WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members
On 2/24/2023 at 8:19 AM, Gay as FOOK said:

Playing Ion Fury at the moment. It's my first time trying a self conscious "Make something like it used to be made" (which isn't a design philosophy I particularly enjoy) boomer shooter (since realising this is a thing now) and it's an absolute blast! 

Is it actually made using the Build engine, or painstakingly recreated in Unreal? I watched a Larry Bundy Jr video this morning, apparently the game is freely available through piracy because people mentioned something about one of the items on a table being a bottle of moisturiser named "Ogay", then when the developers changed it because they didn't realise it could upset people they got a similar backlash from people at the other end of the political spectrum for "compromising their artistic vision". 

• Paid Members

Hadn't played it in about 20 years but gave Age of Empire II a go on Gamepass. Once you get used to the controls it works pretty well. Quite enjoyed building up my town so it's devastating when the other bastard tribes destroy it (the point of the game).

• Paid Members

I saw a trailer this morning for a remake of Pharaoh on PC. All these old XXXX Grand Strategy games getting updates or remakes. I almost picked up Civ 6 for a fiver on sale the other week, but don't think I would have had the attention span for it. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Weezenal said:

Hadn't played it in about 20 years but gave Age of Empire II a go on Gamepass. Once you get used to the controls it works pretty well. Quite enjoyed building up my town so it's devastating when the other bastard tribes destroy it (the point of the game).

I picked it up during a slow period at work and the pace was much slower than I remember but it was still fantastic. 

I've tried newer RTS games but found them too complex to be fun, I enjoy the more striped back gameplay of C&C, Red Alert & AoE2. Civ 2 will always be my favourite for the same reason, as great as later games are they require a bit too much management and control to dip in and out of. 

Latest venture on PC is Two Point Hospital, having played through a few years back on Switch. It's a nicer looking Theme Hospital, so it obviously fantastic, but what are the DLC packs like? Are they worth it? 

On console I'm dipping in to skyrim again, I'm not one for trophy hunting but with Skyrim it's essentially "play more" so it's fun to try out a different approach to continue leveling up without starting again. 

28 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

Latest venture on PC is Two Point Hospital, having played through a few years back on Switch. It's a nicer looking Theme Hospital, so it obviously fantastic, but what are the DLC packs like? Are they worth it?

In this house, we stan Sir Nigel Bicklesworth! According to my girlfriend, the alien DLC was a lot of fun. 

She just finished the main quest on Hogwarts Legacy and she said it was fantastic. There’s still a lot for her to do in terms of side quests and cheevos. Her favourite game of all time is Fable and she said this game probably tops it. It had the completely immersive world and felt like it was the Potterverse or whatever they call it. 

I guess being a Harry Potter fan will add to what you get out of the game. I haven’t played it and probably won’t, but it looks incredible and the combat looks varied but not too complicated. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

In this house, we stan Sir Nigel Bicklesworth! According to my girlfriend, the alien DLC was a lot of fun. 

Cheesy Gubbins! The snack for people with nothing to lose.

I loved Two Point Hospital and there are things it does much better than Theme Hospital but also things it doesn’t do as well. My perfect game would be the level design and graphical style of Theme Hospital with the content and depth of Two Point.

Two Point Campus was a let down. It took the worst part of TPH (having to beat levels by just filling the hospital with paintings and clogging the building with mandatory repeated rooms) and ramping it up to 11.

7 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

Cheesy Gubbins! The snack for people with nothing to lose.

I loved Two Point Hospital and there are things it does much better than Theme Hospital but also things it doesn’t do as well. My perfect game would be the level design and graphical style of Theme Hospital with the content and depth of Two Point.

Two Point Campus was a let down. It took the worst part of TPH (having to beat levels by just filling the hospital with paintings and clogging the building with mandatory repeated rooms) and ramping it up to 11.

Yep, it had none of the charm of hospital at all. She gave up on it pretty quickly. 

