

Fingers crossed Dave comes a cropper* overnight.

*obviously not death :)

21 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Yeah, someone at work popped it on the company wide comms thing and some BASTARD from IT got there two minutes before me.

He's picking up tomorrow, maybe I'll go in this afternoon and poison their water supply or something.

I'm not massively arsed about gaming, but that seemed a good price and something else for the kids to play.

Fingers crossed Dave comes a cropper* overnight.

*obviously not death :)

I own one, as well as a PS5. That's a bargain. Great tidy system with Game Pass.

Just one thing to consider, it’s great for game pass but with no drive you are beholden to the Xbox store if you want to buy anything outwith game pass. Places like CD Keys are good for some titles but you may miss out on the odd bargain at retail stores.

• Paid Members

PS5 with Series S here too, probably play Xbox a bit more. Series S is excellent little box, really fast at loading games up. You can connect a hard drive for non-X/S games that directly off the drive.

Gamepass is a must.

Edited by Weezenal