WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

I've picked back up Chrono Trigger for another run. As always I got a bit stuck at Magnus because I'm rubbish, so took a little break and read a few tips, tried again and past him.

I'm just about to battle Dalton for the first time and it really is a  great game. Having also given up on FF7 and never completed it more than once I'm hoping to see CT through this time at least.

On that note how do FF1 - 6 hold up these days?

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

I've picked back up Chrono Trigger for another run. As always I got a bit stuck at Magnus because I'm rubbish, so took a little break and read a few tips, tried again and past him.

I'm just about to battle Dalton for the first time and it really is a  great game. Having also given up on FF7 and never completed it more than once I'm hoping to see CT through this time at least.

On that note how do FF1 - 6 hold up these days?

I started Final Fantasy V last week and it's OK. I wouldn't say it's as good as 4 or 6, but the job system is interesting and very close to the ability system in 9. I can't tell you much more than that though because on a day off I spent about 10 hours on it and despite saving my game numerous times, I knocked the wire out of my Raspberry Pi and it wiped the entire save back to when I booted the machine up earlier that morning so I've fucked it off.

Edited by FelatioLips

30 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

You can tell how much love was put in to the remake, the attention to detail is outstanding and they've somehow made all the characters that much more endearing.

Yeah the remake really brought the characters and world to life. 

Everyone is much more interesting in the remake and the new additions to the side cast are also pretty memorable. 

Wall Market alone is worth the price of admission. 

Also love that Aerith has some sass and I just bloody love Barrett, the voice cast deserve a lot of credit. 

Edit. 

Also some of the changes are quite brilliant imo

Barrett and his crew being a splinter group of Avalanche who were considered too extreme by the main organisation, for example is really interesting. 

Edited by The King Of Swing

• Paid Members

The Steamdeck went on sale over the weekend, sold out in 15 hours, and the stock levels haven't been updated since. It's annoying because I had one in my basket when the sale went live and then thought better about in-putting my credit card details into a work PC. My plan was to buy one on my phone after my shift finished, but of course by then all the 512gb models were gone. Just bloody typical. The dream of playing Fallout 3 on the bog was so close...

Edited by Accident Prone

• Paid Members

Got a couple of games in the Steam Sale.

Dave The Diver

It's being lauded as "the next Stardew Valley" by a few places, but outside of the pixel graphics it's not very similar at all. You play as a fat bloke that goes diving during the day and serves the fish he catches in a sushi bar at night. As you progress you open up side missions and other bits you can do as you explore deeper into the ocean.
It's a decent game but it has a lot going on and doesn't particularly do any of them brilliantly. The combat is janky, the fishing is repetitive and the dialogue not as funny as it thinks it is.
Fun casual game but it's yet another pixel graphics game with crafting and procedurally generated roguelike mechanics that's been done to death. Worth the £15 I paid, though not much more.

CyberPunk 2077

As someone who worked at GAME when this was released and had to deal with the horrific backlash and frustrating returns policy they couldn't make their mind up on, I've avoided this game like the plague out of spite.
My mate got it a few weeks ago on Xbox and hasn't shut up about how good it is, so I finally got it for £25 and honestly if it wasn't for Tears of the Kingdom it would be by far the best game I've played all year. The dialogue might just be one of the best I've ever witnessed in a game, the characters are unique and fleshed out and the combat and levelling up is meaty and exciting.
It still has a few dodgy moments like T-posing NPCs and some pretty wonky driving, but other than that I don't have a bad word to say about it. A shame it released in such a state because if it came out on launch in the state it's in now, we'd be talking about it in a whole different light as probably the best of this genre.

• Paid Members

Couple of cheap best em ups in the Switch sale over the weekend. Asterix & Obelix Slap Them All, which is a 2d brawler with levels based around some of the earlier Asterix books. Great artstyle and much more straight forward than the XXL games. Gave me a real hankering to pick up the books again, or watch the old animated movies on Prime. 

Also picked up Last Beat Enhanced, which is really challenging, has a nice pixel art style. You earn money in the levels, which can be used to unlock extra characters and buy power ups for your own character. Combat feels good, there's a block mechanic. Managed to get them both for about £7

What very few people talk about when weighing up Cyberpunk - either as an ungodly, underwhelming mess or a sort of horny tech dystopian GTA - is just how effectively weird the atmosphere in it is. I remember reading Neuromancer as a kid and there's a real horror element to it in terms of how AI works. Matrix Reloaded and MGS2 do it as well, in sort of how they play on the fact that paranormal events you think you're witnessing is just machines being weird. Remember that creepy I Love Bees viral marketing website they made for Halo 2? That's another great example. 

Cyberpunk's atmosphere is basically that. There's loads of the game where you feel like you're in the belly of this living, breathing AI beast that's messing with your head. All the small graphical details in terms of the urban design, adverts etc and the genuinely best-ever shortlist sound design just bring it to life. 

That's the lasting impression it had on me, for which I can forgive it almost everything else. It's really cutting the them some slack I know - and it definitely wasn't the intention - but even shit like how wooden the NPCs are, how oddly crap the sky looks compared to the rest of the textures etc all sort of add to it. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

• Paid Members

F.E.A.R.: After jealously looking at all the Trepang2 reviews with nothing to play it on (I'm trying to wait out getting a Steam Deck until there's a better battery model), I reinstalled this. It's still great. Is it scary? Is the story good? Is there any variety in the environments at all? The answer to all of those is lolno, but its stylishly shooting people in slow motion game is top-tier so nothing else matters. That, the ragdolling, the still really impressive particle effects and arguably gaming's most satisfying shotgun means nearly every encounter remains a joy almost 20 years later. The enemy AI to this day still puts most to shame, it really feels like they always have a plan and are in constant, constructive communication with each other. A classic. FPS boost has it running like a dream too.

I'd love to play the DLC for the first time, but it's disc only and seems to be quite rare. I really don't want to end up paying more for that than I did for the three main games combined.

Edited by CleetusVanDamme

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, CleetusVanDamme said:

F.E.A.R.: After jealously looking at all the Trepang2 reviews with nothing to play it on (I'm trying to wait out getting a Steam Deck until there's a better battery model), I reinstalled this. It's still great. Is it scary? Is the story good? Is there any variety in the environments at all? The answer to all of those is lolno, but its stylishly shooting people in slow motion game is top-tier so nothing else matters. That, the ragdolling, the still really impressive particle effects and arguably gaming's most satisfying shotgun means nearly every encounter remains a joy almost 20 years later. The enemy AI to this day still puts most to shame, it really feels like they always have a plan and are in constant, constructive communication with each other. A classic. FPS boost has it running like a dream too.

I'd love to play the DLC for the first time, but it's disc only and seems to be quite rare. I really don't want to end up paying more for that than I did for the three main games combined.

Is it the first F.E.A.R with the “little girl at the top of the ladder” jumpscare? 
That’s all I remember from those games but if if I was gathering up a 360 collection they would definitely be on there.