• Paid Members

My whole life I've never got along with first person shooters, I've always found them to be too disorientating, annoying and difficult to play. However, for some reason I got all giddy about the GoldenEye remake finally getting its release recently. Probably because I am a bit of a nostalgia nonce where games are concerned and I always felt like I missed out on it the first time round despite being an N64 owner.

Anyway, I downloaded it as I already own Rare Replay, and expected that I'd give it a go and get fed up with it after the nostalgia pop wore off. Except it didn't, it was loads of fun. I only played on the easiest setting, but managed to complete the story and loved doing it. It's the only FPS I've ever completed. Naturally, I've now moved onto Perfect Dark, which I'm currently enjoying just as much and I'm now starting to think that maybe I've missed out by dismissing FPS games my whole life.

So the reason I've posted this here and not the retro gaming thread is that I'm now asking for recommendations for any FPS games, from any era, that you guys think I might get along with, considering I've enjoyed GoldenEye and PD. They need to be similarly slow paced, similarly easy (auto-aim), and non-horror (because I'm a big pansy where games are concerned!)

Anyone else enjoyed the new GoldenEye remake? 

9 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Naturally, I've now moved onto Perfect Dark

I used to know a guy who worked on the sound design for this. I saw him at a party and asked if he had worked on a particular level, think it was a military special ops one. He said he had and I said I thought so because the names said over the tannoy were the surnames of the Pixies members and I know he was a huge fan. He was well impressed that it had been noticed by someone and gave me a spliff. 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

So the reason I've posted this here and not the retro gaming thread is that I'm now asking for recommendations for any FPS games, from any era, that you guys think I might get along with, considering I've enjoyed GoldenEye and PD. They need to be similarly slow paced, similarly easy (auto-aim), and non-horror (because I'm a big pansy where games are concerned!)

If you have the means to play them, the Timesplitters games are right around that ballpark in terms of gameplay and controls and also a bunch of fun. I believe they are available on the Xbox and possibly Playstation stores as backwards compatible downloads.

The Perfect Dark Zero sequel that is part of the Rare Replay collection I really enjoyed on the 360 at the time too so that might be a natural follow up after you finish Perfect Dark!

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

If you have the means to play them, the Timesplitters games are right around that ballpark in terms of gameplay and controls and also a bunch of fun. I believe they are available on the Xbox and possibly Playstation stores as backwards compatible downloads.

I was just coming in to shout out these. They were made by a few of the original GoldenEye developers. I just picked up 2 and 3 for about £3 and they're still on sale. Good timing if you're on Xbox, Arch!

https://www.xbox.com/en-gb/games/store/timesplitters-2/9NJBX726M8J9

https://www.xbox.com/en-GB/games/store/timesplitters-future-perfect/9n51s9qzmsb6

31 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

My whole life I've never got along with first person shooters, I've always found them to be too disorientating, annoying and difficult to play. However, for some reason I got all giddy about the GoldenEye remake finally getting its release recently. Probably because I am a bit of a nostalgia nonce where games are concerned and I always felt like I missed out on it the first time round despite being an N64 owner.

Anyway, I downloaded it as I already own Rare Replay, and expected that I'd give it a go and get fed up with it after the nostalgia pop wore off. Except it didn't, it was loads of fun. I only played on the easiest setting, but managed to complete the story and loved doing it. It's the only FPS I've ever completed. Naturally, I've now moved onto Perfect Dark, which I'm currently enjoying just as much and I'm now starting to think that maybe I've missed out by dismissing FPS games my whole life.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection would be a good follow on. Combine that with The Orange Box which has Half Life 2 and Portal to get to see where FPS games went next.

If you want to jump straight into a modern single player FPS with a cracking story Titanfall 2 is for me still the boss.

1 hour ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

The Orange Box which has Half Life 2 and Portal

As another non-FPS fan I'll second this. Portal is obviously superb but I also enjoyed what I played of Half-Life 2.