WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

I love that the collection comes with Metal Gear, and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, but it's pretty funny that it's got Snake's Revenge on. That's Konami for you though, I guess.

5 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I love that the collection comes with Metal Gear, and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, but it's pretty funny that it's got Snake's Revenge on. That's Konami for you though, I guess.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Kojima's name scrubbed from it all, it wouldn't be the first time they've done that.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A and start?

Depends on what game you're playing. In a few of their games it actually handicaps the players rather than helping them. https://contra.fandom.com/wiki/Konami_Code

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, StrongStyle said:

Basically - looking a bit of advice from Series S owners. Is it a good purchase?!

Yes it's a good purchase. If you can buy Gold instead of Gamepass then upgrade to save a fair amount.

I’m absolutely loving Final Fantasy XVI. In spite of the change in combat, for me it feels the closest to a ‘traditional’ Final Fantasy game since the PS1 era.

The story, so far, has been strong; and the combat is really bloody fun. As the game progresses you end up feeling incredibly powerful, and it makes the battles a joy to play through. I don’t particularly like the Eikon battles - they’re a bit slow - but it’s a minor complaint given how strong the rest of the game is.

So I’m 50% through FF16 now and it’s safe to say it’s only really an FF game by name, still having tons of fun with it though, combat is super easy and the Eikon/Dominant battles I’ve had so far have really been epic.

• Paid Members

Skullgirls Mobile did a huge update last night with a new mode and a "backstage pass" season pass thing, which I'm sure would be great if you invested a lot of time into the game. There are daily, weekly, and monthly goals. The toppermost one appears to be a special rare fighter. It's £8.99 for the pass. The stuff on the free one looks decent, and there's a survival mode that's been added in which is interesting to play through. You get in game money, theolite (which is the premium currency but is given out pretty freely if you play the game enough), moves etc, but you don't get XP for your fighters, I guess it's to avoid people exploiting it and grinding using one OP character, two low level characters and an XP booster. It's still fun to play. I'm rambling. It's a lot of fun. If the monthly thing for the pass is operated the same way the coins and theolite subscription is then you'll pay once, and it'll just remind you after the month that you had a subscription and as if you want to pay again. They're good like that.

On 6/26/2023 at 8:57 PM, TildeGuy~! said:

So I’m 50% through FF16 now and it’s safe to say it’s only really an FF game by name, still having tons of fun with it though, combat is super easy and the Eikon/Dominant battles I’ve had so far have really been epic.

If you view Final Fantasy as being about turn-based combat; sure, I can understand why you think that. But what is a "Final Fantasy" game? I'd suggest - if you look at the series as a whole, it's constantly evolving and you could quite easily make that statement at various points in the series, and it would be accurate. 

Final Fantasy VI shifts away from a fantasy setting to steampunk; and the change to VII is even more drastic. X completely drops the world map, before XI goes online. XII has an all-new combat system, XIII is...XIII, XV takes an open world approach - but again forgoes the turn-based combat. 

XVI goes back to a more fantasy-based setting; albeit one that takes heavy inspiration from Game of Thrones. It's as much about the story as the way you play it - a key element of Final Fantasy games. The soundtrack is important, and memorable - and we have battle theme music again. In addition, the soundtrack feels very Final Fantasy. You have chocobos (and chocobo riding), Moogles, "Cid" and a lot of tropes that have existed throughout the series. Arguably, there are more links to what the series started out as than in any FF game for a long time. The only key differences to me are the lack of an explorable world map and the combat. The tone is dark, but they've played around with darkness before - in Final Fantasy VII, for example.

I'm obviously not saying you're wrong to feel that it's a significant departure - it's all opinion at the end of the day. But I couldn't disagree more with "it's safe to say" - I don't think that's true at all. On a separate note, the game has made me fall in love with the series once again - and I say that as someone who enjoyed XII and XV quite a lot.

• Paid Members

Power Wash Simulator's Spongebob DLC releases today at 5pm for UK players. It's £6.49, has 6 Spongebob themed levels, and apparently a new design for the player character in line with the style of the show. Warhammer 40k add-on next. 

I started the Tomb Raider one yesterday now I've finished the main campaign. Cleaning the tail of that fish statue is annoying. 

• Paid Members

The Steam Summer Sale starts at 6pm today, so keep an eye on your inboxes as you'll be alerted if any of your wishlist'ed games get a reduction.

I'll be getting a Steamdeck by the end of July, so I'm hoping to snag Elden Ring or Ys IX at a decent price, but that's wishful thinking. My wish list is predominantly 2D platformers and rogue-likes, so at the very least I'd like to grab all the Dead Cells DLC for a cheap price.