WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

Funnily enough, I picked up Bus Driver Simulator a couple of weeks ago because it was £3 on sale and I've never played a simulator game before. I don't think it's the same one as yours, Jazzy, the cities here are Moscow and Cologne. It's shit - really, really shit. The graphics would be considered poor even on PS3 and the character models are ridiculous. Some of them shuffle around like zombies and the templates have clearly just been lifted from other games. It's not uncommon to see a bunch of medieval soldiers get on your bus, for instance. It is actually quite chill though to be driving your route, doing your duties. The actual game itself is fun but it quickly gets dull. It's frustrating too - cars sometimes appear from nowhere and pedestrians occasionally walk right out in front of you. Colliding with either commands a hefty 300 financial penalty. Also if you're unlucky with red lights, your entire route is screwed and you get penalties for being late at every stop. Even though there's nothing you can do about it, which I suppose is accurate to  being a real life bus driver, but not particularly enjoyable.

The worst part of the game though is the grind. It's ridiculous. All going well, for a short route you can rake in 1000-1500 coins or for a longer route as much as 3000-4000. This takes between 15 and 45 minutes. To complete the game you need to unlock all buses  which aren't cheap. The most expensive is 28,000 coins and there are others at 25,000 and 22,000. Add it all together and Bus Driver Simulator is going to take a very long time to get it all.  Still though, despite all my criticism there is a certain charm to the game and it's perfect for sticking on a podcast to mindlessly drive around. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

I wish Euro Truck Simulator 2 was on Switch, that's still the daddy of all those games for me.

Proper podcast game. Hopefully they'll have Power Wash Simulator fixed soon as the Spongebob DLC seems to have messed up the autosave function and progress system for some reason. 

• Paid Members

Bus Simulator City Ride is on mobile as well. There's a free version with the first few missions and routes available, or the full version is £4.39. The controls are well done, but is probably better suited for short bursts as it can be a bit demanding of your phone's processor. It's a little more in depth as well, you can build a fleet of buses to drive on the routes you've unlocked and run your little transport business. 

• Paid Members
On 7/14/2023 at 2:23 PM, SpiritOfTheForest said:

Funnily enough, I picked up Bus Driver Simulator a couple of weeks ago because it was £3 on sale and I've never played a simulator game before. I don't think it's the same one as yours, Jazzy, the cities here are Moscow and Cologne. It's shit - really, really shit. The graphics would be considered poor even on PS3 and the character models are ridiculous. Some of them shuffle around like zombies and the templates have clearly just been lifted from other games. It's not uncommon to see a bunch of medieval soldiers get on your bus, for instance. It is actually quite chill though to be driving your route, doing your duties. The actual game itself is fun but it quickly gets dull. It's frustrating too - cars sometimes appear from nowhere and pedestrians occasionally walk right out in front of you. Colliding with either commands a hefty 300 financial penalty. Also if you're unlucky with red lights, your entire route is screwed and you get penalties for being late at every stop. Even though there's nothing you can do about it, which I suppose is accurate to  being a real life bus driver, but not particularly enjoyable.

The worst part of the game though is the grind. It's ridiculous. All going well, for a short route you can rake in 1000-1500 coins or for a longer route as much as 3000-4000. This takes between 15 and 45 minutes. To complete the game you need to unlock all buses  which aren't cheap. The most expensive is 28,000 coins and there are others at 25,000 and 22,000. Add it all together and Bus Driver Simulator is going to take a very long time to get it all.  Still though, despite all my criticism there is a certain charm to the game and it's perfect for sticking on a podcast to mindlessly drive around. 

Sounds like one of those shovelware mobile ports. There are so many knocking around on various console marketplaces. 

Bus Simulator City Ride appears to have microtransactions on mobile. There's a "bank" for if you need more money, but the money costs real money. It doesn't appear to be pay to win, but would feel less egregious if you hadn't had to pay for the app in the first place. 

20 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

After all these years I'm only now noticing just how fucking dumb some of the characters in Final Fantasy VIII are.

The plot to assassinate Edea is unbelievably stupid, and effectively amounts to them letting her know they’re coming rather than, y’know, taking her by surprise. I still enjoy VIII, but elements of the story are eye-rollingly bad.

Edited by RedRooster

13 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

The plot to assassinate Edea is unbelievably stupid, and effectively amounts to them letting her know she’s coming rather than, y’know, taking her by surprise. I still enjoy VIII, but elements of the story are eye-rollingly bad.

Just finished disk 1 and that was exactly what I was thinking of. 

I was left thinking no wonder you got demoted when Quistis just abandoned her post because she wanted to apologise to Rinoa.

Currently on the missile base and the enemies are comically stupid even by video game standards.

Fun game bit yikes. 

Edited by The King Of Swing

Even for its time, the writing in VIII was horrendously bad. With the likes of Zell, Selphie and Irvine the sex pest you could do a genuine reading that they've just been permanently scarred from growing up in amnesia orphanage, never getting the chance to quite fully form as humans. 

I couldn't even explain to you where the plot ends up in the second half of the game. It was goofy but on rails up until then as a sort of military romance deal but then they go to space, time compresses, there's a lot of stuff about the moon, Laguna's recovered from stomach cramps and is now the mayor of New New York from Futurama. It's all over the place. 

I still love it, of course. And it gave us 90s Japanese soap eurodance battle music:

Remember the Spoony Experiment videos on the series? He must have been one of the first internet gaming personalities. The videos have aged horribly but I still have a soft spot for them. Noah Antwiler flagged unbelievably, but he seems to have genuine mental health issues sadly. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

7 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

Speaking of things aging badly, wasn't Cid an abusive piece of shit when you first meet him in FFVII? 

I'm playing FFVII back at the moment and I've no inclination to do anything with Cid, Cait Sith, Yuffie or Vincent. Cid's a dick, Cait Sith's a grass for Shinra, and Yuffie steals shit from you and has that side quest where she's running away from you in Wutai. Maybe more incentive for Cid as he becomes the leader of the ship.

As for FFVIII songs, this is one of my go-to songs when fucking around on guitar and poorly imitating:

Edited by Sphinx

I just found the Cap of Wind in TOTK after finally hunting down the X's so now I'm obviously going to spend countless hours trying to find the rest of the Wind Waker armour, shame it's not fully cel-shaded though.

Edit: Two Wind Waker pieces and two Ocarina of Time pieces!

Edited by Merzbow

My Final Fantasy VIII journey continues. 

So the team is separated for an extended period and by the time they've reunited, there's a huge level gap between them. 

Squall 39, Quistis 35, Rinoa 30 with Irvine, Selphie and Zell all being level 15. Some blame is on me but the way magic works in this game basically encourages excessive grinding. 

I might be mistaken but isn't character level less important than your junction setup? 

Also D2 is around the time the story just starts throwing mad shit at you.

Sudden power struggle between Headmaster Cid and some weird Jabba knock off that secretly lives in the basement? Knock yourself out. 

Headmaster Cid and Edea are married? Sure let's just casually drop that into the plot.

I think I love it though, but I love X-2 and think X is boring as fuck so my opinion is probably worthless.