WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

I wish I could figure out how to at least like Phantom Pain but I can't. I even think people who love it are sort of insane. I get that it has more gameplay, but it fucking sucks and is pretty much divvied up into endless nonsensical fetch quests that require menu diving and a full on cast and credits sequence each time. It's making fun of the people the thought Metal Gear Solid was too cinematic, by making it overly cinematic. I'm convinced Kojima done a Matrix Resurrections job on it and thought "Fuck it, they're going to make it without me anyway. Let's fuck with them." 

14 hours ago, Gay as FOOK said:

It's crazy that emulating MGS4 is only becoming feasible now. Forever the killer app of the PS3's Cell processor. The whole thing gives me flashbacks to that mental 2006 E3 conference Sony did, where Ken Kutaragi led us through endless powerpoint presentations on the Cell's architecture before the final slide said the PS3 would cost a bomb and you'd need to sell your kids to be able to afford one. 

Multiplatform games always looked better on the 360, which was easily the weaker system on paper. The thing must have been an absolute nightmare to develop for. Ended up being a great system in the end, of course. 

It was a nightmare at the start.  Xbox has always been easy to develop for because it's always been a cut-down PC, and you make the game on PC so it's just a lower-res PC version.  That PS3 had completely different shaders, memory, all sorts.  By the end of the generation though all the tools had been written to allow parity with the other platforms, and then of course they changed direction for the PS4.

Sony still insist on doing everything different though - the PS5 has this 3d Audio system that's unique to the platform, so if you are doing a multi-platform title you're not going to bother with 3d Audio as the whole audio architecture has to be set up for it.

Incidentally, a game I made a few years ago is coming out on Switch this week

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch-download-software/Abandon-Ship-2405815.html

It’s also being ported to Xbox and Playstation.  Can’t speak to the quality of the port, it was outsourced, but it’s a fun game!

Edit: apparently the port is pretty much identical to the PC version

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, Loki said:

Incidentally, a game I made a few years ago is coming out on Switch this week

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch-download-software/Abandon-Ship-2405815.html

It’s also being ported to Xbox and Playstation.  Can’t speak to the quality of the port, it was outsourced, but it’s a fun game!

Edit: apparently the port is pretty much identical to the PC version

That sounds fascinating. 

As a PS5 owner, I'm beginning to look enviously at the Xbox Game Pass. I am a teacher and I'm about to go on my summer holidays and, with June's pay packet and the permission of my wife, I'm going to treat myself.

I probably don't even use the features/get the most out of my PS5 as it is, so would I be safe enough with buying a Series S for making use of the Game Pass etc? The Series X sounds like an immense piece of equipment, but I think I would feel guilt in having two top-end consoles that I don't make full use of.

Basically - looking a bit of advice from Series S owners. Is it a good purchase?!

1 hour ago, StrongStyle said:

As a PS5 owner, I'm beginning to look enviously at the Xbox Game Pass. I am a teacher and I'm about to go on my summer holidays and, with June's pay packet and the permission of my wife, I'm going to treat myself.

I probably don't even use the features/get the most out of my PS5 as it is, so would I be safe enough with buying a Series S for making use of the Game Pass etc? The Series X sounds like an immense piece of equipment, but I think I would feel guilt in having two top-end consoles that I don't make full use of.

Basically - looking a bit of advice from Series S owners. Is it a good purchase?!

The Series S is essentially the game pass machine. It's great for that. I love it for that. It's not as powerful as The X but it's still really good. I'd recommend 

IGN's review of FF16 is the first time that a 9/10 review has actually put me off buying a game.

Maybe it's time to accept that the series just isn't for me anymore. Then again I loved X-2 so what do I know. 

Oh well Remake Part 2 looks great, might download part 1 for another play through. 

• Paid Members

So these MGS re-releases on PS5, will I be able to buy the titles separately, or do I have to buy the entirety of this “Master Collection” thing and get all the extra stuff I don’t really care about (digital comics, soundtrack, etc)?

6 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

So these MGS re-releases on PS5, will I be able to buy the titles separately, or do I have to buy the entirety of this “Master Collection” thing and get all the extra stuff I don’t really care about (digital comics, soundtrack, etc)?

Nintendo are selling them separately so I’d assume other platforms will too.